Experimental “diet”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
    Well I am pleased to report that things are still going well. Now down 11.5 lbs since Jan 1. Going to make an appointment for bloodwork next week to see what changes if any to cholesterol and other stuff have happened (if the cost isn’t too high).

Biggest changes are that my appetite has decreased by about half and I can go for hours after the first feeling of hunger and still have plenty of energy. At first I was eating all day long, whatever whenever and however much I wanted. My energy level has evened out considerably and I just don’t feel the urge to eat. Meat, veggies, and tons of fruit. Rice whenever we make something that is good with rice. That’s about it. Not overdoing salads or grilled meat either. Have nearly purged all sugar from the diet except what comes from fruit.

Last weekend I also finally admitted to myself that I have been abusing alcohol and so I made the decision to cut that out. I’m just done with how it makes me feel and how I act when I drink. No alcohol will keep the weekends from going out of control so I expect the metabolism to pick up a bit and have more continuity from Friday to Monday.
    Good job sounds like you going in the right direction, just a little FYI. When a person stops using alcohol they will start craving sugar so you may want to keep some honey or hard candy around to curve the cravings.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
      Just a suggestion on having bloodwork done, but if you are paying out of pocket you might wait a while longer. When I started eating differently, it was recommended I wait at least 6 weeks to have bloodwork redone, and preferably 8-12 weeks. You’ll see some changes fairly quickly, but some things take longer for your body to adapt to. Our insurance pays for the labs as part of our health incentive package, but not all do.

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and it was $274 without insurance. Walgreens has a home test where you ***** your finger that’s cheaper but it sounds like my science experiment might be more expensive than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to you in every way. Seems to me that you have chosen to take charge of your health by choosing a lifestyle more than a 'diet'. Wise choice! It is unarguable that the modern western diet is contributory to many [ most ] of the health issues faced today. You may find that as you choose more nutrient dense foods that not only do your health markers improve but you become more attuned to your bodies needs. This begins an upward spiral to continuing better health, even better diet and fitness awareness with resultant improvements including continually higher energy levels, mental clarity, libido , better sleep...and the list goes on.

The down side is you may find eating at restaurants makes you feel yucky many times. Your body will become more sensitive to lower quality food. Come to find out the ingredients and sauces and such used to make food ' taste good' aren't really that good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
          Good job sounds like you going in the right direction, just a little FYI. When a person stops using alcohol they will start craving sugar so you may want to keep some honey or hard candy around to curve the cravings.
          This. When I was a drinker I never ate sweets. Once I quit, it was on like Michelle Kwan. "Craving" is an understatement. I quit drinking and smoking, and sugar is by FAR harder(for me). I still have hail with it...

Comment

For those of you doing this type of diet do you not eat bread at all?

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post

For what I’m trying to do, if it doesn’t exist naturally, I don’t eat it. So no bread or anything related to it. No sugar, but honey is ok. No bread, no cookies, etc is easy. No tortillas is dang near killing me though.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
                Bread only at certain times for me. If I’m running hard or really getting after it one day, I’ll allow myself the carbs. I also love pizza, so I’ll get some every once in a while.

I’ve found after two years of bouncing between primal and Keto type lifestyles that it takes me 20-30 days of clean eating and hard workouts to see solid results. My next goal is 45 days clean to see what it does. The tough part is that migraines tend to creep up when I go a little overboard on training.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  This begins an upward spiral...

That is a great way to describe how I feel lately.

Comment

Congrats on the diet plan. Many will say a diet is best sustainable if you throw in a cheat day. Is this something you do or are you disciplined to maintain your plan at all times?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                      Congrats on the diet plan. Many will say a diet is best sustainable if you throw in a cheat day. Is this something you do or are you disciplined to maintain your plan at all times?

In similar diets in the past if I did more than a single cheat meal, cheat day became cheat weekend, which lasted from Friday after lunch all the way until I crashed Sunday night with a belly full of queso and 8 beers.

So far the thing I like about how this is working out is that it isn’t focused on what I can’t have. It’s focused on all the natural foods that I can eat and the fact that if I want to shovel my fat face with as much of those as I want, it’s all good. I’m discovering that even with doing this my appetite is decreasing significantly with much longer lasting energy.

Comment

Congrats on your progress.. I started eating better about 6 months ago. I woke up one day and decided I didn't like how the alcohol made me feel. I quit drinking beer cokes sweet tea etc. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore.. I eat mostly meat and veggies.. I also do a couple 18 hour fast when I work nights.. I'm down 35 lbs got off 2 blood pressure meds .. unfortunately it didnt do much for my cholesterol.

Comment

Been doing something similar since NYE. I coined it my “Harvesters diet” .. lol. Basically there is just one rule - Except for cooking, you have to eat things as close as possible to the state in which they were harvested. For example, grilled meats, raw/cooked vegetables, fresh fruit, whole nuts, etc.. Eat nothing that comes in a box or a can or a bag on a grocery shelf...I also take a cheat day every so often though..

Comment

So your eating FOOD, good job. We often times confuse the crap 99% of the world eats, with FOOD.
                            And your not paleo, that's good imo, paleo leaves a lot of good healthy stuff out.
                            Also, your gut health, has a huge impact on your overall health, and aides you greatly in weight loss.
                            Diet drinks (all of them), either inhibit, or kill good bacteria in your gut, and create a multitude of problems in your gut.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              So your eating FOOD, good job. We often times confuse the crap 99% of the world eats, with FOOD.
                              And your not paleo, that's good imo, paleo leaves a lot of good healthy stuff out.
                              Also, your gut health, has a huge impact on your overall health, and aides you greatly in weight loss.
                              Diet drinks (all of them), either inhibit, or kill good bacteria in your gut, and create a multitude of problems in your gut.
                              You raise a great point with the gut health statement. My stomach can normally handle one cheat meal/day. But after altering my diet to more Whole Foods, I will start having all kinds of issues if I fall off the wagon for too long. I’ve gotten to the point that I push myself to see how long I can go without wanting any junk. I’ve found that more often than not a portion of rice can feel like a cheat enough for me and I’m good to go for a while.

Focusing on the positive parts of your lifestyle will be a great reinforcement as you go, and you’ll notice that over time your body will reject anything that doesn’t fall in line with your new diet

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                                In similar diets in the past if I did more than a single cheat meal, cheat day became cheat weekend, which lasted from Friday after lunch all the way until I crashed Sunday night with a belly full of queso and 8 beers.

So far the thing I like about how this is working out is that it isn’t focused on what I can’t have. It’s focused on all the natural foods that I can eat and the fact that if I want to shovel my fat face with as much of those as I want, it’s all good. I’m discovering that even with doing this my appetite is decreasing significantly with much longer lasting energy.
                                Ok. Just stay away from the tortillas lol
                                I’m pretty disciplined too. I followed the keto plan very well for awhile. My wife & I are starting a plan and exploring more of a long term sustainable one as we move forward. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X