Coin Collectors ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coin Collectors ...

Looking for info / interest on coins. I have a small coin box of some older, some not so, coins that my dad dabbled with. He was never a big collector. He passed away 9 years ago, and they've just sat here. I've done a little research but not sure of my sources.

I have 25 $2 bills, a couple pieces of foreign currency, bunch (10-15 rolls) of wheat pennies from 1920's, 30's, 40's and a few older; Buffalo head nickels, some half dollars, president head $1 coins and more.

Nothing sentimental but don't know what to do to check value to where I would even sell other than Ebay.

Thoughts, Suggestions & Comments (Mostly . )Appreciated

Coin values never stand still. Using a step by step method finds how much your coins are worth. Popular series and scarce dates are identified. Mintmarks are highlighted and located. Subtle differences in condition are graded to narrow range on value charts. Discover the value in your box of old coins.

This is the site I use to ballpark values for coins I may be interested in purchasing. One thing I've noticed is that old coins seem to have risen in value quite a bit over the last couple years which is good if you're on the selling end. Ebay can also give you a good idea of what coins are selling for. You sure you want to sell your coins/currency? Might want to hold on to them for a while just to see if they continue to go up in value.

Comment

Thanks QB. I'll check it out.
      I guess Im just not sure what Im looking at other than condition, year, and mint.
      I know like the President head $1 coins are valued at $2, and some of the pennies are at 10-13 cents. I don't think that there is a ton there of value, but I also now it can be time consuming, which I have little of at this point.

Comment

you might have to go though them all and check, you don't want to sell a coin that you think is worth a few bucks and it's really worth $100's.

Comment

Most of the currency will only be worth a couple dollars, but check just to make sure.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

$2 dollar bills are worth $2 dollars, know a guy that always gets them from his bank and gives them out for tips and stuff.

Comment

The Presidential dollars are only worth $1...get all you want at the bank for face value. There are a few error ones worth a lot more, mostly with missing or doubled edge lettering.
                Check the wheat pennies in the 20's and 30's...some of those (22D, 22 plain, 24D, and 31S) can be worth a good bit. Lots of good dates in the Buffalo nickel series.

EBay is actually one of the best sources for current pricing. Search completed listings and get a good average of value.

Comment

Don't forget about the steel pennies in the 40's. They have good value too.

Comment

Working...
                  X