TSS shot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSS shot.

I saw where Federal has started loading turkey loads with TSS. Does anyone have any experience shooting critters with this stuff? Is it noticeably better than anything else on the market or is it not worth the extra money you spend to shoot it?

I've watched videos over the turkey loads and they look impressive.

It is a game changer for sure on turkey. #9 shot carries enough energy in a single piece of shot to break a turkey neck at 80 yards . I know one man that has been loading it for several years and has switched to a 20 and now 28ga for turkey and is still lethal at 70+ yards

Comment

I saw this the other day, I was looking for non toxic loads to start duck hunting with my old 410 1100.

Comment

From the looks of it it's some mean stuff. I wouldn't mind trying some larger shot sizes on hogs and coyotes to see how it performs. I don't know where to get any factory ammo loaded with TSS other than the Federal turkey loads though.

Comment

You can get the shot and roll your own, Federal may be the only manufacture that has entered the mix with it but I doubt they will be the last

Comment

Definitely looks impressive. I’d like to try some, just don’t know I wanna pay $40 for 5 rounds. Impressive none the less.

Comment

That is the down side and why I have only seen it used by turkey hunters that roll their own until now. You just do not shoot that many shells turkey hunting. Limit of 4 in Texas in a lot of counties many states have a one or two bird limit.

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
                I saw this the other day, I was looking for non toxic loads to start duck hunting with my old 410 1100.

TSS is likely the most effective pellet, that's EVER been loaded in a shotgun shell!!

REAL TSS is 18gr/ccm, the stuff Federal is selling is 15gr/ccm (unless they started offering the 18gr stuff & I just haven't seen it?).

It shoots VERY tight patterns. A 410, with the normal "FULL" choke, will throw a basketball sized pattern, till around 35-40 yards. For the record, regular Hevi-Shot (13gr/ccm) 7's, work VERY WELL for ducks and its quite a bit cheaper.

My 12 ga, with a MOD choke, threw 100% patterns (30" circle) at 40 yards, 96% at 50 yards and 86% at 60 yards.

I can't find a 410 that I like, so I now load it in a 28 ga. Took it sandhill crane hunting last year. Will use it for geese this year.

Comment

Yes Federal is selling real TSS 18gr. The federal 15gr is referred to as heavyweight shot which has been replaced by the new TSS load. The hevi13 hasn't been 13gr in years. It has been 11.7gr for a while. Lead is 11gr so current hevi has been left in the dust by the other notox alternatives

Comment

Originally posted by REDGUN View Post
                    TSS is likely the most effective pellet, that's EVER been loaded in a shotgun shell!!

REAL TSS is 18gr/ccm, the stuff Federal is selling is 15gr/ccm (unless they started offering the 18gr stuff & I just haven't seen it?).

It shoots VERY tight patterns. A 410, with the normal "FULL" choke, will throw a basketball sized pattern, till around 35-40 yards. For the record, regular Hevi-Shot (13gr/ccm) 7's, work VERY WELL for ducks and its quite a bit cheaper.

My 12 ga, with a MOD choke, threw 100% patterns (30" circle) at 40 yards, 96% at 50 yards and 86% at 60 yards.

I can't find a 410 that I like, so I now load it in a 28 ga. Took it sandhill crane hunting last year. Will use it for geese this year.
                    I saw the hevi shot as well. I will definitely give them a try. Most likely I will only hunt with the 410 shooting woodies and grey ducks on my slew. I shot some bismuth out of my 28ga last year and killed a few woodies grave yard dead.

Comment

I wish I had a way to reload shotgun shells or knew someone that does. I think if some company were to start loading it in larger pellet sizes people would be all over it. But then again they're expensive as all get out even in smaller shot sizes so I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        I wish I had a way to reload shotgun shells or knew someone that does. I think if some company were to start loading it in larger pellet sizes people would be all over it. But then again they're expensive as all get out even in smaller shot sizes so I could be wrong about that.
                        What sizes are you talking about??

"Large" pellets are not needed, for the most part.

As stated above: 9's will kill a turkey at 70-80 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by REDGUN View Post
                          What sizes are you talking about??

"Large" pellets are not needed, for the most part.

As stated above: 9's will kill a turkey at 70-80 yards.
                          I'd like to see some loaded in #2 shot or BB. I think they'd make a great predator huntin round. They'd probably be better for penetrating the feathers of large birds like sandhill cranes and geese as well.

I've killed a turkey at 60 yards with Hevi Shot 13 in a 12 gauge. But a head shot is a head shot regardless of what the pellets are made of. What I'm thinking is a harder hitting more devastating round that will break bone and shut bigger animals down.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 11-03-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            I'd like to see some loaded in #2 shot or BB. I think they'd make a great predator huntin round. They'd probably be better for penetrating the feathers of large birds like sandhill cranes and geese as well.
                            PM sent

Comment

Working...
                            X