Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Default Good used truck deals are out there, be patient

You just have to be patient but not everyone that is selling a used truck is asking new truck prices.
Been looking for a used truck for my 18 year old son, and found a good one

In Montgomery, Texas

2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax LLM, with mini max tuner and cold air intake, new Michelin tires. New transfer case and Allison tranny ( under warranty) for 2 years or 24K miles. Ranch hand front bumper, camouflage Neoprene seat covers front and back over black leather interior ( not torn up)
5th wheel hook up, and a nice lear camper shell ( that he immediately took off)
Weather tech floor liners
New front end work also. Moog parts
250k miles

$14,000 cash

I have seen guys asking $19k to $22K for trucks in worse condition

Maybe all hope is not lost, keep looking guys. They are still out there
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango
Eight Point

Hunt In: N/A

Let's see a photo of it!
Glad you got a heck of a deal

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Default 08

Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Absolutely love everything about it except the mileage. That’s a sharp truck and appears it has obviously been very well taken care of. You are right that’s a good deal and since it’s a Duramax maybe you will have good luck. With any used vehicle (diesel or not) you take a chance on having something wear out. Of course diesels are way more costly on repairs.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Absolutely love everything about it except the mileage. Thatís a sharp truck and appears it has obviously been very well taken care of. You are right thatís a good deal and since itís a Duramax maybe you will have good luck. With any used vehicle (diesel or not) you take a chance on having something wear out. Of course diesels are way more costly on repairs.

That is true, but at that price I can afford a few repairs...
Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Good lookin pickup bet he puts that camper back on when he realizes it will keep the bedding dry in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

You are not kidding. I have seen lots of people here trying to sell used pickups for more than I paid for new trucks.....what is even funnier are all of the people that post about it being a great deal and how man that one will not last long. I have found that most people have no clue about buying a vehicle. They go to the dealership and fall in love with one and then they just have to have it.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
You are not kidding. I have seen lots of people here trying to sell used pickups for more than I paid for new trucks.....what is even funnier are all of the people that post about it being a great deal and how man that one will not last long. I have found that most people have no clue about buying a vehicle. They go to the dealership and fall in love with one and then they just have to have it.

-john
I agree 100%. I have seen prices on here for the same truck I have and they are trying to sell it for more than I paid for mine 2 years ago.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

FB page called Diesels of East Texas...

You can find some trucks on there...
1/2 ton gas, 136K miles..2010 model, lift kit and wheels....$29,000

I just laugh when I see those
Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Yep they are out there just have to be patient and hunt for them. Bought an 05 f150 lariat 70k miles back in 2010 for 12k blue book at the time was 19k+ took 9 months of hunting but it can be done

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

The most people are buying the 2018 diesel fords, the better the pricing is getting on those 2015 platinum or king ranch f350s

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Dushon
Ten Point

Lots of flooded out trucks out there too. Watch out for those "good deals"

Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

no flood here
Old 02-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Man that truck is really in good shape
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Yep, used truck prices are crazy.

On the flip, my wife has really been wanting me to downsize from my z71 to a mid-size SUV. So I've been to a few dealerships looking at new vehicles and the trade-in value of my truck is laughable.

It's a 2007, Chevy z71 and the dealer offered me like 50% of the low-end private party value (using "fair" condition on KBB).
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
eastxhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Lot for an antique
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
Bowtech Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee, Fayette, KENDALL

captain
what kind of z71 ya got. i have a 2005 and am starting to have issues so looking for a replacement
Bowtech Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #18
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
Lots of flooded out trucks out there too. Watch out for those "good deals"

THIS is so true!! I'm in the market to trade my King Ranch and have been doing a LOT of internet searches. All the dealers I have talked to have also said the "flood" trucks are beginning to surface. Most are NOT from what I would consider a reputable dealer, but rather some "fly by night" advertiser. For those who "would" include a VIN....bad news.

A dealer here in Granbury told me they have shipped a great deal of their used units to the flood areas due to inventory demands there.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #19
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
captain
what kind of z71 ya got. i have a 2005 and am starting to have issues so looking for a replacement

My knock around truck is a 2003 Z71. I put in a new motor, tranny, new front end and started on the exterior stuff. I thank god every day I didnít trade it. 30-40K for a 4wd truck compared to 3k to get it back to speed.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #20
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
captain
It's a 2007, extended cab, LTZ trim. Been a good truck and my daily driver for over 10 years. It does have a little cosmetic damage on the passenger side from a car backing into me in a parking lot a couple years ago.

Probably not much of an upgrade from a 2005.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
GBludau
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

I've been shopping for an recent model ('13 to '16) F250 diesel for several hours day over the last couple of weeks. I'm blown away by the cost of a used F250.

I've almost gone to purchase a couple. Both were 2015 F250 Lariats

One had 39,*** miles, ingot metallic, new all toyo tires, clean as a whistle, 1 owner carfax and the dealer got down to $45,988.

The other almost identical, 30,*** miles, ingot metallic, 1 owner car fax clean bed no scratches for $45,900.
Both were trucks I'd be ecstatic to own and drive.

I considered these deals to be the best due to the lower miles on a F250 Lariat. I even went and pulled 30k cash for down payment. I missed the first one, it sold the night before. The 2nd went to auction and came back, still available at dealership again..wierd.

Now I've been talked into a brand new 2017 F250 Lariat. I've found some right at $54K, but I talked to another trusted dealer who advised me to wait until FEB 15 for truck month to begin and I will get one at an even better price due to the rebates Ford will release.

I figured, heck IF I'm going to spend 46k plus on a truck with 30 - 40k miles I might as well spend 6 TO 8k more on a brand new truck with zero miles, full warranty and a new body and interior!

What gets me, is that I never even CONSIDERED THE THOUGHT of buying a new truck because I drive 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year at minimum! I did not want to take the hit on new truck, but considering what these used trucks are costing...its almost foolish for me not to buy a new one.

I'm waiting on Feb 15th to see what happens with pricing on a new one, but I'm almost to the point of frustration and what my father calls paralysis of analysis due to all the researching and shopping I've been doing. I'm about to say **** it and just buy one and get it behind me.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I've been shopping for an recent model ('13 to '16) F250 diesel for several hours day over the last couple of weeks. I'm blown away by the cost of a used F250.

One had 39,*** miles, ingot metallic, new all toyo tires, clean as a whistle, 1 owner carfax and the dealer got down to $45,988.

The other almost identical, 30,*** miles, ingot metallic, 1 owner car fax clean bed no scratches for $45,900.

I considered these deals to be the best due to the lower miles on a F250 Lariat. I even went and pulled 30k cash for down payment. I missed the first one, it sold the night before. The 2nd went to auction and came back, still available at dealership again..wierd.

Now I've been talked into a brand new 2017 F250 Lariat. I've found some right at $54K, but I talked to another trusted dealer who advised me to wait until FEB 15 for truck month to begin and I will get one at an even better price due to the rebates Ford will release.

I figured, heck IF I'm going to spend 46k plus on a truck with 30 - 40k miles I might as well spend 6 TO 8k more on a brand new truck with zero miles, full warranty and a new body and interior!

What gets me, is that I never even CONSIDERED THE THOUGHT of buying a new truck because I drive 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year at minimum! I did not want to take the hit on new truck, but considering what these used trucks are costing...its almost foolish for me not to buy a new one.

I'm waiting on Feb 15th to see what happens with pricing on a new one, but I'm almost to the point of frustration and what my father calls paralysis of analysis due to all the researching and shopping I've been doing. I'm about to say **** it and just buy one and get it behind me.

Thatís what they are counting on.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #23
Huggybear
Ten Point

I bought a 2006 4 door dodge TRX 4x4 with 65k for 12k.
Huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #24
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Quote:

Man I'm in the EXACT same boat! I don't know what the heck to do at this point. I'm going to continue a little longer on the used search, but I'm very tempted to buy new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #25
GBludau
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Man I'm in the EXACT same boat! I don't know what the heck to do at this point. I'm going to continue a little longer on the used search, but I'm very tempted to buy new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I'm going to wait to see what truck month actually turns out to be. I'm also thinking after truck month there will potentially be better deals on used trucks...maybe. I was told by the GM of a dealer I trust that teuck month and the end of the year are the best deals on new trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #26
kerrbow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Kansas

Saw a 2011 F350 King Ranch on 2coolfishing today with a 141k miles for 27900 or obo.
kerrbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #27
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Good looking truck! Whereabouts in Montgomery did you pick it up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #28
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Yep. Just got the phone call that the delivery truck is an hour out from us. My new-to-me used truck will be here tonight.

Looks like you got a good deal on a great looking truck!

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-13-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #29
eradicator
Pope & Young

So $20K for a decade old truck is a good deal? I must be way out of touch.....I know trucks are high, but this seems a bit much. According to everyone's dialogue, this is normal procedure?
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
So $20K for a decade old truck is a good deal? I must be way out of touch.....I know trucks are high, but this seems a bit much. According to everyone's dialogue, this is normal procedure?
OP gave $14K if that’s the truck you are referring to
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #31
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas: Kinney County and Schleicher County. Louisiana: LaSalle Parish

Nice teuck
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I got a slightly use duramax for sale . 2005 with 260k . Body is a little rough .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #33
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:

Stick with a 15 or newer if youre gunna buy a 6.7. Fixed a few things that had bugs and its got more power. Looking for one for myself right now. I've been watching trucks since last june and the prices are slowly but steadily dropping. I saw another drop with the release of the 18s, good deals are to be found, but you have to be patient.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #34
GBludau
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindiehl7 View Post
Stick with a 15 or newer if youre gunna buy a 6.7. Fixed a few things that had bugs and its got more power. Looking for one for myself right now. I've been watching trucks since last june and the prices are slowly but steadily dropping. I saw another drop with the release of the 18s, good deals are to be found, but you have to be patient.
Good info, I'm trying to be patient! I've got a 2013 F150 Platinum with 160k miles for sale when I get into another truck!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #35
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Good info, I'm trying to be patient! I've got a 2013 F150 Platinum with 160k miles for sale when I get into another truck!

Just turned in my taxes today so when I pay them bad boys off I can pull the trigger on a new to me F350! Wanting a platinum or king ranch but will take a lariat if I have to! Really like the brown leather in each of those options! Budget is 43k or less, which is very doable on a 2015 truck with less than 100k miles. You can find them all day long for under 40k with over 100k miles on them!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #36
Mossback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal county

I canít tell whether ppl are being sarcastic in this thread or not....Yíall that are shopping for used trucks with 75-100k miles in the 40k range are out of your minds. Buy new and put every dealer against each other for the same truck within a 300 mile radius....youíll find an Acorn, I promise ya. Even used there is much better deals out there, you may have to drive a good bit but worth it in the end.
Mossback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #37
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I canít say that I understand the appeal of the super high-end trucks. Power equipment is nice (windows, locks, mirrors) as is Bluetooth and maybe some chrome accents, but you can get all that in an xlt and save $15k+. This is a truck purchase, after all.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #38
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
I canít say that I understand the appeal of the super high-end trucks. Power equipment is nice (windows, locks, mirrors) as is Bluetooth and maybe some chrome accents, but you can get all that in an xlt and save $15k+. This is a truck purchase, after all.

In my case the reason Iím looking for a platinum is because my company is platinum Landscapes. Another reason I wonít buy an xlt is because I want a factory radio with a backup camera in it as I pull a trailer almost every single day. Cloth seats stain and hold sweat bad as well. So itís for marketing and functionality, plus itís a classy looking truck!

Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #39
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossback View Post
I canít tell whether ppl are being sarcastic in this thread or not....Yíall that are shopping for used trucks with 75-100k miles in the 40k range are out of your minds. Buy new and put every dealer against each other for the same truck within a 300 mile radius....youíll find an Acorn, I promise ya. Even used there is much better deals out there, you may have to drive a good bit but worth it in the end.

Itís a diesel motor. My 7.3 has 422,000 miles, and the 6.7 is a dang good motor that holds its value. Mind you these used trucks are still only 2-3 years old, and cost mid 60s new. You canít touch a 2017 6.7 in kr or platinum for less than 60k. My dad had a 15 with 89,000 when he traded it in on a 17. He paid 58 for a lariat with navigation, no sunroof, no led lights, no 360 cameras. The reason Iím looking for a used truck is because in that 2-3 year depreciated price, the payment goes from $950 to around $650. When youíre growing a business you canít just go out and buy brand new stuff even if you can afford it, as I would love to, but itís just not a thing I want to try to do while still being in school!

Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #40
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
OP gave $14K if thatís the truck you are referring to
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #41
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindiehl7 View Post
In my case the reason Iím looking for a platinum is because my company is platinum Landscapes. Another reason I wonít buy an xlt is because I want a factory radio with a backup camera in it as I pull a trailer almost every single day. Cloth seats stain and hold sweat bad as well. So itís for marketing and functionality, plus itís a classy looking truck!

Not knocking your choice by any means, but you can get factory backup cameras in an XL these days. Itís a smaller screen in them though. Or you can get the large full size screen in a XLT. I love the way the Platinum looks, but thereís a few options I refuse to have.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #42
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post

Not knocking your choice by any means, but you can get factory backup cameras in an XL these days. Itís a smaller screen in them though. Or you can get the large full size screen in a XLT. I love the way the Platinum looks, but thereís a few options I refuse to have.
I got the xlt premium in my new f250 it has the bigger screen/navigation etc but only paid 48k brand new. Diesel, fx4, 4 door etc
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #43
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post

I agree, and yes part of my choice is looks. But thatís also why I stepped my price range down to get an older truck! Quoting jobs in a nice clean truck versus an old 1500 Chevy thatís beat up all over does make a difference in some places! Iíve got a work truck, just time to get into something newer and fancier lol

Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #44
JDK
Nubbin' Buck

Any interest in selling the camper shell?
JDK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #45
CEO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I got the xlt premium in my new f250 it has the bigger screen/navigation etc but only paid 48k brand new. Diesel, fx4, 4 door etc
That's the same type of truck I was looking at. Not a big fan of leather so I wanted an XLT but the larger screen. Only found one in the area.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #46
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Good looking truck! Whereabouts in Montgomery did you pick it up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I saw it online and he lives up on Honea/Egypt Road North of new Magnolia...
Coast Guard guy just got home from Kodiak, AK.

Picked up a nice 24' enclosed trailer too....
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #47
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
Any interest in selling the camper shell?

Yes, I am.

Make me an offer on it, and I will make you a deal.

I pull a 5th wheel with my truck about 4 times a year and I don't see me wanting to take it off and on that much.

PM me
Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #48
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

I just happened upon this truck by accident. I heard that a friend of my wife's cousin was trading in his Dmax for a gasser. I made him a sight unseen offer of $40K, based off a picture he texted me. I learned later that the dealership offered him $38k trade in.

The truck is 2016 Chevrolet 3500 4x4 Dually w/Duramax, 15K miles, "WT" package. Has a full screen back up camera, Bluetooth, vinyl floors & seats, & power tow mirrors w/defrost. It's a dang nice truck with more bells & wistles than my 2002 Lariat F350 had!
Palmetto is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #49
JDK
Nubbin' Buck

PM sent.ok
JDK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #50
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Good buy OP, glad you are happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
Lol, yep. That's 95% of Americans. "Who cares about the loan, look what I got" even though the bank owns it.

Last edited by WItoTX; 02-14-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top