Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really how important is blade sharpness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THellURider View Post
    For the same reason that many years ago I sought to understand barrel twist rates in it's relationship to bullet weight, or ballistic coefficients for that matter. Understanding of those deeper things is what A) makes this fun for me, B) is NECESSARY when you get into competitive shooting and C) leads me to a much broader understanding how this works.
    I understand where you are coming from.
    Will the rifling on a barrel determine if a deer runs 40yds after it's hit or if it will be DRT?
    Same for the levels of sharpness of a broadhead.

It is kinda hard to prove or disprove if the sharpness of a 400gr razor cutting through vital organs at 400fps actually makes a difference if the animal survives or not. And if it does not survive how long (in minutes) after impact will the animal survive being hit with a not so sharp broadhead vs a surgically sharp one?

A dull arrow through the heart vs a sharp arrow through the heart. Who wins?

Comment

The way I look at it is when a deer gets shot with an broadhead the organs are compacted some (and a lot if the deer if flinching down to jump) A dull broadhead will go through but push a lot of veins, tissue, organs around the broadhead. The sharp one will cut them all.

Makes a huge difference.

Comment

Dumb question.

Comment

We've all had 11 years since this thread started to get our broad heads really really sharp. Hope everyone has been working on them!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            We've all had 11 years since this thread started to get our broad heads really really sharp. Hope everyone has been working on them!
            Need to give those of us who can't sharpen blades another year

Comment

Reading some of Tnik's stuff is hilarious. Was that dude always drunk or just terribly dyslexic?

Comment

Random thread bump thursday

Comment

I see the post pop and start reading , I am seeing a names that are not familiar to me then I notice 2007 in the post greatness BWHAHAHA

Comment

I dont think I've ever shot one that was razor sharp but with enough energy they poke a good hole.

Comment

Read the entire thread. I don't see why everybody got so worked up or see any problem with OP asking "why."

Seems that some self-conscious people got offended. Or at least didn't understand that that is just how some people's minds work. He never said "you're wrong." Rather, "Ok I see that's worked for you. But why?"

"Because it works for me" is not an acceptable answer in the scientific community.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        The way I look at it is when a deer gets shot with an broadhead the organs are compacted some (and a lot if the deer if flinching down to jump) A dull broadhead will go through but push a lot of veins, tissue, organs around the broadhead. The sharp one will cut them all.

Makes a huge difference.
                        agreed very much. Thus the dull broadhead slows down much more with all this work and risks not penetrating fully. Or another way, and like someone else said, which would be easier to push through, a dull butter knife or a very sharp dagger?

Comment

Watching "Forged in Fire" will answer your question.

Comment

Working...
                          X