Looking for input/feedback 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton crew cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to get a truck. Buddy has a super duty 250. I like the leg room in back but don't need a diesel. Most of my hauling is small motorcycle trailer or just stuff in the truck bed. 1/2 ton doesn't seem to have the same cab size. Boys are over 6' but me...5'8". So it's more for their comfort. Gas mileage not as big an issue because I drive 3.5 miles to work. Give me input on why to choose one over the other. By the way, I like to buy 5-6 year old vehicles. Now...Go....

I am sure I am hunting, or thinking about hunting.

I would say go with a 1/2 ton. My '13 F-150 has a lot of leg room in it, I am 6'2" and can sit in the back comfortably. Mine is the 5.0 V8 and has plenty of power for my needs. A 1/2 ton will pull your motorcycle trailer with ease. I would go with the 5.0L V8 or the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost, I would say to stay away from the plain 3.7 L V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raider4044; 04-25-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I own a F250 and love the leg room in the crew cab. However my F150s work truck has enough room for a grown man to sit comfortably.

Comment

With dodge the cabs are the same. Only difference is if you want a big back seat and a 6.5 or 8' bed. Might check out the mega cab if you really love your kids.

Comment

I just bought a ram 1500 crew cab with the hemi. It has all the power I need plus leg room to spare

Comment

Get a half ton, especially if you don't need the diesel or additional payload/towing capacity. Also, the Aluminum bodied F150's have a much larger back seat and cabin than the Pre-2017 F250's!

Comment

If you don't want the diesel, but want the 3/4 ton truck size, why not get a 3/4 ton with a gas motor? Since gas mileage isn't a big factor to you, you would be good to go.

Comment

I have a 3/4 diesel. I now sold both boats and wish I had s 1/2 ton just due to ride quality. 3/4 beats you to death. Back seat room really isn't much different.

Comment

I have a 17 Tundra CrewMax and the back leg room is unreal.

Comment

Keep it coming....good feedback.

I am sure I am hunting, or thinking about hunting.

Comment

I had a tundra crewmax and now a f250

If you don't need the diesel do yourself a favor and go drive a tundra. Plenty of power and your boys could lay down in the back seat

Comment

My wife has a 2016 crew cab chevy and it has plenty of room in the back seat. It has the V8 that only uses 4 cylinders when it can and the mileage is crazy. I drive over a 100 miles a day so I use a car but I have 2 other pickups at home and neither gets over 14 miles to the gallon. On a trip to Chicago last year I set the cruze control on her truck at 72. It got between 27.1 miles to the gallon and has plenty of power. My suggestion is to not be a Ricky Rodeo kind of guy that buys a 3/4 ton 4X4, jacks it up way in the air, puts light bars on it to drive on a concrete road everyday. Just get a 1/2 ton. You will save money all the way around.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                          I have a 17 Tundra CrewMax and the back leg room is unreal.
                          Me too. More than enough room for me at 6'2'' and a nice ride

Don't miss the 3/4 diesel at all

Comment

1/2 ton. Ford with 5.0 or 3.5 Eco would be my pick.

Comment

If you never plan on hauling anything above the tow rating of a half ton, it doesn't make sense to buy a 3/4 ton. I would go with a Ford with the 5.0 and a 6.5' bed. It may be trivial, but Chevy still hasn't figured out how to put Ag vents in the back seat of trucks, which is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X