The Joy of Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Joy of Shooting

Work, lack of someplace to shoot and just he busyness and stress of living has put a damper on my shooting the last couple of years.

What I shooting I have been doing has been at a target in the backyard. Target panic had made shooting painful. Shooting the bale to get my form down was the way to improvement or so it seemed. It actually did help.

But in years past I had stump shot in cow fields and the like with the kids. With them gone it was easier to just grab the bow and shoot a few shafts in the backyard.

Recently a young fella on the lease who has the fever still burning hot kept getting me to shoot around the camp. We started at the target bale but soon started stump shooting.

I had almost forgot how much more fun it was to shoot at rocks, bottles, flowers and cow turds. Shooting moving around without the three or four arrow groups staring at you after each round was relaxing. Relaxing soothes target panic.

We even made a bet or two. Someone owes the other a dollar but I can't remeber who and it does not matter. Shooting is fun again.

See, there ya go.

The last couple years I haven't been able to take a walk either. Bale shooting can sure get monotonous can't it?

Living in Abilene, I was able to go to the range every weekend and sometimes during the week. I got good too. Since I've been living here in Angelo, I only get to the range every other EVENT. I'm not so good now. Think I'm going to have buy a membership this year and MAKE it happen. Get back to my old routine maybe. Sure was fun.

Glad you're enjoying it again.

Comment

Glad you're having fun.

After a shooting lay-off, I always think to myself why don't I shoot more often?

Comment

Shooting has been my sanity. I shot a bow as a kid in the backyard and got fairy descent but got bored ofter awhile and gave it up. When I moved to Colorado 6 years ago I went on some hunts with a friend from work for no other reason than to go. One was an archery hunt and I found that desire again. I spent a couple years rifle hunting and saved up for a bow. I wanted a stick bow but was talked into a compound. I finally got to archery hunt last year and had the time of my life. I only have one buck to my name but to me it really doesnt matter. To me its about the hunt not the size of the "throphy". I had a 7x7 bull elk in my sights last year but thats a whole nother thread. There is somtethin about shooting archery , target or hunting that just sooths the soul and clears the mind! And now that I finally got a longbow, yea I finally did it and got a hornes traditional longbow, used but in great shape I'll be hitting the range , the backyard, stumps and anything thing else I can shoot at!

Comment

I am planning on doing some roving very soon. I am going to try to walk around with some friends and see how close I can shoot to a rabbit without actually hitting one. I think it is going to be fun.

Comment

The last day of a resent Leaf River Caribou hunt . my self and a friend loaned our backup bows to 2 gun hunters and spent the day roaming around the hills shooting at what ever looked interesting. whether it was a leaf at 10 yards or a boulder at 100....we all had a blast and it is a very fond memory.
            The picture is of one of the gun hunters who hit this tree on purpose from 30 yards. we ruint him
            Click image for larger version

Name:	foodplot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	24719879

Comment

That will do it everytime Buff!

Comment

Since I went back to work in august after being retired for 4 years I havn,t shot my longbow not more than a dozen shots.......living out here in the sandhills I have pleanty targets and good backstops but just not enough hours in day to shoot. When I was retired I hunted and shot everyday.Now having to take care of feeders on places where I work took fun out of it plus up there at Bulverde and Rio Medina tooooo Many rocks.......Andy

Comment

Working...
                X