Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a change....Need some opinions

Warning...Long Read

So I am not much on talking about myself or what is goin on in my life, but I am seeking some wisdom from the green screen..

I am only 35 years old and have a long career ahead of me, and I'm thinking of changing jobs and seeking employment else ware or completely changing up my career and doing something different. I have an associates and a BS in Industrial Technology.

My dilemma, I have been working as a Project Estimator in the oil, Petrochemical & Technology field now for 15 years in Tyler and have been working for this company now for 10. My boss has been supposedly trying to get me a salary adjustment now for the last 3 years to bump me up to where I should be, only to be turned down by corporate HR. Now the last year our company has since merged with another company and everyone has been on a raise freeze.

Should I stay and ride this out to see how it turns out, or should i find something different?

If there is anyone out there that knows of any opening in Estimating, Project Controls or Sales, Please shoot me a message. At this point i am weighing all options.

Thank you for your inputs and opinions!

God Bless!

When you are selling your labor, you sell it to the highest bidder

Comment

Are you married? Kids?

If not, do whatever you want...what could it hurt?

Comment

Plenty of work on the gulf coast. $45 -75hr for Project Controls folks....depending on exp.

Comment

Yes I am married and have 2 kids a 4 month old baby girl and a 3 yo boy.

Comment

Always hear of companies looking for good estimators. If someone is "trying" to get you a raise for 3 years, they aren't really trying at all.... Sounds like a crappy boss and company.

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
              Always hear of companies looking for good estimators. If someone is "trying" to get you a raise for 3 years, they aren't really trying at all.... Sounds like a crappy boss and company.
              my boss is really a great guy its the people above him that are crappy.

Comment

If you are on a raise freeze, I am confident to tell you that your company is the exception. This is one of the strongest economies in 20 years, unemployment is at historical lows, and oil prices are trending upward. If your company is not giving you a raise, they are struggling, they are not treating you fairly, and your pay is actual decreasing because inflation is going up each year and you stay at the same pay.

All this should translate into at LEAST 2.5% pay raises to keep up. You should reassess your valuation - it sounds like you are looking for a job that is not all too rare and so it should be easy to get some offers and then you can decide if you want to even give your current company a change to counter. I want to believe your boss is advocating for you but i am very serious doubts that he and HR are on such different pages - you should consider whether he is being transparent.

Good luck!

Comment

I was frozen for a few years and left after 18 years of service (I was 53 at the time). It was a lateral move (2 years ago) for the first year but I got $2/hr raise after 12 months. Now I am going in the right direction. You just have to not take *%it from them. Your boss maybe getting a kickback on what he is not paying you. I have told very good people when they were due a raise and people above me said no, I was honest with them and said they may need to look elsewhere for a raise. I would give them a good reference.

Comment

I live in Alba, not too far from you. the biggest thing is do not quit your job until you have another job for sure. I have seen a lot of guys quit current jobs because someone told them they would hire them, only to find out that was not so.

Comment

best way to get a raise is to get a new job, in the process, your present employer will see that you are willing to leave, and might match the offer of the new place.

you have 30 years left of work to get done, lots of time to move around and try new things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigt338 View Post
                        I live in Alba, not too far from you. the biggest thing is do not quit your job until you have another job for sure. I have seen a lot of guys quit current jobs because someone told them they would hire them, only to find out that was not so.
                        Yea i defiantly will not leave unless i have something else already lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                          best way to get a raise is to get a new job, in the process, your present employer will see that you are willing to leave, and might match the offer of the new place.

you have 30 years left of work to get done, lots of time to move around and try new things.
                          I hear ya on that. I love the Tyler and surrounding areas but I am really contemplating on a move. Just a change of scenery for a while.

Comment

May want to look at the Gulf Coast if you don't mind moving. A lot of companies are looking for experienced people right now and the money is as good as I have seen it in a long time.

Comment

If you’re good at your job and the company needs you, they will all of a sudden find the money they couldn’t find for 3 years after you put in your notice.

Comment

Working...
                              X