No announcement yet.

Gas or diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you plan on keeping it for a while? If so, I'd pass on the newer diesels ( post-emission ) and go with a gasser. jmho

Comment

I drove diesel from 1990 to 2017. I now drive a F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. I have been happy with my choice. If I was hauling loads even 1/3 of the time I would have stayed with diesel. I don't consider a lowboy with a sxs and 4 wheeler a load or a bass boat a load. My truck pulling either one of the above trailers averages 14 plus hand calculated and 20-21 empty. Also, some say gas is cheaper but all I run is premium which is what's recommended and it's a little more than diesel. If I was buying a truck to make a living and haul then I would go diesel. Otherwise a 1500 series with Eco would be my choice. Good luck.

Comment

I think the emmissions alone on new ones should push people away from them. If you tow here and there a gasser is fine. Dodge I think does the lifetime warranty on the 6.4 gasser to so you can get that not on the diesel.

If you tow all the time diesel. Tow sometimes gas is the way to go and the Toyota does well towing heavy or a Chevy 6.2 1500 would be great to

Comment

I went from a 2012 Ram diesel to a 2017 6.4 Hemi and don't regret it at all. It will pull anything I need to, and has a ton of power. Pretty quick too.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
            I drove diesel from 1990 to 2017. I now drive a F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. I have been happy with my choice. If I was hauling loads even 1/3 of the time I would have stayed with diesel. I don't consider a lowboy with a sxs and 4 wheeler a load or a bass boat a load. My truck pulling either one of the above trailers averages 14 plus hand calculated and 20-21 empty. Also, some say gas is cheaper but all I run is premium which is what's recommended and it's a little more than diesel. If I was buying a truck to make a living and haul then I would go diesel. Otherwise a 1500 series with Eco would be my choice. Good luck.

You must doing 55 on I-10 to get that I get 10mpg pulling my rig West. With a 16’ low boy doing 75, 18 mpg around town. And yes I have a 2017 3.5 eco. But I don’t think I will buy another gas truck. This will be my 4th one, but I just like the confidence in a diesel when hauling a load. No matter how light it is. I like having the stopping power of 3/4 ton compared to 1/2 ton trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              I went from a 2012 Ram diesel to a 2017 6.4 Hemi and don't regret it at all. It will pull anything I need to, and has a ton of power. Pretty quick too.

How’s the gas mileage on that rig lol?

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                Went to gas from a diesel. Glad I did. No regrets here for my use. If I pulled heavy all the time I would go diesel again.
                Same here

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                  How’s the gas mileage on that rig lol?

16-17 on highway doing 75-80mph. Seems to do better at that speed rather than 65-70. About 13 in town.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Went to gas from a diesel. Glad I did. No regrets here for my use. If I pulled heavy all the time I would go diesel again.
                    Second this.

Comment

Maintenance is actually cheaper on my cummins than my hemi.

Hemi oil change was $100 give or take every 5K miles. So every 20k miles was $500

Cummins Oil change is $100 every 10k miles and fuel filters at $200 every 15K. So at 20k miles it is $400

$100 cheaper to drive a diesel 20k miles than a hemi 6.4

as far as DEF. In 10K miles I have used $8 worth of DEF (that is pretty much nothing)

Comment

Drive both. If you like the way a gasser drives they are great trucks. If you like the power of a diesel, especially having driven one for so long, you might not like a gasser. Most people don't "need" a diesel at all, but some have to justify owning one to everyone. Neither one is "better" if you aren't happy with it. I've got a 6.4 Hemi. It does all I need it to do. YMMV
                        Last edited by jdg13; 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

If you're not pulling trailers at least a few times a week I don't see the need for a diesel truck

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                            as far as DEF. In 10K miles I have used $8 worth of DEF (that is pretty much nothing)
                            Where are you finding DEF for that cheap? Cheapest I have found it is like $2/gallon at a truck stop DEF pump.

Comment

Just finished up with new vehicle shopping and stuck with gas. I test drove several diesel and gas 3/4 tons. I couldn’t justify the added cost of a diesel to make slightly better fuel mileage. Went with the 6.4 hemi, and have been very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                Maintenance is actually cheaper on my cummins than my hemi.

Hemi oil change was $100 give or take every 5K miles. So every 20k miles was $500

Cummins Oil change is $100 every 10k miles and fuel filters at $200 every 15K. So at 20k miles it is $400

$100 cheaper to drive a diesel 20k miles than a hemi 6.4

Seems the same cost to me. Your math is wrong on the hemi. 4 oil changes in 20k miles is $400 at $100 each.

Comment

Working...
                                X