Rifle Target Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Target Ideas

Wanting to make a Target for my son to shoot his New rifle with.Kinda getting tired of the Shoot and See bullseye target and the old beer cans.Saw a Steel Gopher at BPS the other day that you could shoot up to a 30/06 at for $89 and it swivels around.Really like this idea.
    Little pricey for me so i called the welding shop here locally and he has some Hardend steel plate that runs about a dollar a Lb and he said a 12x12 would be roughly 20bucks and he would take my design and put it on a CNC machine and cut it for free.Im assuming that is what the steel targets are made of.Anyone have any suggetions as to target shape or different metal.Not trying to spend much more than 40 dollars if possible.

Corn Bandit? Yote? Pig?

Comment

Originally posted by DFW PI View Post
      Corn Bandit? Yote? Pig?
      Kinda what i was thinking but for the price of steel i couldnt afford to make them life size except the Coon.

Comment

I think most of the steel targets are made from either AR400 or AR500 grade steel. Check with your welder to see what he's using to make sure it's up to the job. For some design thoughts, check out this site: http://http://www.agarms.com/pdf/steeltargets.pdf

It's from a target manufacturer, but it's got some interesting information.

Comment

We are your one stop shop for all things ammunition, firearm, and reloading related.

Comment

You might contact the guys at the link below. I've dealt with them for handgun steel.

Comment

6 inch or pie plate round plate steel welded on angle iron, with it welded to an old metal car wheel as the stand

Spray paint it white when shooting so you can see where it hits.

Gives instant sound feedback when hit.

Great for pistol and rifle

Comment

Also, on the pie plate, you may want to make it so that it spins or moves. That way he will learn to take his time and make good shots. With young kids, developing patience is key in learning to shoot.

Comment

There are a few variations of this floating around.

I'd love to have a heavy version and a rimfire version:

We are your one stop shop for all things ammunition, firearm, and reloading related.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    There are a few variations of this floating around.

I'd love to have a heavy version and a rimfire version:

This one is an awesome idea

Comment

These are some Bulletpusher originals that I came up with. I made a set of these for my dad, and mounted them on a fall over rail. They are only pellet gun rated, maybe 22. He had a patio party one night and said that I could have sold quite a few sets to guys at the party. They were quite the conversation pieces, sitting in his flower bed. Most people got the joke, a few were not amused. But this is definitely all tongue in cheek.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I made some quite a while back that were very similar to that but I made them swinging targets for the front of my backstop.

Comment

Clay pigeons

Comment

Found a piece of AR-500 1/2'' today at a Metal dist. 12''x12''. Was a scrap piece of steel so the fellow gave it to me.Finally decided on a Target design. Gonna cut out a life size deer and remove the vital area and mount the plate on hinges for the lung and heart area.Will post up some pics when i get started and finshed up.

Comment

Kind of like the Iron Buck in reverse. I like it. I would use 6-8" sections of chain welded to the top corners of the plate, instead of a hinge though. One less than perfect shot and you'll be replacing the hinge. I guess the chain might have the same problem, but I'm thinking heavy 3/8" chain will probably take a pretty good beating before it gives in.

Comment

Working...
                              X