Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
djohnson
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County
Default Anybody else bummed out?

My lease in Mason County has been the bullseye of all the rain over the past 6 weeks. I have been unable to get there due to the mud and flooding. They reopened the bridge at Castell but all three access points to my lease (north, west, south) are blocked by mud berms and/or rutted roads rendering my 2 wheel drive truck useless. I'm fearful of attempting getting there with 2 wd towing my Polaris on a flatbed. So it's been a bum archery season so far. Now, of all things, hurricane Willa remnants are heading right for my lease as if to add insult to injury. Hoping the county comes in and tries to blade some of those blocked areas on county road but who knows when they can do that? Anybody else bummed out so far by the water?
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

yes I hope to get out on Friday the weather has been not very nice its raining at my lease again today .
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

I feel your pain missed last weekend because I tore up the road the weekend before getting out
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Got chains for your fourwheeler? We had to chain up for the mud in Colorado last week, truck was basically unstoppable after that.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

It's been a wash since Labor day for us. Supposedly its supposed to be a drying trend starting tomorrow.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
djohnson
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Got chains for your fourwheeler? We had to chain up for the mud in Colorado last week, truck was basically unstoppable after that.
Never thought of chaining up. Gonna have to consider that. I think once I could get actually ON my lease, the Polaris could get me where I need to go. But getting the Polaris there is the scary part.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

I'm in the same boat and feel your pain ! Our lease is in Loyal Valley and we must pass through two ranches to get to the property where we hunt. The private road in is washed out and we have not been able to get in for what will be two weeks, maybe longer! Painful with all this deer hunting weather lately.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Same for me. Got cabin fever.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Yep I hear that! I have been waiting 4 years to hunt the H, got drawn for segment A this year, and of course the flooding happens and they canceled my segments hunt until next year.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Trailerman3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason,Gibtown,Rocksprings

I went down to ours SSW of Mason this past weekend and definitely needed 4x4 about 14miles down dirt road. Been going there over 30yrs and the road was the worst I’ve ever seen. Washouts everywhere 12-14in deep and crazy muddy 4x4 the whole way. One of my feeders and one of my cousins feeders were gone. His new Double Bull was trash and all 3 water gaps washed out. Heck for all we know or feeders made it to the Llano and down to Marble Falls we road a mile of the normally dry creek no where to be found.
Trailerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Our place has flooded 7 times in the past 3 years. We have been on it for almost 30 years, and have only seen it flood twice before this. We had to rebuild our cabin, replace a ranger, and replace 12 feeders after harvey, not to mention over 10 coverts and countless other trail cams.

Here we are again, no access, all cameras are underwater again, but I think it spared our feeders. We had some really nice river bottom deer semi-patterned before this happened. Now, who knows what the rest of the season will be like.

So, I do feel your pain, I just keep telling my self that we have had so many good years out there, that we were due for a few bad ones. I am about at the end of my rope though.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
RR 314
Ten Point

We have springs popping up all over the place in Llano. I thought I had a broken waterline the other day in reached in in there was absolutely no bottom to the hole! Crazy, sloppy mess but I will take it over drought and fires. However, I’m not that mad at deer anymore.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Yep. I’ve got 4”s of river silt everywhere I walk. Dead food plots. No deer on camera and the list goes on.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

If it's not the floods it's the worms
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
kingranch
Ten Point

Get with your neighbors and pitch in on a bobcat rental.. you can blade those washouts clean in no time. I rented one the other week for like 200 day with tracks and tooth bucket
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Get with your neighbors and pitch in on a bobcat rental.. you can blade those washouts clean in no time. I rented one the other week for like 200 day with tracks and tooth bucket
This is true! However, if you rented a skid steer for a day and took it to our place in Llano, you would probably have a huge rental tab after it got buried! Sloppy, soupy red dirt mess. Either feast or famine it seems.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
BarBBar
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Went to TPWD draw hunt at beautiful Kickapoo Cavern State Park two weeks ago and roads to the park were closed due to flooding for days. On third day, managed to slosh through three highway low crossings from Bracketville, but had to hoof it most of the time on the hunt. Now, after that, all of my local hunting spots are under water and more mud sloshing on foot. Using my hand cart for transport, and feel like a plow horse. Good exercise I guess.
BarBBar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I don't have an access issue but I have three Coverts running with little to zero movement.

I stopped by the lease yesterday to check on my food plot. I have a good stand of clover and bean coming in but much of the clover is now standing in water. Not sure how long it can handle that after just sprouting from the ground. The only good thing is the acorns will be gone sooner.

This is the first year in many that I have no interest in sitting in a blind.

Hoping for a freeze by Thanksgiving and that food plot will turn to gold.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Same boat as you. I have had 1 sit all yr. on a positive side deer will be 1 yr older and bigger next year.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

How close can you get to unload all your gear into the polaris and make the trip?
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

I have one spartan that went down so not sure what is going on there maybe a sim card ? , but the other cam has almost nothing on it from getting 3-4 dozens pics a day to 3-4 right now .
Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #22
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Not so much bummed as just waiting on go. The rain has ruined most of bow season for lots of folks but once we get a freeze things will pick up in my neck of the woods. If it wasn't for the rain, we would all be complaining about acorns or the full moon or the heat.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

And this is why I own a Jeep vs ATV/UTV I drive it there and no muddy roads stopping me from hunting.
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #24
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Park the truck and ride the four wheeler in.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #25
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Yeah, I'm seriously bummed. Had hip surgery in June and couldn't go to the lease for a couple of months. I try to go at least every other month to check feeders//cameras, water lines and kill some sheep and pigs. Then it rained out my dove season. I finally made it to the lease the second weekend of October only to find the roads in were in the worst condition ever. Water had rolled down through those draws at least 6-8 feet deep, washing them out, leaving huge boulders in the way. I had to use 4WD to get in and even that was iffy. Then the rear axle goes out on my UTV 3 hours after making it to the lease. Then had to make a round trip drive back home to get the trailer to take the UTV in for repairs. Then it took two hours to get out of the lease on a Sunday when I had planned on leaving on Monday.

Now my UTV is in the shop, the mechanic is out of town until this Friday, which means he probably hasn't ordered the parts yet, which means it will be a week before they come in, which means it won't be ready for opening weekend.

Now a water tender operations training has been scheduled for Nov 10-11 which was a long weekend and I was going to the lease, but no longer, which means I can't go until the weekend of the 17th.

Whew, there I got it all out. Yeah, I'm bummed.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #26
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I havent been to the lease since around March or April. Been too busy working. Have been planning on making a quick trip to get some work done but looks like it has been raining there several times a week for 6-8 weeks......heard the mosquitos are horrendous....
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #27
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

It’ll be over soon, I won’t add to the problem by rutting up the road worse than they already are. I’ll just try to hunt longer and harder the rest of the season. Nothing anyone can do about this crazy weather.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #28
djohnson
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwr View Post
How close can you get to unload all your gear into the polaris and make the trip?
1.5 miles
Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

No. Been working 6 days a week, so it hasnt even come to my mind. Hopefully folks that needed the rain it got it, and the ones it had negative effects on have started getting everthing put back to normal.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #30
docmay
Pope & Young

It sucks! I made it two weekends at the lease then missed the third due to flooding. Now I’m working the next two weekends. Hopefully we can get in there the week of November 9th. It’s a wreck around our place!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #31
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Its not that I cannot get in that is a non issue . Its been POURING rain nothing is moving a few pigs thats about it . The game is hunkered down and waiting it out . Friday will be a good day to hunt for sure
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #32
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

I spoke to our place in Schliecher County, Fort McKavett this morning and it started raining there about 3:00 and is expected to receive about 2" of rain today. With the amount of rain we have had the low water crossing will fill up again. They might go down by Friday it all depends on the rain today, quantity and how fast it rains....
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #33
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

I'm right there with you. Either the weather, the family, or work has killed my entire archery season.

Will still hunt with a stick and string, but good grief, I need a break and a day to just go.

I got my fingers crossed for Saturday. Weather looks ok, and family has been put on notice. And a lot of prayer involved that nothing blows up at work.
hopedale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #34
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

My brother sent me this yesterday....that’s the county road out in front of their gate in Mason

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #35
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
My brother sent me this yesterday....thatís the county road out in front of their gate in Mason

Holy chit!!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #36
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

I can get to my place, but unless the deer are wearing life jackets or want to slosh through the knee deep water there is no action there. I'm hoping that this past 4 days of no rain has helped to get the water running off, but we have 100% chance of rain today. What I'm really bummed about is that for the first time I decided to put in a food plot and worked hard on it for 2 whole days and now I'm sure all the plants have drowned. I'll go out this weekend to see if the water has receded enough to throw out some more seed but will be too muddy to drag.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #37
Raleigh
Ten Point

I am right there with you brother. Haven't been able to hunt our Brady lease in two weeks and now we have rain the forecast again.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #38
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
My brother sent me this yesterday....thatís the county road out in front of their gate in Mason

Gonna be a hot minute before they get into their place!! Wow!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #39
djohnson
Six Point

Quote:

Moose--any idea who to talk to at the county to find out which county roads are passable and which are not? I"m sure they have gotten out to blade some areas already but where?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #40
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
Moose--any idea who to talk to at the county to find out which county roads are passable and which are not? I"m sure they have gotten out to blade some areas already but where?
Unfortunately I don't, not sure how familiar you are with the area but that's Simmonsville Rd.......so I guess you can add it to the list of not passable
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #41
ByronB
Ten Point

I think it is flooding in Houston and the surrounding area at this very moment. This weather has been crazy.
ByronB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #42
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't, not sure how familiar you are with the area but that's Simmonsville Rd.......so I guess you can add it to the list of not passable
I saw that on Facebook the other day! Crazy that it did that to a county road, just imagine the ranch roads!! One of my buddies has been working for a wrecker in Mason, he said it has been solid pulling people out. Most of them have been stuck in the middle of county roads in 4x4 trucks.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #43
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Deer hunting doesn't have me bummed out.

The wet dove season and lack of any actual dove hunts has had me stir crazy.

Tears in my beers over that.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top