Air Driven Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Driven Well

The guy that leases our land for cattle drilled a well several years ago to keep a small pond full for his cattle. There's no electricity and from what I can tell he used a diesel powered air compressor on a trailer. In the pics you can see the small fitting that has broken off and has a crows foot on one end. I've never seen it in actual operation, but know it has worked in the past. Has anyone ever seen a setup like this? Does the air create a vacuum and draw water up from the well? I would like to use it to fill our pond, but need to learn how it works first.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Attached Files

From the end he has on it he used one of the big air compressors, only thing I can think of is maybe their is an air powered pump down hole, so in theory all you would need to do is hook air up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
      From the end he has on it he used one of the big air compressors, only thing I can think of is maybe their is an air powered pump down hole, so in theory all you would need to do is hook air up to it.
      He owns a construction business, so I think he used one of the large diesel powered compressor trailers. If this is what it takes I will look into a rental for a few days.

Comment

It does create a vacuum , I saw a guy pump out an old septic tank with a smaller version made out of PVC & a portable 110 air compressor

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
          He owns a construction business, so I think he used one of the large diesel powered compressor trailers. If this is what it takes I will look into a rental for a few days.
          I am 100% positive you will need one, that is what that rusted twist end is for. Google air lift pump, I am thinking this might be the setup he had, if it is all you would need is a compressor that will fit that end and put out enough air to get a good flow.

Comment

Looks to me like he had some 1" pipe ran down hole, with the air hooked to it, pushing the water out. I bet you have a bunch of 1" pipe broke off, in there somewhere

Comment

looks like they said pvc pipe broke off and is down inside the well......when you get it figured out post it here . i would like to know how it works...Andy

Comment

When I was a kid an old cowboy friend of my dads pumped water from wells with an air compressor. It was just a smaller pipe down the well. He used a gas motor and would put in the amount of gas he needed to pump his troughs full and leave. When the motor ran out of gas the compressor would stop. I sat and watched it one day because I thought it would bubble a lot but nothing but a smooth stream of water came out.

Comment

my house setup in conroe had an air compressor.
                  it had a smaller hose ran down to the bottom where the compressed air would force the water up. it works very well in sandy water.

Comment

I wonder at what depth does this type of pump work???? or does it depend on size of air compressor????.....Andy

Comment

Run pipe down to bottom & put the air to it. You can blow water out as long as u have enough air , ive used this same basic thing for air developing well for years

Comment

We call it "jetting" the well. We do it to old water wells that were drilled for oil well drilling purposes. The small 1" pipe pushes the air down below the water and out the 4" casing. We use a big air compressor. If you cant get the old 1" pipe out there should be enough room to run a new one.

BTW there is no pump it is air forcing the water to the surface.
                        Last edited by Hafernick; 03-24-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

X2 on Billy Lovec's explanation, these type wells for home systems isn't that uncommon where I was raised in the Sam Rayburn lake area.

Comment

Not sure how it works as far as pushing/pulling water out, but this is how most gas/oil drilling sites get water, at least in my area.
                            It shouldn't be hard to find someone in the oil/gas business to educate you on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                              my house setup in conroe had an air compressor.
                              it had a smaller hose ran down to the bottom where the compressed air would force the water up. it works very well in sandy water.
                              had an air compressor water well on a house we lived in. air pushed water up to a holding tank and from there it was pumped to the house. the tank had a float in it that controlled the water level in the storage tank

Comment

Working...
                              X