No announcement yet.

New Hog Hunting Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to turn that into a real hot spot get an old piece of carpet, wire it around a tree and soak it with diesel regular.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      If you want to turn that into a real hot spot get an old piece of carpet, wire it around a tree and soak it with diesel regular.

Gary
      I guess they'll rub it? Kinda like how they like creosote poles? I may try that...

Comment

Yeah they will.

Gary

Comment

Constant food = constant pigs
          Just don't over pressure it and they will keep coming back on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
            Constant food = constant pigs
            Just don't over pressure it and they will keep coming back on a regular basis.
            That's what I'm counting on. I have this setup ready for a south wind and another setup for an east/north wind. Everybody else on the lease has pretty much pulled out and won't really be feeding or coming back until mid August or so. It should be pretty good hunting in the spring and summer as long as I keep them fed.

Comment

Pouring out a bag every now and then won't keep them coming back steady. They will eat it all and then come back and check it periodically. I keep my feeders full and they go off twice a day so that no matter when they come by there is always corn on the ground. When I get serious about hunting I'll throw 3-4 times a day. About march thru August I can pretty much kill a hog at will.

Comment

I see pulled pork in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                  Pouring out a bag every now and then won't keep them coming back steady. They will eat it all and then come back and check it periodically. I keep my feeders full and they go off twice a day so that no matter when they come by there is always corn on the ground. When I get serious about hunting I'll throw 3-4 times a day. About march thru August I can pretty much kill a hog at will.
                  My FIL has a feeder about 200 yards up the hill from this spot. It's empty, but I may fill it up and keep it going just to keep them around.

Comment

this reminds me.. I need to set up a couple hog spots! I do wonder how many different groups of hogs are at my place in AR. I was debating on trying to build a couple hog feeders out of barrels that they'll roll and get the corn out periodically, or use some pvc I already have.

I am excited about the possibilities this year! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Danielb89 View Post
                      this reminds me.. I need to set up a couple hog spots! I do wonder how many different groups of hogs are at my place in AR. I was debating on trying to build a couple hog feeders out of barrels that they'll roll and get the corn out periodically, or use some pvc I already have.

I am excited about the possibilities this year! lol
                      The barrels and pvc feeders work pretty well but a good sized herd of hogs can empty one of those out in one or two nights. So I don't know that I'd use one of those if you're not gonna be able to keep it filled often as it needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum Fat View Post
                        The barrels and pvc feeders work pretty well but a good sized herd of hogs can empty one of those out in one or two nights. So I don't know that I'd use one of those if you're not gonna be able to keep it filled often as it needs.

Thanks for the incite! I wont be going up there but every couple of weeks, unless they get very consistent, then i'll be there as much as possible! haha

Comment

Fewer holes means it is harder and takes longer to get all the corn out.

Gary

Comment

I just got back from dumping out a bucket of soured corn and hanging the camera. I'll check it in a week or so and see what's showing up. When I go back I'll get the feeder going too just to keep them around. I took corn for it today, but of course the battery was dead.

Comment

good luck !

Comment

Always take a spare battery.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X