Medical/Health Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical/Health Insurance?

So my wife was let go a couple of months ago from her job and we had our insurance through her work. COBRA is crazy high. $2k per month for me, my wife and two teenage boys. Looked into the obamacare but we make too much to qualify for the tax credits. Cheapest plan is about $1,500 per month and it has high deductibles and high copays. I'm really thinking about not getting any insurance and putting money back each month for doctors visits, etc. Anyone going without insurance?? I know if something major happens I'll be out tens of thousands or more. I'm also getting quotes on catastrophic plans but they have exclusions for pre existing conditions. Thoughts?

I have my wife and daughter on Christian Healthcare Ministries and it is great. This is considered health insurance in the eyes of the government but its technically a health sharing program. They offer three different levels that you can read about in the link below. I have my wife and daughter on their best plan (gold plan) and it is $172 per month each and any bill over $500 is fully reimbursed, cant beat that! Only downside is any regular check up or even sick visit is fully out of pocket with there being no copays.

CHM is the longest-serving health cost sharing ministry in the nation. Learn more about an affordable, faith-based healthcare solution.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
      I have my wife and daughter on Christian Healthcare Ministries and it is great. This is considered health insurance in the eyes of the government but its technically a health sharing program. They offer three different levels that you can read about in the link below. I have my wife and daughter on their best plan (gold plan) and it is $172 per month each and any bill over $500 is fully reimbursed, cant beat that! Only downside is any regular check up or even sick visit is fully out of pocket with there being no copays.

https://www.chministries.org/

X2 on this. We have the same and have been on it for 2 years. Has been super easy to work with and is pretty dang good coverage when you think about it. Especially for people who only go to the doctor for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will look into this. Seems just like a catastrophic plan. That's really all we need. We average probably 3 or 4 trips to the doctor annually as a family so I don't have a problem paying that out of pocket.

Comment

We are on Medishare and it’s great.

Comment

At the very least get you and your family on a catastrophic plan. One major event can break you to the point you would never recover financially.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
              At the very least get you and your family on a catastrophic plan. One major event can break you to the point you would never recover financially.
              Can someone give an example of this?

I always thought hospitals treat you and then you pay them. And the law says you only have to pay $50 per month.

Are there things the hospital can so no to unless you pay cash upfront?

Comment

I have been an agent for over 40 years so I have seen it all. I use to sell individual health insurance until Obamacare.

On the Medishare plans - maybe good/maybe not. First of all it is not insurance so it is not regulated by the state. Secondly, most plans have limits on how much they will pay out. I have witnessed claims that blow by one million and end up two or three times that amount. So if you go that route just make sure to read the fine print and select a plan that has unlimited lifetime benefits (assuming you want to be fully protected). Not saying they are a bad option but you should be aware of any limitations.

The reason Cobra premiums are so high is that your wife's employer was subsidising the premiums so you are now facing the true and real cost for good health insurance.

If you go on the health insurance exchange and are not eligible for subsidies, then look at the highest deductible plans offered. Not a perfect solution but at least your overall liability is capped. I would rather have to come up with a $10k deductible than a million dollar hospital bill. Best of luck to you

Comment

We have the same and been on it 4 years. Daughter has had surgery twice, wife had an incident, daughter broke her finger requiring 3 pins and so far everything has been covered. I use urgent care clinics for me if needed and pay out of pocket which most have a maximum. MemoriAl Hermann urgent care max is 180.00 with exrays and labs.

At this point we are way ahead in the insurance racket game.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Can someone give an example of this?

I always thought hospitals treat you and then you pay them. And the law says you only have to pay $50 per month.

Are there things the hospital can so no to unless you pay cash upfront?

Good hospitals only have to treat you in case of emergency then once stable can ship you down the road to the indigent hospital. So yes if you got shot in the head and lived then any trauma center could send you to Ben Taub for your care.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      I have been an agent for over 40 years so I have seen it all. I use to sell individual health insurance until Obamacare.

On the Medishare plans - maybe good/maybe not. First of all it is not insurance so it is not regulated by the state. Secondly, most plans have limits on how much they will pay out. I have witnessed claims that blow by one million and end up two or three times that amount. So if you go that route just make sure to read the fine print and select a plan that has unlimited lifetime benefits (assuming you want to be fully protected). Not saying they are a bad option but you should be aware of any limitations.

The reason Cobra premiums are so high is that your wife's employer was subsidising the premiums so you are now facing the true and real cost for good health insurance.

If you go on the health insurance exchange and are not eligible for subsidies, then look at the highest deductible plans offered. Not a perfect solution but at least your overall liability is capped. I would rather have to come up with a $10k deductible than a million dollar hospital bill. Best of luck to you

This is true! BUT do not be afraid of the shared programs. They have blown up over the last few years. Christian Healthcare Ministries has a gold plan plus brothers keeper for about 500.00 a month. No limit plus catastrophic. No way I would buy a catastrophic plan from the big thieves that gets you nothing in return.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                        Good hospitals only have to treat you in case of emergency then once stable can ship you down the road to the indigent hospital. So yes if you got shot in the head and lived then any trauma center could send you to Ben Taub for your care.

and the indigent hospitals are going totally broke as we speak - end of the day - like it or not - it boils down to money and profit which is the same as any other business. Hospitals and insurance companies are not in business for "social good." If they cannot produce a profit they go under. If a hospital anywhere is having to treat folks for free they will and are going out of business bottom line. Simple economics

Comment

Also w the CHM, which we have, the visits are usually cheaper because you are a cash payer. Several times my bill has been cut in half due to paying cash.

Comment

I ended up going with Christian Health Ministries. It's saving me $1,000 per month over the cheapest insurance we could get. We are doing the Brother's Keeper also so there isn't a limit on what they will pay per incident. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Cobra is HORRIBLE. I'm lucky I joined the Army and got Tri-Care. I'll probably be staying in the National Guard just for the insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X