Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Advice

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    When y'all are saying too "stiff" does that mean the arrow shaft does not leave the rest properly? Could someone explain a little more.

Why do some use an extremely heavy broadhead and others are using a light one? I will assume your trying to get more penetration with a heavier broadhead.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I lurk on the traditional threads a lot. Sometimes I get confused with the lingo and sometimes I over analyze things.

When he says “too stiff”, he means just that. All the arrows come in different spines (.600, .500, .400, .340, .300) because different bows with different specs require a different stiffness of shaft to tune just right. This is true for all bows, not just trad bows. The way we “tune” our bows is to tweak the arrow till everything is correct. We don’t have adjustable poundage or rests that we can use to tune. We do all our tuning with brace height, nock height, and arrow. I hope that all makes a little sense for you.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 12-28-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Ditto what Bisch said. To take some of the stiffness (Reduce spine) out of those shafts to get them to fly halfway right, you'd need to have about 250 grains up front, i.e. Broadhead or combination Broadhead and adapter/insert. If you're set on those 125gr BH's, then add a 100 gr brass insert and see how they fly. May still be a little too stiff, but they'll be a heck of a lot closer.

LD

Comment

Originally posted by Caddo View Post
        Ditto what Bisch said. To take some of the stiffness (Reduce spine) out of those shafts to get them to fly halfway right, you'd need to have about 250 grains up front, i.e. Broadhead or combination Broadhead and adapter/insert. If you're set on those 125gr BH's, then add a 100 gr brass insert and see how they fly. May still be a little too stiff, but they'll be a heck of a lot closer.

LD
        So the weight up front creates a balance of the arrow in flight? That would also change velocity and impact?

Comment

The weight up front will decrease the spine of the shaft. You can get the same effect with a longer shaft. A full length shaft will spine less than the same shaft cut to say, 27 inches. The 27" shaft will require more wright up front to get it to tune correctly with a lighter poundage bow. Velocity and impact would change due to the additional weight. There will come a point, especially with lighter poundage bows, where you will achieve diminishing returns. The overall arrow weight can become to heavy which will reduce a flatter trajectory. You can get the shaft to fly right out of the bow, but the trajectory will look like a rainbow, even at short yardages.
          The best method is to have shafts that are the correct spine or as close to the correct spine as possible, for the draw weight of the bow, to begin with. It will make the fine tuning a lot easier.
          In this case, as has already been stated, a.500 or.600 spine shaft to start with would be the correct solution.

LD

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X