Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
    .300 win is overkill IMO.
    .270 and .308 will get it done with less weight and recoil.
    Dont forget about the 30-06. I always do.
    what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
      I always liked the use of overkill....as in there are various degrees of dead. IMO there can be just as much damage to a deer with a 243 as with a 300 WIN, i.e. you center punch the shoulder with a 243 and there will be so much damaged meat that very little will be edible. There is a lot of hunters that think a 270 and 30-06 is best all around calibers and I can definitely see why, but when I think of all around I'm thinking deer all the way up to moose and even large bears. For that reason I like the .30 caliber magnums as they are more efficient on the larger end of the spectrum. If all you hunt is WT then anything from a 25-06 to a 308 is perfect, but then again that would not be saying "All Around" IMO.

I have guided a lot of hunters in south texas on some really big deer and we have had to trail more deer that are shot with big calibers than the small to medium. The ballistic tip bullets are part of the problem as well. The high calibers blow right through and don't do enough damage.

Softer tip bullet expands when it hits making more damage, which is why the .243 always tears crap up but they are usually dead about 20yds are less away. I tell clients if they are going to shoot a $4,000 deer don't you want to make sure it dies right there?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        I always liked the use of overkill....as in there are various degrees of dead. IMO there can be just as much damage to a deer with a 243 as with a 300 WIN, i.e. you center punch the shoulder with a 243 and there will be so much damaged meat that very little will be edible. There is a lot of hunters that think a 270 and 30-06 is best all around calibers and I can definitely see why, but when I think of all around I'm thinking deer all the way up to moose and even large bears. For that reason I like the .30 caliber magnums as they are more efficient on the larger end of the spectrum. If all you hunt is WT then anything from a 25-06 to a 308 is perfect, but then again that would not be saying "All Around" IMO.

I’ll always hunt whitetail. Starting to get into larger species hunting like elk, exotics, bear, and possibly moose one day. That’s why wanted something that would efficiently cover them all. I could understand where .300 win mag would be a little heavy for whitetail, but think shot placement and what grain you use helps with that. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not really sure the whole “overkill” argument. I’ve seen .22”s and .223 damage more “meat” than a magnum round. Depends on bullet type and shot placement. Go big, get a .300 win mag. You can literally do anything.

Comment

.270 and .308 will get it done

Comment

Whatever you decide find the round that the harmonics of your rifle like and stay with it. The ballistic coefficient is best in heavier bullets because they are longer. If you 300 win shouts 220 grain Barnes Triple Shocks the best always shoot this round whether shooting a rabbit or elephant

Comment

GET A COPY OF JACK OCONNERS BOOK "HUNTING IN THE SOUTHWEST"
                ITS an older book but well written as he compares the 270 to the 30-06.
                Jack was a great advocate for the 270 Winchester round and it was his chosen rifle .

Comment

I like the 25-06 it has got the job done on everything that I have shot with it. I also have two 300 win mag and they both shoot lights out. Carry what you want just be comfortable with it and it will not matter.

Comment

I had a "one gun do it all " rifle built for me this year.

I chose a .300 win mag w/ a muzzle brake. This gun will cover me for Mule deer, elk, moose,goats,sheep, bear, African game, etc.

yes, for a whitetail its overkill but I have other rifles for that. A .270 is fine for elk but I wouldn't really want to shoot a Yukon Moose or Grizzly with it.

a .300 win mag is probably the most versatile of all the magnum rounds.

If your talking about a one gun rifle its better to err on the side of heavy. I like the .270 and 7mm-08 but imo they are not a do all cartridge for north america

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      I had a "one gun do it all " rifle built for me this year.

I chose a .300 win mag w/ a muzzle brake. This gun will cover me for Mule deer, elk, moose,goats,sheep, bear, African game, etc.

yes, for a whitetail its overkill but I have other rifles for that. A .270 is fine for elk but I wouldn't really want to shoot a Yukon Moose or Grizzly with it.

a .300 win mag is probably the most versatile of all the magnum rounds.

If your talking about a one gun rifle its better to err on the side of heavy. I like the .270 and 7mm-08 but imo they are not a do all cartridge for north america

I have a .257 WYB mag for whitetail if need be. I whitetail hunt often so I’d get to shoot it more and get more comfortable with it for the big trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What, no love for the Creed?

Comment

30s are good out to 400. If you are wanting to stretch look at 29 Nosler or 7mm guns. Long skinny bullet holds up better at range. I really depends on what you are meaning all around gun. Get what you want after you educate yourself and your hunting possibilities-Creedmore is very attractive if you have not looked there

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                            You can literally do anything.
                            Except shoot it a lot.

Comment

Heard good things about the Bergara's and 300 will cover your bases so sounds solid. 7.9 pounds plus a scope shouldn't be awful recoil either.

No first hand experience on my end so apologies there
                              Last edited by 150class; 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Love all mentioned so buy ONE of each and have fun rotating to your specific hunt, lol!

Oh, don't forget the 6.5 CM or Grendel??

Comment

Working...
                                X