Thompson Temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thompson Temple

I know its Deer Season But I'm going to Thompson Temple's (Repeat Customer) in a couple weeks. I'll be using my new Muzzleloader ... Just didn't feel good about shooting an animal with my compound due to lack of Bow Range Time (New Job ...)

Any reports from anybody that's been there in the last couple of months ...

Hey man,

I just got back from there yesterday. Had a great hunt and brought home a very nice Coriscan/Mouflan cross. He was a blue tag ($360) and I took him near the L1 blind, by the observation post. As I'm sure you know, the hunt can be as hard as you make it. Saturday morning we went up the mountain and I walked the rim of a canyon. Saw a few sheep down there but it would have been too tough to get down the canyon and get the ram out. I returned to a blind that we had put some alfalfa at when I was dropped off. Had a couple nice blue tag Rambos come and eat (I wasn't interested in any of those) and had a few more behind me with a nice looking Corsican. I didnt take any of them in hopes of getting a Black Hawaiian later in the day or Sunday morning.

I sat by the blind at L1 that afternoon and had twelve Rambos and a couple of Coriscans in and out of the alfalfa. Twice I drew to shoot one of the Crosicans but lost my chance both times. A rifle shot a few minutes later meant that there was only one Crosican left with that group. Earlier in the day we had seen a gorgeous red tag Dall by L1. He was stalked by a guy later on but we never saw the ram again. Easily could have been a blue or orange tag.

So Sunday morning I had my fingers crossed that the other Corsican from yesterday would be back. As soon as I got there, he was there with several of the Rambos. After waiting for him to isolate himself, I drilled him and he fell over right there. Thompson called him a (Mouflan type). He scored a Silver Medal in the Record of Exotics at just over 87 inches. I'll try to upload a picture on here so you can see him.

My take-aways from the ranch...

Thompson kept telling us that he had many more hair rams that were hiding. Other than the trophy pen, I saw only six rams that were not Rambos, three Corsicans, two Dalls, and a red tag Four Horn (two of the Corsican's were taken). Some of the other hunters saw a very nice no tag Coriscan out towards the back of the ranch but it would have taken half a day to get to him. It sounds like there are some nice rams out there but you really have to search for the non Rambos right now. I'm sure this will change daily but pretty much all I saw at L1 were the Rambos. Thompson said he has 45 rams in the main part of the ranch of which 20 are Rambos. Sounds like there are some beasts out there still. He told me there is a nice red tag Black Hawaiian that I might have my eye on next time. There are big ones out in the back that could easily be in the trophy pen. I'm sure those would be great kills and would be tough hunts as well. Any more specific questions, let me know. I had fun and hope to go back before the year is over for a Black Hawaiian or Dall.

Comment

Working...
    X