Warrior Axis Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warrior Axis Down

The morning started out typical with us running late and scrambling to get everything together. Got jewellhuntress up and moving and took her to her stand then drove all the way across the ranch to my spot. Parked the buggy and I was off bow in hand. Started into my spot with roughly a 400 yard walk. I had intended to go in with no light as this was my first morning hunt in this location, but the wind mill made an spooky creak and I got to thinking about snakes and quickly fumbled for a light. Finally made it to the tripod and got set. Absolutely awesome morning with a thunderstorm in the distance and sun coming up through the clouds. When the feeder through at first gray light I was concerned nothing was there. Did I spook em getting in, is the wind wrong scratching my head and overthinking everything I heard corn crunching. A scrub 6 point had slipped in on me. Then it got real, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A group of 4 axis were coming to the feeder though they were still a 100 yards out I could see horns coming thru the mesquite. I reached for my binoculars and quickly identified him as mature and left it at that. Then he’s on the back side of the feeder forrrreeeevvvveeerrr. I mean at least 15 seconds. Turning towards me he’s working around and starting to get broad side. I honestly don’t remember drawing back but I settled my pin and touched one off. My rage trypan followed by a nocturnal nock disappeared right behind his shoulder with a good whack. He ran out of sight but I knew it was a good shot. I thanked the lord and texted my wife, dad and a couple buddies then started the grueling count down. I hate waiting, but I didn’t wanna push him by going after him too quick. So I waited a solid 30 minutes before I couldn’t stand it anymore and got down to look for blood. Blood trail was awesome for the first 100 feet and then it turned spotty on me in the tall grass and cactus. Doubt started to creep in. Was the shot maybe a little high? Why was there not more blood? I took off in the direction I thought he went and couldn’t find anything my mind is reeling at this point but I made my self go back to last blood and that’s when I found more blood. I’ll bet there was 30 yards where I found no blood but then the blood trail picked back up. Walking slowly only finding specs of blood then I came across a 12” puddle where he had stopped and I knew he couldn’t be far. When stepped around the next bush there he was piled up. Huge flood of emotions over took me joy relief and so many more. I had tracked him almost 200 yards. This ol boy was tough. When I gutted him I had double lunged him and cut the top of his heart. He should have been dead in 50’. Then I went to get my ranger and the work started. Pretty tough to load mature axis buck by your self but I got it done and was headed in. Went to pick up my wife and load a whitetail doe that she killed and back to camp we went. It was a hunt I’ll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding, congrats!

Comment

fantastic!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Awesome, congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats to you both.

Comment

Congrats !

Comment

Nice job Brandon.Some fine eating right there. You two doubled up!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

You gave that old man a story he deserved. Great hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet! Congrats

Comment

congrats

Comment

Well done on both. Congrats to you and the Mrs!

Comment

Thats incredible that you hit lungs and heart and he still went that far. I would never have imagined that. Great read and congrats on the harvest!

Comment

Working...
                              X