No announcement yet.

About fed up with my AR- Accuracy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of people on here that know a lot more than I do about this type rifle. But I tend to think you may have gotten a lemon.
    I have 3 and my worst one will group 5 round groups 0.75" consistently even with me shooting at 100 yards.

I have one that is extremely accurate. It is a 1/9 twist and zeroed 0.75" high at 100 yards with 55gr Hornady SP ammo. I was told it wouldn't shoot the heavier ammo well so I thought I'd give it a try just to see. Posted is a 20 group at 100 yards of 75gr HPR ammo. Point of impact is low right but it still grouped well.

That's why I think you may have gotten a lemon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	223 HPC 75 gr HP (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	24527591

Comment

Just dropping in to say gas guns are harder to shoot properly; also, harder on ammo in general.

Have you tried hand feeding this thing to see what the groups look like instead of it loading from the mag in Semi?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
        Just dropping in to say gas guns are harder to shoot properly; also, harder on ammo in general.

Have you tried hand feeding this thing to see what the groups look like instead of it loading from the mag in Semi?
        Well when the extractor sheared off in October and it would not eject, essentially yes. I’d load a single round at a time.

You can see where my frustration is coming from....

Comment

Get a 20 inch barrel if you want less than 1 MOA. Other than that 2-3" is standard for 16".

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            You have to pull it apart and just rebed it.

When was the last time it was cleaned and decoppered.
            It is cleaned regularly, actually cleaned it this morning before range time

Originally posted by Outback View Post
            Is your barrel free-floated? When I had a handguard that attached to the barrel, my accuracy was very inconsistent depending on downward pressure. I swapped to a free float handguard and replaced the barrel and that fixed it.
            It’s a standard handgaurd. Read mixed reviews on free floated barrels, not the ther ff’ng is beneficial but how beneficial. Theoretically shooting from a benchrest the pressure on the foreend should be consistent as I am not putting any input (touching anything) other than butt plate, cheek weld and trigger/grip

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

It’s a standard handgaurd. Read mixed reviews on free floated barrels, not the ther ff’ng is beneficial but how beneficial. Theoretically shooting from a benchrest the pressure on the foreend should be consistent as I am not putting any input (touching anything) other than butt plate, cheek weld and trigger/grip
              Have you removed the copper fouling?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

If the barrel is not floating and you are shooting a standard clamshell handguard you will NEVER achieve consistent accuracy. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                  There are a lot of people on here that know a lot more than I do about this type rifle. But I tend to think you may have gotten a lemon.
                  I have 3 and my worst one will group 5 round groups 0.75" consistently even with me shooting at 100 yards.

I have one that is extremely accurate. It is a 1/9 twist and zeroed 0.75" high at 100 yards with 55gr Hornady SP ammo. I was told it wouldn't shoot the heavier ammo well so I thought I'd give it a try just to see. Posted is a 20 group at 100 yards of 75gr HPR ammo. Point of impact is low right but it still grouped well.

That's why I think you may have gotten a lemon.

[ATTACH]894022[/ATTACH]

What brand are you shooting? You can’t compare a JP or Larue to and Anderson. They are totally different animals. If yours are Andersons then you have a great argument.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman70 View Post
                    Get a 20 inch barrel if you want less than 1 MOA. Other than that 2-3" is standard for 16".
                    Longer barrel does not mean more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      Have you removed the copper fouling?
                      Guilty.. it’s been cleaned but not with a copper specific solvent. Assumed good ol Hoppe’s 9 would free up copper fowling, but that doesn’t appear to be the case

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        What brand are you shooting? You can’t compare a JP or Larue to and Anderson. They are totally different animals. If yours are Andersons then you have a great argument.

Sierracharlie out…
                        Actually it is a Remington, I also have a Palmetto with a 1/7 twist that shoots just about as well. Don't know about the Anderson rifles. As I stated there are a lot of people that know more about these rifles than me.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                          Actually it is a Remington, I also have a Palmetto with a 1/7 twist that shoots just about as well. Don't know about the Anderson rifles. As I stated there are a lot of people that know more about these rifles than me.

JC

Yeah man there are just too many manufacturers out there unless it’s the same same it’s hard to compare. I have a palmetto that shoots well also

No worries

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Should be better, but I went through 3 different companies on barrels before I found one that shot. They said it was a crown issue. I finally spend the money on a Rainier Ultra match barrel and itll shoot .24" MOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman70 View Post
                              It affects FPS, wouldn't say accuracy.

Comment

You're not shooting progressive twist, by chance?

Comment

Working...
                                X