• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeff and Jerry pretty well covered it.

I consider myself fortunate for being able to check that box last year on my very first turkey hunt. I missed my first one high though... and it wasn't even strutting! I got a second chance on another one and drilled it broadside. I was aiming for the hip, straight up the leg... this is where "middle-middle" seems to be okay. But the reference for middle length wise is the legs. Turns out this is where the heart is too. There is a lot of feathers, connective tissue, and bones where I was aiming. I don't think I got two holes either. It flopped for a couple seconds as I hurried to get another arrow nocked. By the time I was nocked, the turkey was dead.

I used my regular arrow and broadhead for deer/hogs/pigs. 540gr arrow with 2 Blade Zwickey - 48# bow.

The only thing I haven' seen mentioned is the use of a string tracker. Jerry and others like them... and then there are others that don't. I liked the idea of having a little bit of insurance... but chose not to fiddle around with additional equipment.

All that is the "easy" part... the hard part is getting those stupid things to get into 12-15 yards. They like to hang up. Or, even better, my favorite was the group of 6 that came running in (all shooters) and made two laps around the feeder and exited beside the blind without making a stop. The only thing that was missing was the circus clowns driving a car music.

Comment

Faced a jake decoy toward me. Tom will often face that jake to challenge him...that way he ain't lookin' toward you when you draw! If they strut up while staring down the jake, choot him in the bullseye! The center of the fan is a pretty spot. Check some of these anatomical pics like the ones above and see if you can find a fanned out one for more clarity. The one I shot took off running and tumped over dead in about 30 yds. Good luck! One of the funnest hunts out there!

Comment

Another fan of Magnus Stingers here. I once shot the head completely off a turkey with one of those heads. The guy I was hunting with was amazed. I had to tell him I had actually made a very bad shot and hitting the turkey in the neck and cutting off the head was completely accidental. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Comment

I can make a suggestion, I remember reading that the best place to shoot the turkey is straight on or straight away as the wide broad head will break the spine and the turkey will not be able to fly away. Just a thought and good luck

Comment

I've been lucky at knocking a few down with each of my bows and plan on trying to get one with my selfbow this season. I've always used my normal deer hunting setup and it seems to work just fine. Like Bisch mentioned, the quills are tough on a broadhead and with trad bows can slow the arrow down a bunch so definitely make sure they are scary sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by Featherflinger View Post
                I use my same setup as everything else. I like shooting them best when they are facing away from me. If they're broadside I shoot halfway up their body in line with where their legs and body meet.

Great info here

Comment

Like most have said, I use my normal hunting gear and head. Just remember turkey are like any other bird. Their vitals lay just under their back so a shot from the back or side requires a lot less penetration than a frontal shot through the breast.

Shot placement and sharpness, as with any game is more important than the brand of broad head.

Comment

Great info and tips, appreciate it, haven't been this excited about hunting in general in awhile

God bless you all folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X