Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
RyHolub
Four Point

Hunt In: Sonora & Rutersville
Default cummins

any one have one of the new 2017/18 Ram 2500 mega cab Cummins? Pros/cons? any problems??
Thanks!
RyHolub is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default cummins

I donít have one that new but I do have a 2012. 110k miles so far and no issues at all. I just deleted and anticipate even less potential problems.

The most problematic things typically seem to be the emissions system which is only warrantied for 80k miles. The 68RFE transmission can be problematic if abused.

The Cummins seems to get the best fuel mileage of the 3 from what Iíve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
RyHolub
Four Point

well we have a 2015 Chevrolet dually that i use for heavy towing but just looking for something that we will use as more of a travel truck with lots of room that will be used for towing a bumper pull every once in a while maybe. So with just daily driving, I dont think that I will really need to worry about the 68RFE as I wouldn't intend to abuse it since I have a haul truck.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

I have a 17 with 33k on it no issues traded a 15 with 85k on it with no issues
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Lots of opinions on this. If I was going to buy a “cruiser” diesel, I’m not sure I would buy the ram. They aren’t the best riding trucks out there. But, they do ride good on smooth highway.

I have a 16 with zero issues so far.

68rfe can haul well, it’s the guys who put 200hp tunes and romp their trucks everywhere that break them. They are for sure the weakest transmission of the big 3
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

I have a ‘13 mega cab and the truck has been bulletproof thru the first 130k miles. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one to anybody.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
91cavgt
Ten Point

I used to own a Mega Cab and I miss the extra room compared to the crew cab. On paper, there is only an inch of leg room difference(the Mega cab at a little over 40” and the crew cab at 39”). However, the back seats recline on the Mega cab and you have a lot of storage room behind the back seats too. My next truck will be a Mega cab.

On the new diesels I can’t say anything about that but would like to read what people have to say.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
Bumpy
Ten Point

Great trucks I had a 2015 Ram 2500. The only issues was of course the emissions stuff. Whatever you buy delete that crap and you'll have a really great truck. The emissions is the only issue you'll have on all auto makers.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Buy a Ford.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #10
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Lots of opinions on this. If I was going to buy a ďcruiserĒ diesel, Iím not sure I would buy the ram. They arenít the best riding trucks out there. But, they do ride good on smooth highway.

I have a 16 with zero issues so far.

68rfe can haul well, itís the guys who put 200hp tunes and romp their trucks everywhere that break them. They are for sure the weakest transmission of the big 3
Will mostly be highway. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #11
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
Great trucks I had a 2015 Ram 2500. The only issues was of course the emissions stuff. Whatever you buy delete that crap and you'll have a really great truck. The emissions is the only issue you'll have on all auto makers.
Definitely, I deleted my 15 Duramax around 88k miles and would do the same with this one.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
Buy a Ford.
Had a 2012 Ford and while I liked it, I didn't at the same time. The seats were comfortable but not for long trips to me. It also didn't seem to have a ton of leg room in the front seat and felt kinda cramped (chevy has a good amount). Also don't like the cheap plastic interior and the price for those new bad boys! But I will say it was a good truck!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyHolub View Post
Had a 2012 Ford and while I liked it, I didn't at the same time. The seats were comfortable but not for long trips to me. It also didn't seem to have a ton of leg room in the front seat and felt kinda cramped (chevy has a good amount). Also don't like the cheap plastic interior and the price for those new bad boys! But I will say it was a good truck!
The 17+ is a HUGE upgrade to the 11-16í models. Tons of legroom, and MUCH better riding.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
The 17+ is a HUGE upgrade to the 11-16í models. Tons of legroom, and MUCH better riding.
Do you have a 17??
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Yes. As of next month I’ll have had it a year. Just deleted it, and it’s a beast. Tons of interior room, and very comfortable on long rides. Ive done a few 2k mile road trips, and one 4500 mile trip in it so far. In a few months I’ll do a 6k trip to Canada, and all over the Rockies and back.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Don't know about the new ones, but I've got a 2006 Mega Cab Cummins. Tons of room and very comfortable for long trips. I've driven it from Virginia to Texas 13 times, 2 trips VA to Colorado, 1 trip VA to Maine, 1 trip VA to Kansas.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Yes. As of next month Iíll have had it a year. Just deleted it, and itís a beast. Tons of interior room, and very comfortable on long rides. Ive done a few 2k mile road trips, and one 4500 mile trip in it so far. In a few months Iíll do a 6k trip to Canada, and all over the Rockies and back.
Nice!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
RyHolub
Four Point

Bump
Old 03-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #19
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

I don't own one, but every one I pass sounds like it doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way. I had a '16 Cummins that felt like it lacked power too. But my only comparison was my deleted F250.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #20
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I don't own one, but every one I pass sounds like it doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way. I had a '16 Cummins that felt like it lacked power too. But my only comparison was my deleted F250.
I had a stock 12 f-350 that would boogie too. My 15 deleted duramax 3500 drw will also blow the doors off. Never been in or drove a new cummins but looking at them for more of a family vehicle/ commuter as it would put less miles on my haul truck and would get better mpg and be way easier to park. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

This just sounds silly. If you are looking for a stoplight drag racer the Ford and Duramax will be quicker. Hook a load to them and things change quite a bit. TFL truck tests these trucks at their limits, but since the Chevy is rated to tow the least amount of weight they limited them to that. Towing 22k#, 8 miles up a 7% grade, there was ~30 seconds of difference between slowest and fastest time and the Ram wasnít last.

In a recent dyno test, the Ram put more torque to the wheels than anybody even though it lists the least amount of HP/TQ.

The reality is all of them are more capable than most people will ever need. Pick the one that suits your needs and wants and enjoy it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This just sounds silly. If you are looking for a stoplight drag racer the Ford and Duramax will be quicker. Hook a load to them and things change quite a bit. TFL truck tests these trucks at their limits, but since the Chevy is rated to tow the least amount of weight they limited them to that. Towing 22k#, 8 miles up a 7% grade, there was ~30 seconds of difference between slowest and fastest time and the Ram wasnít last.

In a recent dyno test, the Ram put more torque to the wheels than anybody even though it lists the least amount of HP/TQ.

The reality is all of them are more capable than most people will ever need. Pick the one that suits your needs and wants and enjoy it.

You have to remember the Ram is only getting that power in a 3500 truck. The non Aisin equipped trucks (Ram 2500) are limited to 800 lbs of torque. Many people think theyíre 2500 is right there in power with the Ford and Duramax. Itís still plenty of power to do **** near anything you could ever ask of it though.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #23
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
You have to remember the Ram is only getting that power in a 3500 truck. The non Aisin equipped trucks (Ram 2500) are limited to 800 lbs of torque. Many people think theyíre 2500 is right there in power with the Ford and Duramax. Itís still plenty of power to do **** near anything you could ever ask of it though.

You are correct.

I tow my 12K# 5th wheel with my Ram 2500 and so far Iíve not found anywhere that it struggled to hold speed.

I recently deleted and will do my first somewhat long tow this weekend so looking to compare power and mileage to prior to deletes.

No doubt it *could* tow more but at 1600# pin weight, Iím at the limits of listed max payload.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #24
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
You are correct.

I tow my 12K# 5th wheel with my Ram 2500 and so far Iíve not found anywhere that it struggled to hold speed.

I recently deleted and will do my first somewhat long tow this weekend so looking to compare power and mileage to prior to deletes.

No doubt it *could* tow more but at 1600# pin weight, Iím at the limits of listed max payload.

Let me know what kind of mileage youíre getting with that setup deleted. Both towing that load, and empty. I just deleted my F-350, but havenít put on enough miles to figure out how much it helps.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
Gilly
Nubbin' Buck

My FIL has a 17' Ram 3500 fully loaded (dont remember the exact model). It's a nice truck and will tow anything but if your going to use it as a cruiser this would not be my first pick. The thing rides pretty rough to be honest but I've never been in a 3500 Ford/Chevy to compare it too. All I can compare it to is my F150 which would be oranges to apples at this point. But he has owned quite a few diesels (a couple Dodges and a Ford) and has made the comment that it rides rough and was thinking about going back to a 1/2 ton for daily driving.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default cummins

Quote:
Let me know what kind of mileage youíre getting with that setup deleted. Both towing that load, and empty. I just deleted my F-350, but havenít put on enough miles to figure out how much it helps.

My first tank after deletes and tunes yielded 600 miles whereas previous to deletes I averaged 460-480 miles. That was on the 60HP setting. This was in mixed driving and a little playing. Iím currently running on the 100hp setting for comparison.

Iíll likely turn it back down to the 60HP setting while towing this weekend.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #27
RyHolub
Four Point

Thanks for all info And input!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 AM   #28
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Quote:
This just sounds silly. If you are looking for a stoplight drag racer the Ford and Duramax will be quicker. Hook a load to them and things change quite a bit. TFL truck tests these trucks at their limits, but since the Chevy is rated to tow the least amount of weight they limited them to that. Towing 22k#, 8 miles up a 7% grade, there was ~30 seconds of difference between slowest and fastest time and the Ram wasn’t last.

I know 2 guys I work with both have 2015 Duramax’s. They’re both slow as balls and lack power when it comes to unloaded driving. My stock ram 2500 wouldblow the doors of their stock Duramax.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #29
91cavgt
Ten Point

A coworker of mine has leased a 1 ton truck from each of the big 3 over the last few years. This is what they had to say about each;

Ford: super stiff suspension while not towing, the stiffest out of all 3. Don’t drive down a dirt road with an open top drink cause it will splash out.

Chevy: the best riding truck and nice interior but seemed to be the slowest when hitched up to their normal livestock trailer full of cattle.

Dodge: awesome power, it’s too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine/transmission.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
I know 2 guys I work with both have 2015 Duramaxís. Theyíre both slow as balls and lack power when it comes to unloaded driving. My stock ram 2500 wouldblow the doors of their stock Duramax.
Interesting...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #31
RyHolub
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
A coworker of mine has leased a 1 ton truck from each of the big 3 over the last few years. This is what they had to say about each;

Ford: super stiff suspension while not towing, the stiffest out of all 3. Donít drive down a dirt road with an open top drink cause it will splash out.

Chevy: the best riding truck and nice interior but seemed to be the slowest when hitched up to their normal livestock trailer full of cattle.

Dodge: awesome power, itís too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine/transmission.
Dang, stock Duramax , friend pulls 16-18k lbs and they say they climb. Mine is deleted and tuned and I pull a 40ft 16k lb fifth wheel that runs with it. But I guess it al depends on our perceptions and opinions.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know 2 guys I work with both have 2015 Duramaxís. Theyíre both slow as balls and lack power when it comes to unloaded driving. My stock ram 2500 wouldblow the doors of their stock Duramax.

Then something is wrong with them. A Cummins will not win a drag race with a Duramax if both are stock.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #33
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Then something is wrong with them. A Cummins will not win a drag race with a Duramax if both are stock.

Agreed. Not going to happen.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #34
justin81
Eight Point

Hunt In: Del Valle TX

i have a 2017 ram 2500 I bought last summer. love it. not a single issue. I put about 30k miles on it so far. it's a beast. Rides great with the new rear suspension.

had a 2016 F250 for work for a while, that is the roughest riding truck i've ever been in. It will rattle the teeth out of your skull.

no experience with the chevy but everyone i know who has had one traded it for a ram. the cummins is a towing machine

Last edited by justin81; 03-18-2018 at 10:38 PM.
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

I towed my 5th wheel camper (12k#) this weekend from Weatherford to Lake Whitney and back last weekend through Cleburne. I actually tried it on the 100hp setting. I have both pre turbo and post turbo EGT gauges and my temp never got to 1200į even on the hills. It tows like a beast now. It lopes along at 1650-1700 rpms at 70mph and never even breaks a sweat. I had plenty of power on tap any time I wanted it.

I normally average 9.5mpg pre delete pulling it and this trip yielded 12.2 mpg.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #36
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
I towed my 5th wheel camper (12k#) this weekend from Weatherford to Lake Whitney and back last weekend through Cleburne. I actually tried it on the 100hp setting. I have both pre turbo and post turbo EGT gauges and my temp never got to 1200į even on the hills. It tows like a beast now. It lopes along at 1650-1700 rpms at 70mph and never even breaks a sweat. I had plenty of power on tap any time I wanted it.

I wonít hook the big trailer on for another couple of weeks, but I did put some highway miles on it this week. About 600 miles over 2 days. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg running 75-77 onnthe highway for the most part, then 15.1 on the last stretch home into a nasty headwind. Thatís pretty good for running 37Ē tires in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #37
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Quote:

My comment about lots of noise and lack of acceleration was directed more at the dodge guy with a loaded down trailer that pulls in front of traffic going much faster than him. You can hear he pinned it, but it takes the truck forever to get up to speed, and that much faster traffic catches up quickly and then hes blocking the passing lane.

I have done the same thing in my Ford pulling a 26' enclosed trailer, and can be up and going 80 and the traffic never catches up. Again, my Ford was deleted, but the throttle response out of even a stock Ford is awesome compared to the other two.

So the time it takes to go from 45-65 is lacking in a Dodge is what I am getting at.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #38
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

Pretty impressive. You on stock rubber?
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #39
TKWeld
Four Point

Good Golly we knew what was going to fly when this was opened up
TKWeld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #40
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

Dodge: awesome power, itís too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #41
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
My comment about lots of noise and lack of acceleration was directed more at the dodge guy with a loaded down trailer that pulls in front of traffic going much faster than him. You can hear he pinned it, but it takes the truck forever to get up to speed, and that much faster traffic catches up quickly and then hes blocking the passing lane.

I have done the same thing in my Ford pulling a 26' enclosed trailer, and can be up and going 80 and the traffic never catches up. Again, my Ford was deleted, but the throttle response out of even a stock Ford is awesome compared to the other two.

So the time it takes to go from 45-65 is lacking in a Dodge is what I am getting at.

If the Dodges are straight piped they do make a lot of noise whether they are pinning it or not.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #42
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Pretty impressive. You on stock rubber?

Almost. 285/70/17 vs 265/70/17 when stock.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #43
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post

Guess Iíve been lucky. Mineís a 2012 and is holding up just fine.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #44
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default cummins

Quote:
I wonít hook the big trailer on for another couple of weeks, but I did put some highway miles on it this week. About 600 miles over 2 days. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg running 75-77 onnthe highway for the most part, then 15.1 on the last stretch home into a nasty headwind. Thatís pretty good for running 37Ē tires in my opinion.

This is what the lie o meter is currently showing unloaded around DFW. 75% cruising 72-75mph and the rest in slow to stop & go traffic. Looking forward to seeing if I really get 700+ miles from a tank. 200+ miles on just under 1/4 tanks looks promising though. Running on the 135hp setting currently.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #45
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Something else silly....comparing a deleted truck to one that ain't.

Of the 4 I had the only one I wish I still had is the cummins. The durajap ran like a scalded ape but wasn't as comfortable as the dodge to me. Might have been due to short bed Chevy and long bed dodges.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #46
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Calhoun County

Tagged

I have a Ď15 Ram 2500 with 53k and have been very happy with its performance overall. At 100k it will get deleted and it does get old running 75mph down the highway in 5th to burn out some of the emissions crud built up once a month or so. I do look forward to the deletion though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #47
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

I have really liked my 15 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. The ride is nice loaded or unloaded. I've ridden in and driven a friend's SRW F350, and I'll echo what others have said. That suspension is very, very stiff. It will bounce you around a lot. For a daily driver without a load I wouldn't want it.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #48
Dustinb09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Quote:

Ford: super stiff suspension while not towing, the stiffest out of all 3. Donít drive down a dirt road with an open top drink cause it will splash out.

Dodge: awesome power, itís too bad the rest of the truck is not as top notch as the engine/transmission.
I had a 2015 duramax dually and hated it. Don't get me wrong it was the best riding truck I've ever owned, but when hooked up to my stock trailer loaded down with cows it was weak.
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #49
TX03RUBI
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
I have really liked my 15 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. The ride is nice loaded or unloaded. I've ridden in and driven a friend's SRW F350, and I'll echo what others have said. That suspension is very, very stiff. It will bounce you around a lot. For a daily driver without a load I wouldn't want it.

LWD
Was his a 17+ Truck? The new generation rides MUCH MUCH better than the 11-16í. It outrider any of the 11-14í Model Rams with Cummins and Hemis that I had by miles, and those were all 2500s.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #50
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Quote:

Maybe there is. Both of them need about half a mile to negotiate a pass on the highway it seems. I know my cummins will boogie around people at 65-70.