Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever caught a deer in a hog trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone ever caught a deer in a hog trap?

i was curious to know if anyone has ever caught a deer in a hog trap in the off season. i had a buddie happen to him on one of my traps and the doe that was trapped in there trampled and thrashed around the cage to where she had broke her jaw and ripped most of her hind quarter hide off. He had called me asking what to do and i told him best thing to do is call a game warden. Was that the best adivce?

stuff happens .... that's why the top should be open

luckily this deer survived ..... my suggestion : cut the top off to save deer

Comment

I knew a guy that was charged in Taylor with Trapping a WT. i don't think that one died though.

let us know the outcome.

Comment

now taking the top off the trap, would that be good still for big pigs? i just dont want them pigs climbin out lol. so far from what i know the game warden told him to take it. but for future references i think im going to cut the tops off them off or maybe make one thats taller and cut the top off that one.

Comment

Use bait that deer wont eat! Diesel corn ect...

Comment

I caught a doe in a hog trap with a open top 50" high panels with diesel soured corn

Comment

Had a buddy have two hogs climb out of his trap. He has game cam pic

Comment

I almost got trampled by a doe in a trap when I was in HS... It got pretty ugly. When you cut the top out leave about 8" of the panel around the top to keep the hogs from climbing out.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                  I almost got trampled by a doe in a trap when I was in HS... It got pretty ugly. When you cut the top out leave about 8" of the panel around the top to keep the hogs from climbing out.
                  You can do this or put up several pieces of barbed wire across the door to keep the deer out. Chances are the door is too big allowing the deer to get trapped.

Comment

Crazy

Comment

Once caught a button buck in a close top hog trap. He was pretty banged up from thrashing around in there but we got him released and I'm sure he made it. Blaze is right. Cut the top out to completely prevent this from happening.

Comment

We caught a doe in one o our traps before. It moved the trap about 20ft from where we had it before.

Comment

Originally posted by JEG8233 View Post
                          You can do this or put up several pieces of barbed wire across the door to keep the deer out. Chances are the door is too big allowing the deer to get trapped.
                          This

Comment

We have caught 2 in Quanah last year till we made the door smaller..Both were bucks in Velvet

Comment

Best thing I have found to keep deer out of hog traps is to place a pc of tarp across the upper part of the door. Deer won't bend down to go under the tarp where hogs will.

Comment

Working...
                              X