Fly Fishing Get Aways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Ya know, I can have my stuff packed and ready to go hunting in less than 2 hours. When it comes to fly fishing I am unprepared. I don't have boots, submersible back pack...whatever that is. Im gonna do some research, I am sucking hind teet on this one.
    Haha i have most everything I need and i'm still the same way.

A submersible back pack is exactly what it sounds like, a back pack that will stay sealed down to a certain depth. They're great for cameras, phones, gear, basically anything you want to have on you but don't want to get wet. You could probably get away with a fanny/hip pack, but since a most of the fishing on Christmas Island is wade fishing, you'd want to have everything you need with you. It's also my understanding that you are responsible for carrying your own water for the day, so you'd need room for that.

Comment

Montana is really, really hard to beat. Ennis is a pretty good spot with the Madison flowing by, the Gallatin one drainage over and the Big Hole and The Henry's Fork (in Idaho) within a couple of hours drive. The drive from Ennis to Island Park (Henry's Fork) is as pretty as any place I have been.

If you want to stay in a town with a little night life, Missoula, Jackson Hole, and Ketchum, ID all have really good fishing close by.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
        I go to FL a couple of times a year and sight fish Reds, Snook, Sharks, big and small Tarpon and Trout on the shallow flats out front of Flamingo.

Also, fish out of Key West for Permit, Kings, AJs, Blackfin, Muttons, Cudas, Sharks, Mangroves, Dolphin, Ceros, Cobia etc.

More variety than other areas of FL or most places in the States fly fishing wise. Venice has a lot of variety as well but not the clean inshore water that I grew up fishing.
        Man Flamingo is cool. I went in 2016 and even though we had horrible conditions, we had a pretty great trip. We caught a few good snook including My buddies first snook ever that went about 20lbs. One day out front we found the biggest school of reds I could ever dream up. There had to be 1,000 fish all around us. 30 MPH wind, there were 10-15 big lemons in an absolute feeding frenzy, then throw in the three of us hooking up to fish. It was basically a 3 ring circus. Good times, I need to go back.

Comment

I kinda like Montana myself. Headed up there chasing elk in September, but my 5 and 8 wt's will be packed as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Rainbow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	24538858

Comment

We missed going to Creede, CO last year, but looking forward to it THIS year! I love fishing up there!

Comment

Alaska

Comment

Lee’s Ferry, Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
                  Lee’s Ferry, Arizona.

Interesting. Would have never crossed my mind. Mind giving some specifics on what he fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The salt river in Arizona is supposed to be a good place to fish. It has shallow swift water and deep pools in the dessert mountains. Kinda cool to fly fish around cactus and watch wild mustangs swim across the river. Beautiful place for sure. However we struggled to catch a few small bass and panfish. But in the rivers defense it was mid June with temps pushing 100 degrees by 10am. A local told me that the river authority had released a large amount of water a few days earlier and totally shut down the fishing. The state is full of rivers and lakes with potential. I would really enjoy a cool weather trip back and for sure a trip to fish the Grand Canyon.

Salt river is known for its trout.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      Interesting. Would have never crossed my mind. Mind giving some specifics on what he fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Mainly Rainbows with a few brown trout mixed in. Stay right up the road at the historic Cliff Dwellers Lodge. Beautiful scenery!

Where it all begins. We are Arizona’s largest fly fishing outfitter and oldest fly shop at the crown of the Grand Canyon.

Comment

Don't listen to anyone here Montana is terrible. You will not go out there and catch more fish than you can imagine. Especially with a 2 wt on some of those tiny back country streams. Just get you a bobber and worms and stay home.

Comment

Alaska was awesome. I did a float trip on the Kenai and caught lots of fish. I also have stayed at the Biltmore in N. Carolina and did a guided trip on a local river for trout. That was also alot of fun and my wife was able to enjoy the trip as well.

Comment

Tetiaroa French Polynesia!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Big bones
                              Attached Files

Comment

And GTs in the flats
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X