Let's Talk Beavers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Talk Beavers

I hunt in a pine plantation and while I was there fishing last weekend I noticed we have beavers. I've been hunting there for 5 years and have never seen one.

While I don't usually like to kill animals that I won't eat, I know we don't want them on this property and could already see quite a lot of damage around the pond to the pines.

We ended up seeing him while we were fishing and he was a real pretty blonde color so it got me thinking: maybe I'd like to harvest it and get the hide tanned.

What's the best way to get this beaver? Hang out at the pond all day and wait for a shot? Trap it? From what I've read they do most of their work at night?

Any input from the beaver experts is welcome!

A 330 conibear is likely the best option followed by a number 4 or larger steel trap. Always stake well and use drowning cable. A blond beaver tanned and laced on a willow branch circle with leather always looks great. Good luck and any info I could give just ask.

Comment

You aint the only one........
      Attached Files

Comment

I have nothing but beaver threads are always fun.

Comment

That dude must be lost or hungry! I didn't know they'd cut on pine trees.

Conibear trap would work just fine. Find a slide or scent mound and set one out. They're pretty easy to catch from what I've seen.

Comment

We don't have a lot of hardwoods and the ones that we have are pretty large.

He has taken a bite out of almost every pine around the pond and it's about 2 acres.
            Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't mind them too much if they didn't girdle the trees that they can't even handle and kill them. One or two dams in my little creek doesn't bother me much, but if you leave them alone, their gonna multiply. I snared one a few years ago and Glocked another, but I got a fresh one now. I'll eventually have to deal with him......or them !

Comment

I'd suggest night time with headlamp and your bow. Sneak on light him up, shoot. It would be epic. Just sayin.

Comment

Try setting a snare on a slide or I see them a lot about 30 min before dark crossing pond hit him with a rifle and snare him with fishing pole.

Comment

They typically sink when you shoot them! Trapping isn't always easy, but the best option. My .223 doesn't usually phase them unless it's a well placed head shot, which is sometimes difficult because they swim fairly fast. Your best bet is a land shot with a shot gun- buck shot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Find a trail they use at the water's edge and set a 330 conibear on the trail close to the water.Then just put some brush or branches on both sides so they can't go around very easy.
                      I've caught a pile of them this way but I have also shot them with a shotgun at night.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I was leaning towards trapping vs shooting just because of all that can go wrong with shooting one in the water. Plus I've always wanted to try trapping larger animals besides the basic rodents.

He has a very used trail/slide he uses on top of his "hut" (it's not a dam) and I think that would be a good place to start.

Comment

Another thing........ The place I first started hunting them, the guy though he had a problem beaver. Turned out he had a beaver problem! I killed about 10 the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                            They typically sink when you shoot them! Trapping isn't always easy, but the best option. My .223 doesn't usually phase them unless it's a well placed head shot, which is sometimes difficult because they swim fairly fast. Your best bet is a land shot with a shot gun- buck shot.

I've never shot one, but dadgum I'd think a 223 anywhere in the body would be more than sufficient. Are they that tough?

Comment

If you want him gone, then just hang out around the last of light with a rifle and you should be able to take care of him!

On the other hand, you could get a 330 Conibear trap and put it in some of his runs, or call a trapper to do it for your!

Comment

Working...
                              X