No announcement yet.

Acorns! Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your a weekend warrior and live a long way form your lease it’s going to be extremely tough to hunt the acorns. Also, most people that Lease are not allowed to just set up a stand anywhere on the Lease because of the other members and Lease rules. It is not impossible though if you have the time and can scout and set up anywhere. You have to be able to read the sign and set up accordingly. I used to hunt millions of acres of public land with hundreds of thousands of acres of Oaks and would kill deer pretty much every year off the oaks. The same deer tend to hit the same patch of oaks until the acorns get scarce in that patch and them they move on. I was never after a certain buck though and if you are, that is going to be near impossible by hunting the acorns. With that said, I would much rather take my chances hunting the acorns then sitting over a feeder that no deer are coming to or sitting at home waiting for the acorns to disappear. You also may end up seeing a bigger buck than your target buck. You also have to be willing to move your stand location a lot or setup multiple stands. It’s a lot more work then sitting at a feeder but a lot more rewarding when it pays off. For most Texas hunters, hunting the acorns just isn’t a realistic option and I fully understand the guys that don’t want to do it and why.

Comment

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
      this is dumb. Point me to which of the 250,000 live oaks on our place i should sit. It sounds good in theory but its still darn tough to get a pattern on one in the hill country with a bow.
      What Feeder did you shoot that Elk under (Assuming it wasnt shot in TX)? Use some of the same outdoorsmanship to target a whitetail, whether its finding a water hole, scouting what oak motts have fresh deer crap/sign, looking for rubs/scrapes and even glassing.

I think feeders are a great tool, but they've made many of us out to be very lazy "hunters".

Comment

I have four stand locations on our place. Two in oaks and two near pine plantations for this exact reason. I will hunt the oaks until they play out. Then, hit the plantations where most of the feeders are located.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          What Feeder did you shoot that Elk under (Assuming it wasnt shot in TX)? Use some of the same outdoorsmanship to target a whitetail, whether its finding a water hole, scouting what oak motts have fresh deer crap/sign, looking for rubs/scrapes and even glassing.

I think feeders are a great tool, but they've made many of us out to be very lazy "hunters".
          Haha you guys dont quit. Cant some folks just b!tch about a slow weekend. We have stands hung all over the place. On feeders/ off. I dont need a lesson on killing a deer. I understand hunting the acorns and that they are eating them but my deer must be as lazy as me cause they flat dont move when they have this much food everywhere. Id rather not go busting all over the place and blow out a big deer by being impatient, if i think i have a pattern on one ill go in but im not rambling through bedding areas looking for a spot to hang a set. Ive killed a bunch of big deer during bow season in the hill country, this aint the first time theres been acorns on the ground either. Everybody needs to take a deep breathe and chill out, we got a cold front next week.

Comment

Haha you guys dont quit. Cant some folks just b!tch about a slow weekend.........
            Absolutely! We're here to vent, congratulate, commiserate, etc.... First, who's "You Guys"? I'm just one guy replying to your post calling someone elses comment "dumb". I don't think it's "dumb" to find another method when the one you use currently isn't working the way you want it to. Have a good one and hope you have a very successful season!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              LOL...Come on now !!!

Charlie, you and I are usually on the same page here on this sight but that's freaking ridiculous talk. 4,400 acres of live oaks/shin oak trees and acorns on my side and the landowners side. There is no way in hell to pinpoint which tree a target buck is using living 5 hours away and trying to guess withing a 30 yards circle with a bow. No place to glass, not much area to walk honestly without boogering up your areas. Definitely a lot easier to sit at a desk and say to do it than do it.

If I hunted in East Texas and could "scout" the 10 whiteoak trees in a patch of 1,000 pines that's one thing... but pinpointing one deer and hanging your blind in one tree in 30,000-40,000 live and shin oaks is just not feasible.

I mean its not like you can pre-scout them before season. With that many trees you have to "scout while they are falling" which we covered above . It s not like they used them in the offseason.

That would be akin to telling somebody in South Texas to set up on the blackbrush or cactus tunas on 2000 acres if they aren't hitting corn..... or set up on all the fresh green growth on a newly rained on West Texas property. Its just not that feasible from 5 hours away.
              Y’all seem to think that East Texas is straight pine trees lol.

There are things called creeks bottoms, and river bottoms with thousands of acres of oaks not to mention the oaks in upland areas. And these acorns actually last. Not rot in a month like post oaks.

Comment

This is why I gained expert level qualifications in deer calling.

Comment

my deer must be as lazy as me cause they flat dont move when they have this much food everywhere.
                  They ain't gonna go any further than they have to, to get what they want...which is also why they'll travel a loooooooooong ways during the rut

Comment

I just got back from hunting public land elk in NM. IF I cant go sit at my feeder in my office chair drinking whatever I want and wait for the feeder to spin to see if the deer I like comes out then Fit I aint going. So lemme know when the acorns are gone... Thanks for the updates

Comment

Collect as many as you can and freeze them for later. Makes for a great later season attractant.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                        Collect as many as you can and freeze them for later. Makes for a great later season attractant.
                        Pretty sure they ruin after you freeze then as far as deer are conserned

Just a dry place would be fine

Comment

so deer like acorns???

love you all!!

Comment

In most areas in and around the Hill Country most of the cedar is cleared. Deer don't follow trails like in other areas. There aren't really trails, well except the ones to the feeders. LOL.

Not to mention when it's hot they more than likely stay bedded down under said oaks with acorns....in the shade. Prior to the drop they had to move to find food......and go to the feeder when the food came out.

Comment

Acorns! Wow!

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              In most areas in and around the Hill Country most of the cedar is cleared. Deer don't follow trails like in other areas. There aren't really trails, well except the ones to the feeders. LOL.

Not to mention when it's hot they more than likely stay bedded down under said oaks with acorns....in the shade. Prior to the drop they had to move to find food......and go to the feeder when the food came out.

And all at night..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-04-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I have them coming up into the yard to get acorns........

Comment

Working...
                                X