Lets try again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets try again....

When I grew up, addressing adults was "Mr" "Mrs" "Yes, sir" "No, sir", "Yes, ma'm", "No, ma'm".

For those of you 40-50+ years of age, why has this changed?

For those of you with kids that still do this, and yes, there are a few, good job!! For the rest, why?

You hit it in your first sentence. "When you grew up". You and I are about the same age. Things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      You hit it in your first sentence. "When you grew up". You and I are about the same age. Things have changed.
      And why have things changed? Seriously, what has changed in society to cause the lack of respect for one another, especially when it comes to our youth? And what can we do to change it?

Comment

It all depends on the parents. I have a 9 year old sister that says yes sir,no sir and yes ma'am,no ma'am. She was raised up around people that do the same. She's polite because she doesn't know of any other way to be.

Comment

Probably because of the same people who posted a topic that was the exact opposite of this, complaining about being called sir. I've found women still like to be called ma'am, but I've caught so much flak for calling folks sir. Still gonna teach my son to though.

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with the older generation not doing their job in raising their children?

Also have to use the correct pronoun. It’s “them” and “they”

Comment

When you order a burger do you say cheese please?

Skinny

Comment

I'm 52 yrs. old. I still address people with Sir & Ma'm no matter if they are older or younger, but that being said, I don't like when people address me as "Sir", makes me feel old

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  It all depends on the parents. I have a 9 year old sister that says yes sir,no sir and yes ma'am,no ma'am. She was raised up around people that do the same. She's polite because she doesn't know of any other way to be.

The last sentence is the whole key!!

Comment

Well, really the whole post is key! Lol
                    But I really like the last sentence!

Comment

Dont blame the child. Blame the parents that didnt teach them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My kid is learning to at 3 and is doing a great job of it. Main problem is parents but what I'm worried about in the near future is the technology they are exposed to. Internet where they can see anything they want, ****ography, songs full of bad messages,cussing etc. Stuff on cable tv.The confusion on genders which I know it controversial. Etc etc list can go on forever

I know this stuff was around when I was a kid and when you were as well but we couldn't get to it easily. Now it's on their phones. You can put filters on but one of their friends won't have a filter or they'll see it somewhere else.

My answer is parents but they/we have a harder job of keeping things kid friendly censored until they have a better/stronger moral compass than ever before. I think technology has hurt us alot

Comment

Society has changed, people are to busy with social media and don’t know how to communicate. Some never learned, a lot of people I associate with still refer to some as ex. Mr. George with George being the first name. Now we have terms like popo, who knows where that came from. Police Officer is a title and sign of respect. Society has gotten lazy in general, go thru a parking lot and see how many cups and trash bags are left where they parked instead of walking 20-30 fit to a trash can. People cannot back up, so they pull all the way to the front of a space. Laziness and probably on phone. Little more than just a direct answer but just expanding on society in general.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                            I'm 52 yrs. old. I still address people with Sir & Ma'm no matter if they are older or younger, but that being said, I don't like when people address me as "Sir", makes me feel old

This. (But I’m 53).

Interesting because I went to Lowe’s this morning and encountered a similar situation. Turned the corner into the hardware aisle and did the bob and weave, both moved the same way to avoid each other with a couple of younger, sideways hat, gauge earring, baggy pants....... you get the picture.

Both of them said “excuse me Sir” at the same time I said “excuse me”.....

There’s still hope

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                              And why have things changed? Seriously, what has changed in society to cause the lack of respect for one another, especially when it comes to our youth? And what can we do to change it?
                              The lack of demand of respect by people who have no respect.

My 11 year old is supposed to use sir, ma’am, Mr and Mrs, thank you and so forth. I have trained her and demanded her to do so. I’m not sure if she uses these words when I’m not around although she is supposed to, but I will silence an entire room and embarrass her if I hear her NOT address an adult in this manner.

My three year old is currently in training.

Not sure what has changed, but it is most likely in my first statement. Telling someone to do something and enforcing someone to do something are two different things. The lack of enforcement, accountability, and discipline is most likely the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X