Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default NCAA tournament question

Shouldnít the play in games be for 16 seed spots, not 11 seed like the UCLA/St Bonaventure game?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
mikemorvan
Pope & Young
 
mikemorvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Haltom City
Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default

Why are you trying to make sense?
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

If you're having to participate in a play-in game for a 64 team tourney, you should be the 64th overall seed....a 16 in the region with the top 1 seed. My opinion.

Kinda like the NIT tournament. I mean if you win it, you're like #65 because you didn't make the dance.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
neskora
Ten Point
 
neskora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hallettsville/Houston
Hunt In: Sublime, TX
Default

For the team playing the play-in game - yes. But, for the team that earned that #1 seed, no. If you were Kansas, who would you rather play - Penn or UCLA/Syracuse? Having watched 0 games for any of those teams this year, I have no doubt that the correct answer is Penn.
neskora is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskora View Post
For the team playing the play-in game - yes. But, for the team that earned that #1 seed, no. If you were Kansas, who would you rather play - Penn or UCLA/Syracuse? Having watched 0 games for any of those teams this year, I have no doubt that the correct answer is Penn.
I just think the whole play-in process is as stupid as hell. Have your 32 conference winners then pick the next 32 best teams in the country. You know, the way it was done for years?
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
neskora
Ten Point
 
neskora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hallettsville/Houston
Hunt In: Sublime, TX
Default NCAA tournament question

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I just think the whole play-in process is as stupid as hell. Have your 32 conference winners then pick the next 32 best teams in the country. You know, the way it was done for years?


Iím just not sure the NCAA could support itself without the revenue from those extra games......

At the end of the day itís all about money. Common sense need not apply.

Edit: Which is to say, I agree with you.
neskora is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
mikemorvan
Pope & Young
 
mikemorvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Haltom City
Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskora View Post
Iím just not sure the NCAA could support itself without the revenue from those extra games......

At the end of the day itís all about money. Common sense need not apply.
I'm assuming there's some sarcasm in there. Like the NCAA needs more money.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskora View Post
Iím just not sure the NCAA could support itself without the revenue from those extra games......

At the end of the day itís all about money. Common sense need not apply.

Edit: Which is to say, I agree with you.
The NCAA made 995 million dollars in 2016, I donít think a significant % was from a handful of playoff games most donít care to watch
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
neskora
Ten Point
 
neskora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hallettsville/Houston
Hunt In: Sublime, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
The NCAA made 995 million dollars in 2016, I donít think a significant % was from a handful of playoff games most donít care to watch


Whatís your opinion on their reasoning for doing it? I agree that those games arenít significant, but I canít see any other motivation than giving them an additional product to sell two nights earlier.
neskora is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskora View Post
Whatís your opinion on their reasoning for doing it? I agree that those games arenít significant, but I canít see any other motivation than giving them an additional product to sell two nights earlier.
Iím not arguing the Ďwhyí they do it, without a doubt it is ďinventoryĒ to generate revenue. The original question was really rhetorical in nature
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
neskora
Ten Point
 
neskora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hallettsville/Houston
Hunt In: Sublime, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Iím not arguing the Ďwhyí they do it, without a doubt it is ďinventoryĒ to generate revenue. The original question was really rhetorical in nature


neskora is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #12
jonate98
Four Point
 
jonate98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Tyler County
Default

Just a chance for the low hanging fruit to say they made it to the "big dance".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonate98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com