Raptor ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor ID

Something a bit different today, folks. Around noon today, something hit the side of the house LOUDLY. Investigation revealed the guy in the photo - dead after hitting a window.

Question - what is it?

BTW, yes, we contacted TPWD - the Game Warden for Travis County. We live in Austin, and our house butts up to a greenbelt.

More to follow after we get some guesses/answers.

Have fun.

Dave
    Attached Files

Sparrow/chicken hawk is my guess.

Comment

I think that is a Peregrine Falcon
      Probably chasing something and missed

Comment

coopers hawk

A medium-sized hawk of the woodlands. Feeding mostly on birds and small mammals, it hunts by stealth, approaching its prey through dense cover and then pouncing with a rapid, powerful flight. Of the...

Comment

Cooper's Hawk

Comment

Dead bird

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              Cooper's Hawk
              +1

There is no doubt

Comment

Kestrel. Sparrow Hawk and a true falcon.

Bob Lee

Comment

A possibility it could be a sharp shinned hawk. Almost exactly like a coopers, except slightly smaller. Some guides say the coopers has a slightly notched tail. Coopers is more plentiful. Had 3 last summer and fall that frequented my birdfeeder, must have went south have not seen them since thanksgiving.

The smallest of our bird-hunting Accipiter hawks, this one is also the most migratory, breeding north to treeline in Alaska and Canada and wintering south to Panama. It is during migration that the...

Comment

Looks to be a Cooper's Hawk, they are about the size of a crow. Sharp-shinned are more the size of a Robin.
                    He must have missed the bird he was after but not the window....

Comment

Originally posted by eteranch View Post
                      Looks to be a Cooper's Hawk, they are about the size of a crow. Sharp-shinned are more the size of a Robin.
                      He must have missed the bird he was after but not the window....

Beautiful bird, what ever it is.

Comment

Not a mountain lion for sure

Comment

Another vote for kestrel (aka sparrow hawk. aka blue darter hawk) there's a ton of them coming through here during dove season, I've seen those with the inexperienced eye throw a load of shot their way, more than once.

Comment

Taste like chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                              Another vote for kestrel (aka sparrow hawk. aka blue darter hawk) there's a ton of them coming through here during dove season, I've seen those with the inexperienced eye throw a load of shot their way, more than once.
                              It is definitely not a Kestrel

Comment

Working...
                              X