Houston local beetle kill pine source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston local beetle kill pine source?

Wanting to put a wood wall in the nursery I'm doing for my soon to be born boy. Anyone know where I could find some beetle kill pine? Thought it may look cool, otherwise I'm going to go with regular old pine and antique it.

Anyone?

Comment

I didn't know people used it for anything, thought it was burnt on site. Good luck, but make sure you spray it down real good with insecticide.

Comment

No help, but my FIL lives in Loveland, CO and has his own mill. He has a guy that brings him lots of beetle kill pine. He make all kinds of stuff out of it. The color on that stuff is awesome. He is making us a huge mantle out of it for over our fireplace.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I just cut down a big pine killed by them, and burned it all in 2 days. Saw mill down the road.

Comment

Not having luck finding any. Wonder if I could find some old shiplap or barn wood or something.

Comment

Have you considered pallet boards? They have some good character. I did a wall in my son's nursery and it turned out really nice. I cut up pallets, sanded them some, and then put a polyacrylic finish to seal them. When I was half way done I found a place in Houston that sells old pallet boards by the box and they were really reasonable. I wish I would have found the place earlier as it would've been a lot easier.

Comment

pallets are sometimes treated with a lot of stuff i wouldn't want near my kid. They also harbor a lot of mold and fungus from sitting in piles out in the rain and crap. I had a buddy that put a wall cladding in his house of pallet wood. They couldn't figure out why their allergies and stuff were getting so bad. It was that wood. They ripped it out and the problem went away. So I am real leery of doing that. I wish I could though... there are probably 50 pallets sitting out by our loading dock right now waiting to get thrown away.

Comment

Find a fence company. They will give you the old fences that they remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                    pallets are sometimes treated with a lot of stuff i wouldn't want near my kid. They also harbor a lot of mold and fungus from sitting in piles out in the rain and crap. I had a buddy that put a wall cladding in his house of pallet wood. They couldn't figure out why their allergies and stuff were getting so bad. It was that wood. They ripped it out and the problem went away. So I am real leery of doing that. I wish I could though... there are probably 50 pallets sitting out by our loading dock right now waiting to get thrown away.
                    If you are in Houston check at Mason's Mill. They probably don't have it, but could point you in the right direction. There is a place in the Heights I can't think of right now that has a lot of rare stuff. I can't remember the name at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                      Very good points- the same cautions go for old barn wood and ship-lap.

Comment

yeah... you are probably right. That being said I called everyone and cant find any beetle kill... so I guess I will buy regular pine and beat the tar out of it so it looks old and then stain it and get that aged look going. That sounds like a lot of work but I dont have an alternative I can think of.

Comment

ok well... i thought about it and decided no dangerous stuff for my baby.... so all new wood and start from scratch. After a bout with the router, lots of paint, stain and elbow grease.... this is what I ended up with.

Also, this is the mural we painted on the wall the other day... my wife drew it up... i just helped to paint it.

I hope this baby appreciates all of this. Hopefully I will be done redoing the dresser this weekend coming up and then I can take it a little easier... I can tell I am getting older. This weekend kicked the crap out of me.

Comment

Working...
                          X