Protein Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeding

I wanted to get the opinion of the GS on protein feeding.

I am on a low fence lease about 550 acres.

We are going to put out 2 - 2000lbs protein feeders.

1. Do you think this is to much? We are trying to only fill them every 2 months?
    2. Do you guys protein feed your low fence places? I am worried that the deer are just going to wonder off and someone else is going to get the benefit of our time and money invested in protein. I understand it will be a couple of years before we see the benefit of the feeding program, but just wanted to get the opinions of you guys.

TIA

We are also feeding cotton seed. 2000lbs in 4 locations (in feeder pens).

Comment

1) Not too much. It will take a while for them to get going, probably don't fill it all the way at first and mix in 50/50 with corn. I would start with 500lbs. Eventually though you may have a hard time keeping that feeder full.
      2) I hunt a much larger low fence place. The deer will move around, they move a lot farther than you think they would. You neighbors will gain some benefit from what you are doing. Only time will tell how much you will benefit. The other thing is you may actually bring in more/better deer by feeding.

Comment

1-Not too much (big feeder=filling less often)
        2-We feed corn and protein year round on our low fence property. Yes deer move and their ticket can be cashed on someone else's land, but at the end of the day the same opportunity applies to you.

Comment

We are hunting 900 acres low fence and this will be our 3rd year feeding protein. I have not a noticeable increase in the number of deer we are seeing. I think we may be seeing a slight increase in antlers and body weight. I know we are not covering enough of the property as were given a 2000 lb protein feeder so we thought we would give it a try. The first year they hit it pretty hard but this past year not so much, I think that had to do the availability of other food. I think this year we should see additional improvement.

Our plan in the future is to swap out some of our 55 gallon barrel corn feeders with stand and fills and convert the barrel feeders to protein and add additional protein feed stations.

Comment

Ideal is one feeder per 250 acres....I would say you are perfect...

Comment

After talking to a biologist at my ranch I've decided to not do protein. I still may do cotton seed as an attractant and so they don't over browse but not for trying to increase antler size.

If you have heavy cedar or heavy brush I was told you will feed the deer more protein by getting better woody plants to grow than you will feeding protein.

How much deer travel depends on location and lots of other factors. At my place they move a lot. So much we rarely see repeat deer year to year.

Comment

We hunt just under 200 acres. Been feeding protein for 6 years now. Our number of deer has increased and also body size and antler growth. We started cottenseed last year and hopefully see some improvement his coming year also.

Comment

I hunt a 250 acre low fence place. I effectively hunt less than 50 acres of it.

My theory is to do my best to create a sanctuary for the deer. Always have food and water available and pressure as little as possible.
                  So far I haven’t lost any good deer to neighbors in the last 3 seasons that I know of.

Comment

Same here...we have 200 acres low fence and I run two Protien feeders and a cotton seed station. Every few years we lose a good deer to the neighbors but mostly we watch our deer grow and try not to kill our bucks till they are 5.5. The key to small acreage is not pressuring the deer and making your place more desirable than the neighbors.

Comment

You need to remember that protein and cotton seed are supplement feeds. Your deer will go to the natural browse as conditions remain good. We notice a increase in protein and cotton seed feeding when range conditions get bad......

Comment

Many will argue, but for the most part feeding would be a waste of time and money. The biggest problem with most deer herds is lack of age structure. No amount of feed can make older bucks. If you don't already have an age structure of at least 25% (preferably higher), feeding is a waste of time. While you might be able to turn a 125 3 year old into a 128 3 year old, you're going to have to spend a ton of money to do it. Remember that most of the feed will be going to does and juvenile deer. Another problem with feeding is artificially-increased fawn crops, which sounds good initially, until you realize that most areas have too many deer to begin with, which is why you have nutritional problems to start with. All the feeding does is allow folks to continue to mismanage their deer herd. You never want to wind up in a situation where deer depend on you for feed. Everybody says they will adjust harvest to keep deer densities down, but very few actually do it (that's why there's too many deer now).

Comment

If you're good with raising deer for your neighbors to shoot, and once in a blue moon you get to shoot a mature one for yourself go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

For me, switching from free choice protein to timed protein saved $$$$ and didn't reduce the number of animals I'm catching on the game cams - if anything I'm seeing more, perhaps because I placed the timed feeders outside the pig proof fencing.

It really seemed like 365 all-you-can-eat on a low fence place was just flushing money away.

Comment

Unless your neighbor is feeding like you are, the deer will stay on your place especially if you have plenty of does. Yes, your neighbor might shoot a deer you fed but you will shoot more of his deer. Feed away

Comment

Working...
                              X