Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #51
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I love watching Baldrick suck badly.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #52
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Jordan may never be the same after the Masters as Tiger was was never the same after the divorce.
bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #53
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #54
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

He made golf popular again. I dont see new fans running out to pick up game because of Rory, Spieth and Bubba........its just what he did for the game. Period. .......Heck he brought more minorities to game . He made game the game reachable for more people than just country club members.

Last edited by Marco; 02-15-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #55
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.
Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #56
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Tiger Woods transcended the game golf like no other in recent times just like Nicklaus and Arnie did in their prime. I bet I haven't watched a golf tournament in years but when Tiger was dominating I rarely missed when he was playing.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #57
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

tiger won with dominance, conviction, swag, charisma, fear, confidence....it is something we will never see again in golf period. If tiger had today's equipment with his body from 1999-2005 he would've won 50 times in that period, his swing/short game was flawless
Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #58
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts
His golf game didn't go down hill because of his injuries...his game went to crap once he wife found out about all of the ladies he was sleeping with.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #59
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased
Taylormade and all of the other manufacturers set the prices...not the retailers.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #60
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.
Read the article
Participation, and viewership are both up.

As for whether or not i like tiger.....i did, i give him credit for what golf has become. What i dont like is watching an event and all the talk on the broadcast is about a man who has not been relevant on the course in 3 years.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #61
Breezy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio, San Patricio counties and viva mexico !

started watching golf cause of him and stopped once he stopped winning. so yes I would love for him to get back to winning.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #62
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
tiger won with dominance, conviction, swag, charisma, fear, confidence....it is something we will never see again in golf period. If tiger had today's equipment with his body from 1999-2005 he would've won 50 times in that period, his swing/short game was flawless
You have obviously fallen for the "our equipment will improve your game" pitch.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #63
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

As a golf course superintendent, I can assure you more rounds were played by hacks at public courses when Tiger was dominating. Since hes been gone numbers are down at most courses.
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #64
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
His golf game didn't go down hill because of his injuries...his game went to crap once he wife found out about all of the ladies he was sleeping with.
nope, just because you worked at academy sports in the golf section doesn't mean you worked for Taylormade

all drivers today are similar priced Taylormade is a superior driver compared to other brands, so they will be priced higher, again that's the stores fault for over stocking
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #65
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Rack to answer your question without all of the rhetoric, no I don't care.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #66
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
You have obviously fallen for the "our equipment will improve your game" pitch.
never have, been playing for 30 years, although it will improve sharpness if you equip yourself correctly
Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #67
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:

I said Jordan may never be the same after the masters and I'm a big fan of his. I'm also a big Tiger fan and always have been. He was much like Tyson to me. Loved boxing while he was in and could care less since he was out. If you don't think his divorce and disgrace didn't have a lot to do with his decline then you may want to reevaluate your golf knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #68
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
never have, been playing for 30 years, although it will improve sharpness if you equip yourself correctly
"If Tiger had today's equipment......" Contradict yourself much?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #69
Chad C
Pope & Young

Jordan is fun to watch, we can move on!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #70
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
nope, just because you worked at academy sports in the golf section doesn't mean you worked for Taylormade

all drivers today are similar priced Taylormade is a superior driver compared to other brands, so they will be priced higher, again that's the stores fault for over stocking
I'm glad you know it all. I have actually never worked for academy...but I have worked on 3 different sides of the golf industry. Retail (PGATSS), Green Grass (Private Club), and on the manufacturing side (TaylorMade).....I worked for TaylorMade. Yes, some stores do buy way too much of certain clubs, but that is not the deciding factor of price. There is a minimum price that every retailer has to sell it for. Most will sell it at the lowest price they can because they are competing with lots of other retailers and golf courses.

Example...Titleist has a minimum of what you can sell their Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls at...if you go below that price, they can and will take away your privilege to buy and sell their products. Ask me how I know!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #71
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
"If Tiger had today's equipment......" Contradict yourself much?

He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more

Old 02-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #72
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more

He was doing that because of his talent, not his equipment.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #73
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

I cannot stand bandwagon types. I bet many of y'all (that watch and play golf) enjoyed every single edge-of-your-seat moment Tiger gave us. You cheered in amazement and at that time, you understood the magnitude of what you were watching on live TV. Now, you're done with him? Why? What did he do to you? I hope my friends don't bail on me like the way some of y'all have sailed Tiger down the river. I don't know the guy and never will. He owes me nothing and vise versa but I know greatness when I see it and he personified it on the course for years. I enjoyed it all and that's what it's worth to me.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #74
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
I said Jordan may never be the same after the masters and I'm a big fan of his. I'm also a big Tiger fan and always have been. He was much like Tyson to me. Loved boxing while he was in and could care less since he was out. If you don't think his divorce and disgrace didn't have a lot to do with his decline then you may want to reevaluate your golf knowledge.

Tell me again how his divorce effected anything in his golf game?

He's missed years of playing time because of all of these injuries, it might've effected him a little but take away 50% of these injuries and it's still more than most professional golfers will ever have

Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #75
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
I cannot stand bandwagon types. I bet many of y'all (that watch and play golf) enjoyed every single edge-of-your-seat moment Tiger gave us. You cheered in amazement and at that time, you understood the magnitude of what you were watching on live TV. Now, you're done with him? Why? What did he do to you? I hope my friends don't bail on me like the way some of y'all have sailed Tiger down the river. I don't know the guy and never will. He owes me nothing and vise versa but I know greatness when I see it and he personified it on the course for years. I enjoyed it all and that's what it's worth to me.
He stole my girlfriend!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #76
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

He never came close to averaging 350 yards...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #77
CaptainDave
Ten Point

No question, Tiger transcended the game of golf during his prime. Does golf need him back? Perhaps and it would no question give provide a nice up-tick in ratings for the short-term. The problem is, if Tiger came back and missed the cut or was never really in the mix in most tournaments, ratings would eventually fall. History points to golf and even tennis to an extent to have some their highest ratings during times of dominance by single or very few players.

With that said, it's simply convenient to blame all of the current golfing industry struggles on the lack of Tiger Woods. Sure, Nike will no longer be making clubs and balls. Well, fact of the matter is, Nike clubs never really did take off, even while Tiger was playing. They entered a market that was already saturated with many name brands that have been around for a very long time. Tiger Woods or not, Nike was never going to overtake Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Calloway, etc in the club business.

As for lack of youth involvement. What about the lack of access? Heck, in my area in Houston, I'd say there have been more Public golf courses closed in the last decade than new courses opened. Most of these closures were due to selling out real estate for other residential uses. The game is expensive to play as well. I was afforded access to golf at an early age as we lived very close to a cheap, 9 hole municipal course.

Oh well, golf will survive one way or another. Like any other sport, there are ups and downs.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #78
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
He was doing that because of his talent, not his equipment.

No ****

Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #79
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
He never came close to averaging 350 yards...

Go back and watch his rounds, he was driving the golf ball close to 350, that low stinger would roll

Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #80
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

Tell me again how his divorce effected anything in his golf game?

He's missed years of playing time because of all of these injuries, it might've effected him a little but take away 50% of these injuries and it's still more than most professional golfers will ever have

It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #81
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Golf is more fun to watch when Tiger is in the mix
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #82
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Go back and watch his rounds, he was driving the golf ball close to 350, that low stinger would roll

Look at the stats man...his best average driving distance was 303 yards. Did he hit some 350 yards bombers, yes. Shoot he hit one in Hawaii that was like 425 yards or something crazy, but to say he always hit it 350 yards is ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #83
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.

Not being able to play, that's what disrupts sharpness and mental focus, sure it effected him a lil bit but his injuries effected with his mental game more than anything, you lose a lot of feel

Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #84
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Two weeks ago the Waste Management Open in Phoenix set an all time 1 day attendance record of 204,000 with an estimated 700,000 total attendance for the event. Without Tiger...
I understand what Tiger did for the game but let's give him a spot next to Faldo in the booth.
And BTW, Jordon just won his 9th last weekend at 23 years of age. Guess how old Tiger was when he did it? That's right 23. Jordon also has 2 Majors to his credit so I don't think its safe to say Jordon can't match or beat Tigers records. I think it is safe to say Jordon will not change the game the way Tiger did. Tiger was something special, and African American to boot. They are two different personalities and players on the course. I don't think Jordon will ever have to be told to stop screaming the Lord's name in vein every time he misses a put.

One thing for sure, Jack's records are safe as far as Tiger is concerned...
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #85
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Look at the stats man...his best average driving distance was 303 yards. Did he hit some 350 yards bombers, yes. Shoot he hit one in Hawaii that was like 425 yards or something crazy, but to say he always hit it 350 yards is ridiculous.
did I say he hit the golf ball 350 continuously? no I didn't, but he would roll one out 350 almost every tournament, quit reaching
Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #86
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not being able to play, that's what disrupts sharpness and mental focus, sure it effected him a lil bit but his injuries effected with his mental game more than anything, you lose a lot of feel

The guy has a 9 hole course in his back yard. Do you really think when he had these injuries that he just sat back and had surgery, went to therapy, and didn't touch a club?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #87
LWC
Ten Point

Tiger was the man. He intimidated his opponents into submission. He was a freaking machine that could make any clutch putt, chip in on you, knock it stiff from the woods. It was truly amazing. I'm not sure there has been a more dominate figure in sports in my lifetime. MJ is close. Maybe Tyson before he got into raping?

Then that faithful night his hot wife found out he was tagging all the waffle house waitresses and hit him in the head with a nine iron. That was it. She tore off his cape and he was never the same. Not even close. Everyone, including himself found out that he was not super human.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #88
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
did I say he hit the golf ball 350 continuously? no I didn't, but he would roll one out 350 almost every tournament, quit reaching
I'm reaching? Okay. Show me the stats where "almost" every tournament he rolled one out to 350 yards.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #89
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
The guy has a 9 hole course in his back yard. Do you really think when he had these injuries that he just sat back and had surgery, went to therapy, and didn't touch a club?

Well I guess you've never played competitive golf, I played on the NTPGA for 3 years, it doesn't matter how much you practice, playing in competitive golf is different animal compared to tournament play. It's a different tone, lack of tournament play is clearing showing its side now for tiger , you forget out to grind and score.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #90
KLWoodall
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill, Navarro, Panola

In his prime, Nobody beat Tiger and Nike Golf, except his wive, however, with a Nike.
KLWoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #91
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm reaching? Okay. Show me the stats where "almost" every tournament he rolled one out to 350 yards.

Next time you see golfs greatest rounds on the golf Channel and tiger is playing farm and it's from 2000-2006 you'll see it. I wouldn't just say that without proof.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #92
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well I guess you've never played competitive golf, I played on the NTPGA for 3 years, it doesn't matter how much you practice, playing in competitive golf is different animal compared to tournament play. It's a different tone, lack of tournament play is clearing showing its side now for tiger , you forget out to grind and score.

That's great you played on the NTPGA...and yes I have played lots of competitive golf in the past. I agree being out of the competition type of play can hurt how you finish. It's all mental. BUT...the metal game for Tiger went down hill after his lady found out about all of the other ladies.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #93
NoFence
Eight Point

Here's something we can all agree on. That 7 iron she hit him with has got to be worth a lot of money.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #94
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

I would like to see him competitive again, and so would the PGA.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #95
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Next time you see golfs greatest rounds on the golf Channel and tiger is playing farm and it's from 2000-2006 you'll see it. I wouldn't just say that without proof.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #96
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Here's something we can all agree on. That 7 iron she hit him with has got to be worth a lot of money.
I thought it was a 9 iron

Kidding. I don't know what she smashed that window out with, but I bet it's worth a ton!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #97
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Does this mean that my courses will have more available tee times??? Thank Gawd!! because it's exhausting... I can't wait for this golf popularity to decrease!!

I love Tiger and I hope he can somehow be competitive again
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #98
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLWoodall View Post
In his prime, Nobody beat Tiger and Nike Golf, except his wive, however, with a Nike.
That right there is irony
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #99
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
That's great you played on the NTPGA...and yes I have played lots of competitive golf in the past. I agree being out of the competition type of play can hurt how you finish. It's all mental. BUT...the metal game for Tiger went down hill after his lady found out about all of the other ladies.
lol I guess we will agree to disagree, the man had major surgeries on bones and tissue that is very sensitive to golfers, those bone's/joints/tissues have deteriorated....doesn't matter what shape he's in, his body won't allow him to play professional golf much longer.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #100
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Tiger Woods distance varies from club to club. According to Golf Digest, Tiger hits the driver an average of 285 yards with carry. His long irons (2- to 4-iron) range from 250 to 200 yards. His middle irons (5, 6, 7) range from 208 to 172 yards. His 8-iron travels 158 yards, and 9-iron flies 142.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top