Lens Question for Yellowstone National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Question for Yellowstone National Park

I am planning a trip in September to Yellowstone National Park. What lens do you recommend is a must have? If I don't have it this will give me time to rent it ahead of time. If you have any pictures please post them up as well. I am not set on September yet but starting to plan and I have to make reservations soon - hopefully its not to late

For my style, I'd take at least my 16-35, 50mm, 70-200, and 300 with teleconverter. Circular polarizers and likely neutral density (normal and graduated). Tripod and remote.

Having said that, I've not been since I was a kid. My main goal would be scenery/landscape with wildlife a close second.

Comment

Check out this post I made awhile back. I shot everything with a D7100 and a 70-300VR

Sorry I'm too lazy to repost all of the pics. Some of these were taken in Teton & Yellowstone.

Comment

Thanks Casey

Thanks and Very nice pictures Randy

Thanks for sharing

Comment

What are you wanting to shoot? I would take a wide lens (I shoot a 16-35) and then for wildlife, at least a 300mm, I shoot a 70-200 2.8 with a 1.7 Teleconverter.

Beyond that, just the normal gear like a circular polarizer, flash etc.

I live up here and spend a fair amount of time up in the park and around Jackson and in my experience, you will be either shooting wide angle landscapes, or zooming in on wildlife. The 70-200 is actually a really good landscape lens for up there because in a lot of areas, such as the snake river overlook, you can use your 70-200 at 70 and frame in the entire scene since the Tetons are so far away at that point. While I have a 35-70 2.8, I rarely use it up in the park.

It is a beautiful place to spend time and photograph.

Comment

I shot Yellowstone back in '99 (on film) and everything was landscapes since I didn't have any long lenses at that time. Most of it was medium format.

But if I went today, there is no doubt my 150-600 Tamron would stay on my camera body until I saw a landscape shot I just had to have.

And I agree that a 70-200 can be a very useful landscape lens in that park.

Comment

I have the 24-70, 70-200 and 100-400. I'm thinking I should get in addition a 1.4x teleconverter and a variable neutral density filter. Should I rent something different. Seems this should cover most everything. I want to shoot landscape and wildlife both. I want to be there around 5 or 6 days. Thanks to everyone for the feedback

Comment

Which camera body?

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                  Which camera body?
                  Canon 5dmkiii

Comment

Working...
                  X