No announcement yet.

280 AI or 7mm STW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The .280 AI is already a little over bore capacity, meaning you get a very modest increase in performance out of any larger case in that bore size. Mostly just use more powder and shoot out the barrel much quicker. I have a .280 AI, and a 7mm Remington mag, the difference in performance in those two is negligible. The 7RUM will burn more powder, give you a LITTLE more performance, if the last few FPS is what you are after, and MUCH abbreviated barrel life... JMHO..

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
      The .280 AI is already a little over bore capacity, meaning you get a very modest increase in performance out of any larger case in that bore size. Mostly just use more powder and shoot out the barrel much quicker. I have a .280 AI, and a 7mm Remington mag, the difference in performance in those two is negligible. The 7RUM will burn more powder, give you a LITTLE more performance, if the last few FPS is what you are after, and MUCH abbreviated barrel life... JMHO..

280ai 2950

7 MAG 3130

7RUM 3300

Those are all top velocities out of a 24 inch barrel from hodgdon load data for 150 grain bullets, i would say both the mag rounds are a considerable step up in performance over the 280 AI. Any time you go for big velocities you are going to burn barrels faster, if barrel life is your major concern a 308 would be the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        According to nosler load data, the 280 AI is about 150 FPS slower than a 7 mag, so no the 280 AI wont do what a 7 mag will and, add to the list that ammo is not everywhere and, if you shoot 280 in a pinch you will lose even more power, and 280 is not even as common as a 7 mag.

So i would have to go with the 7 rem mag guys

150fps slower yes, but to have the non belted case, less powder capacity, lower recoil, etc the 280AI shines over the 7mm. And that’s coming from a guy who is a 7mag fan. Plus the OP said he handloads so the availability of factory ammo is mute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          150fps slower yes, but to have the non belted case, less powder capacity, lower recoil, etc the 280AI shines over the 7mm. And that’s coming from a guy who is a 7mag fan. Plus the OP said he handloads so the availability of factory ammo is mute.

\

Might as well go with the 7-08 then it will do 2800 with a 150 with less powder and recoil and more efficiency than the 280 AI, but the OP said he wanted the BEST for long range hunting and that equals horsepower, so might as well go big, or use a 7-08 and talk efficiency and recoil management

Comment

6.5 PRC

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              This.

I have a 28 Nosler and while it is definitely a long range hammer a 7rm is no slouch and only a couple hundred fps slower and ammo and brass is much cheaper and much much easier to find. My next purchase will be a 7rm.
              I had my 7RM built with a 1:8 twist so I could use the 195 Berger. At 2850 fps it carries 1000 ft/lbs out to 1200 yards. The 28 Nosler increases that range to 1400 yards which didn't seem to be worth the extra ammo expense, barrel length, and need of a muzzle brake. Recoil is light enough that my 13-yr old son can shoot it and the faster twist has had no effect on accuracy or MV of the lighter 160 Accubonds I use most of the time.

Comment

In your brain pan which one hits the mark? IMO 99% of shooting is phycological and muscle memory.
                Two guys can shoot the same "gun" and the result will be different.

Comment

Douglas or Kreiger barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

I disagree. The 280 AI doesn’t “shine” over the 7mag. The 280 AI is about as perfect a cartridge ever concieved for North America. But to say it “outshines” the 7mag is a stretch.

Comment

I have a 280ai and it has become my favorite rifle. I also have a 300win and a 7mm mag in almost the same configuration. 25” proof research barrel on the ai and 26” on the 7mm. I like shooting both but the longest I shoot at any deer would be about 500yds tops. That being said I’ve started taking longer shots at pigs and smacked one last weekend at 679 yrds with a 140ttsx and he dropped on the spot because I spined him. This 280ai has seen the field much more then the other 2. And for some reason I feel that my 280 has a handicap to it, super accurate. I load 140AB to 3100, 140TTSX to 3080, 150ABLR to 3055 and 160AB to a little over 3000. The powder it likes the best is H4831sc and my most recent load with RL16 It really likes too. I also use federal 215m primers all across the board on it. I’ve been working up some 168 vld loads that are looking promising for longer range plinking at pigs. I just haven’t gotten it nailed down yet.

Comment

Who uses a 24" tube to test top level velocities of the most efficient Ackley round ever made & then compared to other belted mags made to feel they are even in the same family / future generation??...I've seen standard 24"tube speeds using the 30-06 parent case with the lighter usable bullets for deer hitting the desired 3k/ft.easily achieved.

The 280ai gets her velocity readings of a 7mag with less powder & substantially less felt recoil which is even more outstanding when you compare the cases by volume side by side. Both great rounds but the 280ai is the superior cal / round in terms of efficiency with performance No other current case design in her fight class can equal the results with such minimal case capacity.

Name a round that can touch a 120gr bullet at 3400fps out of 26" tube with a case capacity of the 30-06 & recoils like a 25-06
                        Last edited by Artos; 11-18-2018, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Name a round that can touch a 120gr bullet at 3400fps out of 26" tube with a case capacity of the 30-06 & recoils like a 25-06
                          I have a 6.5 Gibbs that can do that each and every day and twice on Sunday.. I normally run 140’s though at a little over 3200fps.

Comment

... surprised Stick1 hasn't chimed in. 280 AI is one of his favorites

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                              I have a 6.5 Gibbs that can do that each and every day and twice on Sunday.. I normally run 140’s though at a little over 3200fps.
                              ...PRC maybe I'll have to check speeds

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

According to hodgdon a 3006 can do it but with a 125 grain bullet and less powder, but fanboy on brother, fanboy on.....

PS recoil is a direct result of bullet weight, powder weight, velocity, and rifle weight, but the laws of physics never stopped anyone else on the internet, so don't let it discourage you

Comment

Working...
                                X