LeBron’s I Promise School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LeBron’s I Promise School

I’m not a hater of LeBron, I think he is immensely talented and intelligent and a decent role model for an athlete.

I think it is fabulous concept and only sustainable with private backing. The idea is a full service I-12 school, 9-5 for working parents and extended year. Serve 2 meals per day plus provide a food bank for families to supplement their cabinets.
    Provide job placement assistance. And guaranteed tuition at Akron University for all graduates.

But I can’t see how this model is sustainable. Just some quick math put the college tuition overhead at 5Mil annually (120 kids per graduate class, $11,400/2 semesters). Or 22 Mil for a rolling horizon of high school grad to college grad @ 4 college years. And that’s just the college tuition, not the overhead for k-12 school and all of its amenities.

And the model doesn’t t really seem all that repeatable, meaning it would be hard to copy I Promise in other cities.

Just hope he doesn’t break his promise

No matter how hard he tries he will never be another David Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      I’m not a hater of LeBron, I think he is immensely talented and intelligent and a decent role model for an athlete.

I think it is fabulous concept and only sustainable with private backing. The idea is a full service I-12 school, 9-5 for working parents and extended year. Serve 2 meals per day plus provide a food bank for families to supplement their cabinets.
      Provide job placement assistance. And guaranteed tuition at Akron University for all graduates.

But I can’t see how this model is sustainable. Just some quick math put the college tuition overhead at 5Mil annually (120 kids per graduate class, $11,400/2 semesters). Or 22 Mil for a rolling horizon of high school grad to college grad @ 4 college years. And that’s just the college tuition, not the overhead for k-12 school and all of its amenities.

And the model doesn’t t really seem all that repeatable, meaning it would be hard to copy I Promise in other cities.

Just hope he doesn’t break his promise
      Well at least he's trying something different. The public school system is atrocious in a lot of communities.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
        Well at least he's trying something different. The public school system is atrocious in a lot of communities.
        I hope you don’t really think this is his idea.

This guy is dumber than a basketball net

Comment

Not a fan .......

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post

This made me laugh

Comment

He must be hanging out with Berny sanders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Clearly. Just like George Foreman had zero input on the design of his namesake grill. But people with money and fame can get a lot more done with it than those without.

Comment

My gut says "tax write off"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lebron is extremely intelligent. You can’t watch him play, speak or coach without seeing that he has a high IQ.

Comment

How can anyone have something bad to say about privately financing a school for underprivileged kids?

Comment

Absolutely amazing - this is a great concept for kiddos. I have no idea how it is repeatable, but this right here is a great gesture to the community that raised him.

How some of you can let politics get in the way of decency is beyond me.

Comment

At least he is trying to do something positive and give back to his community. Putting all politics aside it’s better than the majority of the mega athletes are doing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            At least he is trying to do something positive and give back to his community. Putting all politics aside it’s better than the majority of the mega athletes are doing IMO.
                            Although this gesture is good, using his celebrity status to go on television and bash Trump and accuse him of furthering the racial divide, in effect , is actually doing the same thing, if not worse. He’s simply playing to his fans, of which I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                              Absolutely amazing - this is a great concept for kiddos. I have no idea how it is repeatable, but this right here is a great gesture to the community that raised him.

How some of you can let politics get in the way of decency is beyond me.
                              My origination of this thread had nothing to do with his politics or mine, just wondering aloud how sustainable this is and can he actually keep the school’s namesake?

But Rocky makes a good point, LeBron’s comments opened it up to political scrutiny

Comment

Working...
                              X