No announcement yet.

How to Make Venison (and Duck) Sausage - The Secret Recipe! - Video Journal #32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video! Michael would you explain to me why you dry the sausage? I thought it would be somewhat dried out from smoking it. Does it make it more like jerky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
      Great video! Michael would you explain to me why you dry the sausage? I thought it would be somewhat dried out from smoking it. Does it make it more like jerky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keeping in mind that I'm mostly just a beer fetcher...

Combined with the meat cure cure, drying the sausage extends the shelf life of the meat (much like smoking and much like jerky). Once dried, there's no need to refrigerate and it'll be good for up to a couple of weeks. Of course, we seal the links and freeze to preserve longer and just pull out as much as needed.

We only smoked it overnight so as not to have overly smoked flavor.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        We need a taste test between Mesquitecountry and yall's recipee. They seem very similar. I've used Mesquitecountry's since he posted it with great success, but am always open to trying new recipes.

Duck sausage...yall are so juvinile! What's next, your momma jokes?

We actually made some pan sausage using Travis' recipe the following weekend (for the St. Jude's Sporting Clays Shoot). I shot footage of that, too, and may incorporate that into a future video.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          Good stuff Michael! I too liked the background music. My Great Grandparents would be proud of us for using the smoke house they built.
          WTH Matt?? You were supposed to invite me. You better bring some sausage to Bownanza for me!!

Comment

I am still trying to figure out why you trusted Todd with math

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              We actually made some pan sausage using Travis' recipe the following weekend (for the St. Jude's Sporting Clays Shoot). I shot footage of that, too, and may incorporate that into a future video.
              You're kinda like one of those late night infomercials "..but wait, there's more!" You just say "..but wait, there's a video for that!"

Comment

Gonna have to scale down the recipe and give it a try.

I'm assuming the alternate recipe was for smoked but not dried correct? How'd it compare?
                Last edited by Gunnyart; 03-09-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  You're kinda like one of those late night infomercials "..but wait, there's more!" You just say "..but wait, there's a video for that!"

You know It's All About the Video, cuz!
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    Gonna have to scale down the recipe and give it a try.

I'm assuming the alternate recipe was for smoked but not dried correct? How'd it compare?

Same recipe for smoked or dried, other than the added cabbage/onion/jalapeño in Jenn's.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Same recipe for smoked or dried, other than the added cabbage/onion/jalapeño in Jenn's.
                      I meant the cabbage recipe. Did you try that dried too? How'd that turn out?

Comment

I meant the cabbage recipe. Did you try that dried too? How'd that turn out?

Ah. No, we didn't dry that. In fact, that didn't get smoked either. They bagged it up fresh immediately after stuffing.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Ah. No, we didn't dry that. In fact, that didn't get smoked either. They bagged it up fresh immediately after stuffing.
                          Gotcha, Did you get to try it?

Comment

Awesome stuff! Great video! Now I'm hungry..thanks!

Comment

Gotcha, Did you get to try it?

Yes sir! We cooked some sample in the pan before we stuffed it and then cooked a few links back at Camp Stolle later Saturday night! It was outstanding!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Really looks good. Wish I had the time and know how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X