No announcement yet.

17' Carolina Skiff Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool thread. Always liked the Carolinas.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
      looking at a 94 caro skiff to turn into a starter boat, anything you recommend when looking?
      I'm no expert, as this is my first boat.

Hull- soft spots in the fiberglass.

Motor- see if you can do a compression check. Condition of the lower unit, does it hold oil/ leak?

Trailer- bearings could be totally shot. If the bearings are shot I would be reluctant to haul it away or offer less money and be prepared to swab hubs/rebuild bearings in walmart / academy parking lot.

Comment

Nice upgrades! I've always had love/hate relationships with all my boats. Seems there's always something to do on one, even the new ones.... but they're worth it!

Comment

I loved my 17 ft Carolina Skiff, fished all up and down the Texas coast with it.

Comment

Don't have too many new pictures of her all buttoned up but I made a sea trial the other day. Rat reds were everywhere. I did however find feel of torque turning to the right. When I was washing the boat down I noticed the steering guide rod cracked where the bolt connects to the motor. Lucky. Going to try a guide rod with a ball joint, maybe that'll reduce the torque.
            Attached Files

Comment

Good job man! CS skiffs have always had my attention. Red Finn too.

Comment

Awesome, I recently purchased a 1995 predator, having to do the same thing! This thread gives me hope!

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                  Awesome, I recently purchased a 1995 predator, having to do the same thing! This thread gives me hope!
                  It's a chore, but well worth it in the end

Comment

Working...
                  X