• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Co-pilot ain’t too entertaining tonight
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
      My Co-pilot ain’t too entertaining tonight

I made it to Amarillo after being in the truck since 11 and not being able to finally head north until 6:30. Imma catch a few hours and finish the drive in the am. Need that sleep before I pack in 3-4 miles tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        I made it to Amarillo after being in the truck since 11 and not being able to finally head north until 6:30. Imma catch a few hours and finish the drive in the am. Need that sleep before I pack in 3-4 miles tomorrow

I’m just now rolling through ft worth, we’re gonna attempt to drive straight through, but I got a bed waiting on me when I get there. Have a safe trip and hope you stick a good one!

Comment

Good luck! Looking forward to more pics. Just wondering, what broadheads are you using for pronghorn?

Comment

I’m just now rolling through ft worth, we’re gonna attempt to drive straight through, but I got a bed waiting on me when I get there. Have a safe trip and hope you stick a good one!

I hope you get a speed goat! I want info on this said ranch! May have to plan that for me and the wife in the near future!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              I hope you get a speed goat! I want info on this said ranch! May have to plan that for me and the wife in the near future!

I’ll pm you once I get there and it checks out. A good friend of mine is a guide for the outfitter and I trust him enough to get myself up here. I want to see it with my own eyes before I start recommending anything.

Comment

I’ll pm you once I get there and it checks out. A good friend of mine is a guide for the outfitter and I trust him enough to get myself up here. I want to see it with my own eyes before I start recommending anything.

I’ll be eagerly waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                  Good luck! Looking forward to more pics. Just wondering, what broadheads are you using for pronghorn?
                  I brought 100 gr. Rage trypans and slick trick viper tricks. I’ll shoot whichever one Brad thinks will be best. I love both of them.
                  Last edited by JayKen86; 08-24-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Good luck Jay

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Spot and stalk is tough on them good luck it can be done just don’t give up or get discouraged. I think # of stalks to getting a kill for archery is like 60:1 so keep at it and you’ll be successful!

Comment

Good luck bro

Comment

I’m really late to getting back at this thread, but here it is... Without any doubt in my mind this was the most enjoyable bowhunt ive ever been on in my entire life. I’ll start right here at saying no, I did not connect with a goat. My closest shot presented was my first evening there, keep in mind I had woke up, worked 12 hours, coached football for 2 hours, loaded the truck for an hour and drove for 14 hours before I even laid eyes on this antelope. We put about an hour stalk on him and got him at 83 yds... would have been a chip shot for me, because it just so happens I had been shooting at 83 yards as my long distance shot for the previous 3 weeks. Well I drew back and the goat decided he wanted to walk... from my angle, it appeared he had walked away and to the left. The antelope stopped after I had been at full draw for what seemed like 5 minutes. In all actuality it was probably 30 seconds. Well using my intuition of assuming he had walked quartering away, I held my pin just an inch over his spine, at 83 yards that felt acceptable. I released and my gold tip combined with a rage trypan and it sailed exactly where my pin was settled, an inch over his spine!! I hit my knees in disappointment but quickly reassembled, walked down and picked up my arrow and told myself hell, I’ve only been hunting these things for 2 hours and already released a shot, it’s gonna happen... the second day we spotted the goat I had shot at the previous evening. I opted to leave him be. He was roughly 16 inches tall and had long prongs. In all honesty he didn’t carry much mass at all, but his height and shape had this south east Texas boy foaming at the mouth. We drove around that day and tried to put a stalk on a couple goats to no avail... Day three was kind of the same deal except we never laid eyes on my target antelope. I was scared he left the ranch. I did shoot at an absolute stud goat, probably b&c that evening... after a lengthy and discouraging stalk this particular goat finally stood broadside looking back at me as if he was just giving up... the only problem was he was at 96 yds with a 25 mph crosswind blowing left to right. I drew back with my single pin set at precisely 96 yards... but in my haste I forgot to take the wind in consideration and aimed for dead center of the front shoulder and released. Me and that antelope stared at each other eye to eye as that arrow sailed. Well it sailed just slightly too far right and missed. Perfect height but the wind screwed me, or I guess i screwed myself for not aiming with the wind in mind. I actually cut hair off that goats brisket at 96 yards, my broadhead had about 30 thick coarse hairs hung up in it when I picked it up but not one single spot of blood. My wife sarah who was standing about 30 yds behind and uphill of me when I released confirmed I had shot forward. At that point I began loosing confidence. (My ultimate demise) This was only supposed to be a 3 day hunt and sarah had a flight out of Colorado Springs the following day, but I had befriended the outfitter and the guide was a good friend of mine and I was offered to stay until I connected. Sarah gave me her graces, the outfitters wife drove her to the airport and I was able to stay and hunt!! The next morning we spotted the goat I had originally wanted, the one from the very first evening. I brought it upon myself to be left alone, I was gonna Hunt this antelope Texas style and wait him out. I hiked up to the side of a ridge with several long fingers running off of it west to east. I sat in the shade under a cedar tree and glassed this particular animal with anticipation of an ambush at the end of one of these fingers as he decided to move towards water. Well I sat under that cedar tree for 9 hours straight and that pronghorn didn’t move further than 10ft from his original position the entire day. I seen several goats that day I could have put a stalk on, but I had my mind set on that tall set of horns. I was picked up with about an hour left of daylight left with reports of a huge stalkable buck in a pasture on the way back towards the house. Well I made my belly crawl towards the edge of the ridge this particular Buck was using as a wind break and sure enough he was huge, I was laying on my belly, bow in hand but still on the ground and ranged him. 72 yds, awesome! I crept up to gain a knee and draw only to hear the all too familiar “pew” sound to my left... I had been busted by 4 does that had fed around the side of the ridge about 100 yds away. The buck bolted and that was it... at that point my confidence was completely gone. We went to the house got some sleep and woke up just as early as we had all the previous days, the only problem was I was no longer excited, I had grown discouraged and upset and it wasn’t sitting well. We never did spot any of the bigger bucks that morning, I put a stalk on a decent antelope but was busted by a coyote before I ever made it close to him. That was the straw that broke the camels back... I gave up... I missed my sons and knew I had a 14 hour drive ahead of me. It was time to go home. I left back for Texas at around noon that day.
                            Phillip the outfitter offered me to come back at no additional charge to complete my hunt and harvest an antelope. The timing just wasn’t in my cards and I never could make it back during archery season. A couple things I gained from this hunt was my very first experience hunting in the west and experiencing all the beautiful countryside. I also gained an extreme hate and yet respect for the pronghorn antelope, I will get my archery goat next year!

Comment

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X