Hunting doves over "bait"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
    Ronnie41 is right, and here is something that will make you crazy. Take that same field, harvest the crop, and immediately turn around and scatter it on the ground and it becomes baiting.
    Yep, and makes no sense at all. Why not just skip the formalities of me having to plant the crap and just let me scatter the seed I bought a couple weeks before season?

Comment

I can tell you that they don't allow "planting" hen scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Disc a field and broadcast oats and winter wheat. Light disc in. Dove and deer will love u.

Comment

The migratory laws are more liberal for doves versus other migratory birds. At one point you could not plant millet for ducks and hunt the same year but could Hunt the second year on regrowth.

If you plant corn for doves and shred it, that is okay. If you plant corn and combine e it then later spread it in the field that is baiting.

Comment

What about oyster shell? It's not food, but they love it. Years ago when they had white shell roads the dove were thick like flys on the shell road.

Comment

Some guys in our group got tickets for hunting the rice spillage from grain carts a few years ago. Honestly a warden can ticket you for anything remotely questionable....

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                This is legal.

Now, spreading corn and milo on a hundred acre dirt field a few weeks before season is not.
                ?????? is this planting crops for hunting?

If its spread weeks before season it should all be gone well before the required 1O days for hunting.

This is a serious question and not looking for any smart replies even though they'd be well deserved. Can a person put out water and pea gravel[grit] to attract doves?

Comment

Tpwd plants milo and sunflowers on the public hunting lands that are for dove only and then knocks it down in rows.

Comment

So it IS LEGAL to plant sunflowers and/or corn and shred it before season, to hunt over, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                      So it IS LEGAL to plant sunflowers and/or corn and shred it before season, to hunt over, correct?
                      YEP!! Just ask Farmdog & the WWA crowd!!

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I can tell you that they don't allow "planting" hen scratch.
                      Go Figure?? No germination??

Life is strange...I just don't get it some times .

Comment

Legal [emoji12]

I planted my dove field 2 weeks ago!

Comment

Just come to Mexico ....no worries....somehow lots of milo hits the ground 2 weeks before season

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            Just come to Mexico ....no worries....somehow lots of milo hits the ground 2 weeks before season
                            just that pesky cartel. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                              Legal [emoji12]

I planted my dove field 2 weeks ago!

Sunflowers and ?

Will they work the field hard the first year it's planted?

Comment

Best Dove hunting I ever saw was on a field that was planted in Sun Flowers and then before season opened they came in with a plane and sprayed it to kill it and left it standing. Then they mowed walking lanes about every 30' through it. The sky would turn black with Dove when you walked through that field.

Comment

Working...
                                X