308 At Rancho Encantado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 At Rancho Encantado

So, .308 and another running buddy of ours are down at Rancho Encantado (*grumble*stupidjobkeepingmefromhavinganyfun*grumb le*), and I got a call from the boys last night. Evidently, they're the first bowhunting group in the "Bow Pasture" this year and both are jacked up about the opportunity.

They made the run leaving San Antonio around 0300 and were able to make the morning hunt. They (grouping them both together) saw some game, pigs, a decent Axis, smallish 6 and a Russian Boar. Ran into town for lunch and was back at the ranch for the evening hunt.

Now, from what I understood about the evening hunt, sitting in the blind for the boys was somewhat akin to putting on one of those rubber weight loss suits that wrestlers (College and Olympic, not Monday Night Raw type) use to shed weight, wrapping Saran Wrap over that, followed by one of those Arctic type "survival suits" the crabbers use if they fall overboard, having the whole assembly Rhino-lined and then standing about 6" from an open blast furnace.

Nothing much worth noting was seen that afternoon as evidently the critters decided to bow to instinct and find a shady spot to hole up.

One side benefit noted by 308 was that never before in his whole life has his pores ever felt so clean, he sweated out the last 20 years of alcohol he either drank or walked within 200 yards of, and went from a size 42" waist to a 30" in a shade under 4 hours.

Did I mention he said it was a little warm in the blind?

But I digress, hopefully he'll call either this afternoon or evening with a recap on the 150" he's got in the cooler and how he's going to explain the fee to his wife.

I know how they feel. It's HOT down there. Maybe this front will bring them some cooler temps. Good luck this evening guys!

Comment

Sounds just like I remeber it. Oh wait, I hunted in Dec. and the temps. were nice. Good luck guys!

Comment

It was 62 at my place in Cotulla this morning, supposed to have lows in the high50's low 60's thru sunday and highs in the low 80's. Thats about as good as it gets this time of year. I'm about 10 mins from Encantado.

Comment

Hey Ten point, them are some big beers!

Comment

Working...
          X