Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My clover doesn't look near as good as Big Bone's does, but it will look better after I spray it next week. It's the green strip between the plots. Real World beans in the far plot, IC peas in the close one.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      This pretty well covers the basics, but I'll add one thing. Well, two things. A soil test is not only recommended, it's almost mandatory for success. Amend your soil accordingly and use the fertilizer as recommended. The other thing is to plant what will thrive in the moisture you normally have. We can grow almost anything in ETexas, but your choices are probably gonna be more limited.

QDMA website is a good place to start. They have several crop profiles that you can study. Good luck !
      Valid additions for sure.

I'm fortunate to have neutral soil.

Comment

I got about 3 acres planted on my place yesterday. I planted Real World RR beans in two one acre plots where I've had some severe weeds problems and IC peas in two other smaller plots. I got these plots disced up Wednesday and put out 1,050 lb. of fertilizer and almost 200 lb. of seed yesterday. I was tired ! Hope the cuss-ed hogs didn't eat up my seed last night
        Perfect timing on the planting. I wanted to plant earlier this week, but decided to cut, rake and bale all of this winter wheat and oats, along with some 2' tall grain rye mixed in. I figured it would take some doing to get all of this stuff amended in, so I'm going to get most of it out of here.

Comment

Finally looks like we got some much needed rain!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Finally looks like we got some much needed rain!!!
            Great thread Brandon. Will not be able to get anything done this spring, but I want to do some in the fall. My spot at the new lease is in a pasture bottom along a hardwood creek. I could plant ALOT, I plan to do a good bit. Have you used the Turner Seeds before? Good results? Do they ship?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              What can you spray on a sunflower, millet, lablab, sorghum plot to kill summer weeds?
              There is no herbicide to cover all that , just like Low Fence said. That is one problem planting a blend as well as fertilizer selection. The best you can hope for is your seed to get taller than the weeds and block them out.

There is selective herbicides but they will kill grass or broad leaf or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                Great thread Brandon. Will not be able to get anything done this spring, but I want to do some in the fall. My spot at the new lease is in a pasture bottom along a hardwood creek. I could plant ALOT, I plan to do a good bit. Have you used the Turner Seeds before? Good results? Do they ship?
                Yes they will ship. This is the first spring plot. We have had good results with there fall blend though.

Comment

Originally posted by brandona View Post
                  yes they will ship. This is the first spring plot. We have had good results with there fall blend though.
                  pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    What can you spray on a sunflower, millet, lablab, sorghum plot to kill summer weeds?
                    Arrest Max (Clethodim) I think would be safe for all except maybe the Millet.. so would be up to you if you tried it. I'm just going by product label, no real world experience but thought that may help. I plan to use it in a few weeks on my Powerplant and additional I/C Peas, Lab Lab, and soybeans once they get up 3-4"

Whitetail Institute Arrest Max Herbicide

WHERE TO USE:
                    This product may be used to remove grassy weeds on plots grown for wildlife food.

TOLERANT PLANTS
                    Alfalfa
                    Carrots
                    Clover (Sweet, White and Other Species)
                    Flax
                    Lablab
                    Parsnips
                    Peas Southern Peas
                    Sugarbeets
                    Turnips
                    Canola*
                    Chufa
                    Garden and Red Beets
                    Mustard
                    Peanuts
                    Radish
                    Soybeans
                    Sunflowers
                    *Not for Canola grown in California.

Comment

This pretty well covers the basics, but I'll add one thing. Well, two things. A soil test is not only recommended, it's almost mandatory for success. Amend your soil accordingly and use the fertilizer as recommended. The other thing is to plant what will thrive in the moisture you normally have. We can grow almost anything in ETexas, but your choices are probably gonna be more limited.

QDMA website is a good place to start. They have several crop profiles that you can study. Good luck !
                      Dang boy, you been humpin! Are you all planted?

We got a little rain but nuttin like y'all got. I got some dove weed coming in a few places and johnson grass. Got my Basagran ready for some Nutsedge, but I will try a few spots to see how it affect peas.

Going hog hunting tomorrow night, I am really thinking about one of them big corral hog traps with drop down door.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Dang boy, you been humpin! Are you all planted?

We got a little rain but nuttin like y'all got. I got some dove weed coming in a few places and johnson grass. Got my Basagran ready for some Nutsedge, but I will try a few spots to see how it affect peas.

Going hog hunting tomorrow night, I am really thinking about one of them big corral hog traps with drop down door.
                        Felt like humpin' to this old man ! Yesterday was the first good days work I've put in for a while ! I have one more plot, about an acre or less, to disc and plant Monday. Then it's off to Trinity Co. to plant a 1.75 acre plot with sunn hemp and a few IC peas. I'm planting the peas in there to "train" the deer to eat the sunn hemp. We'll see how that works

I don't know how much rain we got at Mt. Enterprise, but .5" would have suited me. I had plenty of moisture right under the surface. Pretty sure we got more than that, but I'll find out tomorrow night when I try to assassinate some more swine.

I noticed a little nutsedge on the side of one of my bean plots when I sprayed gly last week, and I plan to plant clover there this fall, so I went ahead and hit it with gly. That stuff is tough to kill. Good luck with it !

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                          Arrest Max (Clethodim) I think would be safe for all except maybe the Millet.. so would be up to you if you tried it. I'm just going by product label, no real world experience but thought that may help. I plan to use it in a few weeks on my Powerplant and additional I/C Peas, Lab Lab, and soybeans once they get up 3-4"

Whitetail Institute Arrest Max Herbicide

WHERE TO USE:
                          This product may be used to remove grassy weeds on plots grown for wildlife food.

TOLERANT PLANTS
                          Alfalfa
                          Carrots
                          Clover (Sweet, White and Other Species)
                          Flax
                          Lablab
                          Parsnips
                          Peas Southern Peas
                          Sugarbeets
                          Turnips
                          Canola*
                          Chufa
                          Garden and Red Beets
                          Mustard
                          Peanuts
                          Radish
                          Soybeans
                          Sunflowers
                          *Not for Canola grown in California.
                          I think cleth will kill sorghum also. Not that I've tried it, but Whitetail Institute supposedly replaced the milo in one of their blends and substituted sunn hemp so it could be sprayed with cleth. I would spot spray and see before I sprayed the whole plot.

Comment

I got about 3 acres planted on my place yesterday. I planted Real World RR beans in two one acre plots where I've had some severe weeds problems and IC peas in two other smaller plots. I got these plots disced up Wednesday and put out 1,050 lb. of fertilizer and almost 200 lb. of seed yesterday. I was tired ! Hope the cuss-ed hogs didn't eat up my seed last night
                            Man that’s nice and smooth and lookin great.
                            Can’t wait to see the progress of the RR beans. Always wanted to try them out.

Comment

I think cleth will kill sorghum also. Not that I've tried it, but Whitetail Institute supposedly replaced the milo in one of their blends and substituted sunn hemp so it could be sprayed with cleth. I would spot spray and see before I sprayed the whole plot.
                              Yep I meant to say millet and sorghum. Good catch.

Comment

Got my last 2 plots planted today. All 6 done!

Plots I planted Thursday are already up

Comment

Working...
                                X