Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
    218...been a struggle since New Year, time to add an exercise program.
    Get after it bud. I am right there with you. I am at 190 and want to be at 175.

Comment

Interesting progress for me;

As I previously mentioned, I started eating a keto/paleo diet in mid-January and was struggling to see much progress in terms of the scale. I was feeling better, seemed to be losing some inches (or at least bloating), but wasn't seeing much on pee sticks that had me confident and the scale wasn't dropping much at all.

Well last weekend, my wife and I made a trip up to Arkansas to visit her sister. I wasn't feeling very good the first evening and ended up hugging the toilet a couple times that night. I chalked it up to food poisoning from a chick-fil-a salad I had grabbed on the drive (I know, food poisoning from anything chick fil a seems blasphemous). I was down for the count the next day, didn't even wake up until after 5pm.

Was a little off the rest of the weekend, but was able to eat regularly - though my appetite wasn't all that strong. Mainly focused on staying hydrated. Was worried I really cost myself progress at this point and the past month was for not.

Well since we got back on Sunday, I'm down about 7 lbs. Feeling good which is surprising as I'm working 15 hour+ days, and happy to see the numbers coming down. Really want to keep it going. All in all, from the heaviest I've ever been in January, I'm down ~17 lbs. Probably 8 or 9 of those coming after starting Keto.

Thought it was interesting. I don't think it was "keto flu" since I haven't heard of it actually making people sick...but I guess you never know. It may have just jump started something. Gonna be doing everything I can to keep the train rolling.

Comment

Here are the almond/coconut tortillas!! They are way better than I expected and yes I know they are supposed to be round these are all I could do with a pvc pipe as a rolling pin
        Attached Files

Comment

One more pic. They remain pliable and can be made a taco!!.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Here are the almond/coconut tortillas!! They are way better than I expected and yes I know they are supposed to be round these are all I could do with a pvc pipe as a rolling pin

Recipe? I would love to have some street tacos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone here have experience with exogenous ketones? I know it's just putting outside ketones in front of your own but when I cheat a little, it can take me several days to get back to pink pee sticks which is a problem because I also feel crappy until I'm back full bore. Wondering if the ketone drinks might help with all that.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                Anyone here have experience with exogenous ketones? I know it's just putting outside ketones in front of your own but when I cheat a little, it can take me several days to get back to pink pee sticks which is a problem because I also feel crappy until I'm back full bore. Wondering if the ketone drinks might help with all that.
                I'm going to buy some when Vitamin Shoppe gets them back in stock. I'm on the border with them. They are expensive but what the Hades.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  Recipe? I would love to have some street tacos!

Here is the the link for the recipe. I will tweak the recipe a bit next time and post if I get better results.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                    I'm going to buy some when Vitamin Shoppe gets them back in stock. I'm on the border with them. They are expensive but what the Hades.
                    Thomas D. had a good video explanation of them I saw on FB the other night. Definitely not enough conclusive studies done yet and he said "may" induce a kickstart type effect and "may" help with keto flu which is why I'm hoping somebody here has some real experience. Yes, they are expensive and this whole way of eating is expensive (but worth it).

He did say it's definitely instant brain energy.

Comment

Thomas D. had a good video explanation of them I saw on FB the other night. Definitely not enough conclusive studies done yet and he said "may" induce a kickstart type effect and "may" help with keto flu which is why I'm hoping somebody here has some real experience. Yes, they are expensive and this whole way of eating is expensive (but worth it).

I'm with you on the cheat day and help kick start ketosis up again. Instant brain food, well, IDK about that. Fuel for the brain I see but if he is saying it will increase your cognitive ability then, that I'm crying shenanigans. I took 1 dose 2 days ago, given to me by a friend, and I didn't really notice any improvement. Yes, my pee stick was a little darker but that's to be expected when you take in exogenous ketones. At what point is their a placebo effect to taking supplements? If you expect it to work, then the power of suggestion can be strong.

Comment

Goodybeats and Jason Whitrock did pre and post finger stick ketone levels and it did almost double, if not actually doubled, their ketone levels. But, they are both already fat adapted.

Comment

Rhonda Patrick tested some ketone ester (not salt) in liquid form a couple of months ago. The ate a high-carb meal and then raised ketone level from .2mm to 4.5mm within an hour. That's a pretty serious increase!

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                            Rhonda Patrick tested some ketone ester (not salt) in liquid form a couple of months ago. The ate a high-carb meal and then raised ketone level from .2mm to 4.5mm within an hour. That's a pretty serious increase!

Those exogenous ketones will do that. But what's the point if you're eating a high carb meal. I understand taking them will help get you fat adapted quicker. I also heard, they help boost fat burning. I'll be buying some, as soon as Vitamin Shoppe gets them back in stock.

Comment

Well I ordered some that should be here tomorrow. I’m just gonna experiment a bit to see if they help me bounce back from a small cheat any faster.

Comment

My wife and I decided to give this Keto thing a try, at least for a month. I'm not sure it's the "right" plan for me (or ultimately for her), but she's wanting to kick start her weight loss and, hopefully, reduce some of the pain in her back and knees. We decided that we'll attempt Keto until the end of March and then adjust from there, if needed, as I'm not sure it's sustainable for us. I intend to start working out to gain strength and endurance, so I'm not sure how my body will respond on a high fat diet. I will likely transition, at some point, to a higher protein, "clean" eating plan. We'll see.

We kind of jumped right into this yesterday, so I'm a little anxious about the "keto flu." I have plenty of pickle juice and water on hand for the next week, or so! We started simple with what we already had at the house. I researched a bit yesterday, scrolling through this thread and checking a few referenced links. I also have a buddy that has been on Keto for over a year (primarily to help with his Lyme's disease).

I'll follow along with this thread and try to search previous posts for answers, but I'm curious what supplements y'all might take and what macro % adjustments y'all might make when you workout vs when you don't. Any other quick tips are appreciated, as well.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X