Organizing Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing Photos

Any software recomendations for organizing photos? Right now I just put them in labeled folders on my hard drive. Getting to be a lot of pictures though, and a lot of different dates, etc.

Adobe Lightroom has some great tools. There are several other programs too. Keeping them in some sort of organized system of folders on your harddrive (and backed up on an external drive(s)) is vital though. I keep mine by date. I have a folder for each year, and then a folder for each date.

I can add keywords in Lightroom, and that allows me to pull up all my keyworded pics. For example, if I keyword "deer" I can pull up all pics of deer - from all folders.

I'm sure my little method isn't the best, but it works OK I guess.

Comment

When you find out let me know....

It is a daily battle that I fight.

Comment

I name my folders like this "YY EVENT DDMM" Then when I get enough pictures I burn it to a double layer DVD as well as a couple single layer DVD's. I have had DVD's go bad before so I double on that part. I also make a digital backup to another drive. Might be over kill but I have never lost a picture with this method either I always lean towards the side of caution when it comes to computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
          I name my folders like this "YY EVENT DDMM" Then when I get enough pictures I burn it to a double layer DVD as well as a couple single layer DVD's. I have had DVD's go bad before so I double on that part. I also make a digital backup to another drive. Might be over kill but I have never lost a picture with this method either I always lean towards the side of caution when it comes to computers.
          I do the double backup also...I don't think it's overkill.

I use Picasa to organize the photo's. It works well for me and is free...do a google search.

Comment

Check out a presentation I did for the Texas Outdoor Writer's Association a couple of years ago at www.russellgraves.com/towa

It is in Powerpoint and if you don't have it, you can download a free viewer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It is a subject-based system and I can usually find what I am looking for in a minute or so. When I use lightroom of my Mac's spotlight feature, I can narrow down what I need in a few seconds.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Comment

I use Adobe Bridge....and I continue to learn the ins and outs of it on a daily basis.

Comment

Does anyone do off-site (online) backup? Specifically, I am looking at Jungle Disk/Amazon S3. You choose your own encryption key on the software that resides on your computer, so even the host companies can't see your data. Mostly checking into it for work reasons, but seems it would be good for photography too.

Comment

Working...
                  X