Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Chromo CO.
Default Thoughts on these feeders?

Several months back A friend and I decided we wanted a larger capacity drum than a standard #55 gallon, and still be easy enough to transport and set up by ourselves in the field. This is what we came up with. This drum will hold #650lbs of feed (13 sacks) and I have a larger, and smaller size available as well. The ladder can be removed when not filling. Needless to say we were happy with the results and his entrepreneurial spirit kicked in, and now weíre interested in what others think? What would one expect to pay for this? We are not selling these, and may never, but depending on the feedback here and elsewhere may help us decide where it goes from here.
elkaholic9292 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
freerhunter
Four Point

I think they look good and like how much they hold!
freerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
flinger
Ten Point

I like them.
flinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I know that container and style of feeder has been on TBH for awhile.....moreso back in the 200Xs. Casey used to own one and maybe still does. I seem to remember him posting a picture of it recently. I remember seeing them in the Big *** Feeder Club, TBH used to have.

Anyway...seems to be a nice feeder. The plastic aspect would concern me with our squirrels and coons....but ifr they can beat that they should be long lasting.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Looks real good
Plastic tends to crack and warp with long exposures to the elements. Might add thin plate to bottom for motor attachment ( just for durability ) but I'd imagine a lot of folks would pay significant money for them
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I like them.
Can’t tell what the lid is like, but if the ladder is removeable I like it
Simple pvc keeps squirrels and coons away then.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I know that container and style of feeder has been on TBH for awhile.....moreso back in the 200Xs. Casey used to own one and maybe still does. I seem to remember him posting a picture of it recently. I remember seeing them in the Big *** Feeder Club, TBH used to have.

Anyway...seems to be a nice feeder. The plastic aspect would concern me with our squirrels and coons....but ifr they can beat that they should be long lasting.
I hadnít seen another made with these. And the squirrels were my concern too, until he showed me a crude version using the same type drum for 10 years in East Texas without damage. Possible, yes...but the plastic is heavy duty...designed to secure a leaking 55gallon drum securely for disposal.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Very creative, but would not be a feeder I would buy. I’m not a fan of the lid and don’t like climbing ladders to fill feeders anymore. You still have way more talent than me at building feeders though.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Here you go Elkaholic. Yours rack is definitely more detail and user friendly.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ig+feeder+club

Even the Big Feeder Club used one in its logo.

Name:  bigfeeder.gif
Views: 757
Size:  14.0 KB
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

If i ever used plastic this would def be an option I’d look into
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Iím not a fan of ladders. For me, it doesnít get much easier than a 600 lb All Seasons stand and fill. I can move one and fill it by myself...and not have to carry a dozen corn sacks up a ladder.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Plastic gets chewed as pointed out. Also I'm just no longer a fan of a feeder I have to climb a ladder to fill. Too dangerous and unnecessary with the quality stand and fills available.
The majority of those you slide out of the truck bed, drag into place and fill n go.

I'm sure that they will work. The three legs plus ladder will help it be solid.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Quote:

Attachment 900456
News to me, what exactly is the Big Feeder Club? Though I wish I were the only person smart enough to use overpacks as feeder drums, I may be the first to have access to the factory and a fab shop.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
News to me, what exactly is the Big Feeder Club? Though I wish I were the only person smart enough to use overpacks as feeder drums, I may be the first to have access to the factory and a fab shop.
It was just a TBH group of folks that had big feeders. Nothing really organized. If you got a big feeder folks said "welcome to the big feeder club". It went by the wayside like most unique things on TBH when they run their course. .

Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Quote:
It was just a TBH group of folks that had big feeders. Nothing really organized. If you got a big feeder folks said "welcome to the big feeder club". It went by the wayside like most unique things on TBH when they run their course. .
Ah...thanks for clarifying. Iíve seen some good ones come and go, but missed that one. This may be a chance for everyone to join. Also, we built a stand and fill model, I donít have a pic on my phone, will post later.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
Ah...thanks for clarifying. Iíve seen some good ones come and go, but missed that one. This may be a chance for everyone to join. Also, we built a stand and fill model, I donít have a pic on my phone, will post later.
I bet your stand & fill would get more attention. Post a pic!!!
BolilloLoco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #17
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Shorten the legs to make a stand and fill and would be much better off. Reduces cost of the ladder portion and is more user friendly...
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #18
Walker
Ten Point

I built a feeder from an overpac.drum several years ago. In 2 years.rats at a hole in the edge. And for some reason that I dont know of, the corn mildewed bad.

Last edited by Walker; 03-14-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #19
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Great idea..Shorten the legs, hole in the bottom of legs to anchor down instead of using tposts, good reliable strong motor and a cage.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #20
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

The plastic makes me weary as the weather and animals can be tough on a feeder. Also aoudad and elk would have a field day with a feeder they could push over. Looks nice just wouldn’t work for me personally.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Plastic can be a problem had a Coon nest in one on top of corn..Squir in one...But overall I still got some that survived for years...So I never gave up on them ..locate so squir can't get to (jump)and Climb proof legs for (squir,coon/rat) I like the Design of whole Feeder and container is set in making it not so top heavy...thx
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #23
txhunter-1
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I made a unit from an heavy duty plastic oversized crash cushion container used on roadways. It held 800 #, although I never topped it off. My biggest issue was mildew. With larger amounts of corn, it would also be prone to weevils. I decided to discard the larger unit and go back to a metal 55. It is not that often or much of a chore to fill feeders and make certain I have fresh corn. We have also had squirrels destroy the standard plastic feeders, they are relentless!
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Squirrels in E. Texas would have a hole chewed into the lid within a matter of weeks, if not days. If you had a large metal slip-over lid, it would be much better for E. Texas. Plus, if you would make a small porch to stand on when filling, it would be much more user friendly.

Doug
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Casey
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:

Attachment 900456

I was searching for some pics. Thanks for posting up, Jason.

I want to say I built mine in about 2002. It sat in the sun in La Salle County for 9 years. It was moved to Coryell County where there is no limit to the number squirrels and coons that could destroy it. It has no holes, no issues, is still good and tight and working like a champ. Maybe I've been lucky, or the design is right that the critters just can't access, but it's been a great feeder for over 15 years.

With that said I'm all about the stand and fills these days. I bet you could easily use these for that if you did it right.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfinger View Post
Squirrels in E. Texas would have a hole chewed into the lid within a matter of weeks, if not days. If you had a large metal slip-over lid, it would be much better for E. Texas. Plus, if you would make a small porch to stand on when filling, it would be much more user friendly.

Doug
I hear the squirrel argument loud and clear, and all I can say is they havenít yet, and some have been in the field (east tx) for years. I did talk to one guy who said he had one they had started working on after a few years and he used JB Weld to fill it in, and got several more years out of it. We may have a solution here as well. As a hunter, I know how frustrating it can be when equipment fails, and we may be looking for a unicorn...where cost meets manageable weight, meets increased capacity, meets sufficient durability. All of the feedback is welcome. Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #27
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I was searching for some pics. Thanks for posting up, Jason.

I want to say I built mine in about 2002. It sat in the sun in La Salle County for 9 years. It was moved to Coryell County where there is no limit to the number squirrels and coons that could destroy it. It has no holes, no issues, is still good and tight and working like a champ. Maybe I've been lucky, or the design is right that the critters just can't access, but it's been a great feeder for over 15 years.

With that said I'm all about the stand and fills these days. I bet you could easily use these for that if you did it right.
The barrels arenít your average 55gallon plastic drum. Theyíre designed to handle spilled pollutants on ships and barges. Theyíre exposed to the elements for years at a time before used.