Best spotter under $1k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best spotter under $1k?

Looking for strong magnification, clarity and durability.

Do some research and find a Kowa that meets your budget. Bird watchers swear by them. I still regret selling mine

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      Do some research and find a Kowa that meets your budget. Bird watchers swear by them. I still regret selling mine
      Best spotter I had was Kowa, but I lost it at a match.

Comment

Thats gonna be tough to keep under 1K......

Comment

Check out Athlons line of spotters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a vortex viper, but sold it as it was never used. I probably wouldn’t buy another if I am ever in the market again.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
              I had a vortex viper, but sold it as it was never used. I probably wouldn’t buy another if I am ever in the market again.

You wouldn’t buy another Vortex or another spotter? Why?

Comment

I’ve used a 1st gen Vortex Razor for the last few years and it has held up great. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. This is the only vortex product I have owned but I have had no complaints. 11-33x by 50mm, straight body model.

Comment

Price point of 1k or less ......vortex! Plus the warranty is outta control good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                    Thats gonna be tough to keep under 1K......
                    several listed on Ebay with Flourite lens coating for < $1000

what will be the primary use ... spotting bullet holes at the range, glassing sheep in the mountains, observing game from a hunting stand , etc.. ?

do you want a compact, lightweight spotter or a 80mm lens that mounts to a large tripod ?

straight or angled ?

IMO, if you buy the right spotting scope, it will last a lifetime and you will never have to upgrade or buy another.

With any kind of glass , you get what you pay for. Imported glass (German, Austrian) is far superior to domestic American glass but it comes at a cost

Inferior cheap glass can lead to eye fatigue and headaches. You want the entire field of view to be crystal clear, not fuzzy or hazy around the edges.
                    Last edited by Cajun Blake; 05-18-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I would get a used high end spotter if you’re going to spend max 1k$. The last 2 spotters I’ve owned have been around 2k brand new but picked them up used under 900$ and they still look brand new.

Comment

Leupold gold ring compact spotter.

Depends on if you want full sized or something packable.

Sometimes you can find them right under $1k.

Comment

several listed on Ebay with Flourite lens coating for < $1000

what will be the primary use ... spotting bullet holes at the range, glassing sheep in the mountains, observing game from a hunting stand , etc.. ?

do you want a compact, lightweight spotter or a 80mm lens that mounts to a large tripod ?

straight or angled ?

IMO, if you buy the right spotting scope, it will last a lifetime and you will never have to upgrade or buy another.

With any kind of glass , you get what you pay for. Imported glass (German, Austrian) is far superior to domestic American glass but it comes at a cost

Inferior cheap glass can lead to eye fatigue and headaches. You want the entire field of view to be crystal clear, not fuzzy or hazy around the edges.

Good points. Mostly for paper punching and hunting from a blind/stand. I’d love to do some mountain hunting, but nothing in the near future is planned. As far as straight or angled.....I’m not sold on either one. I’ve read up on the benefits of each, but I’m still undecided.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                            You wouldn’t buy another Vortex or another spotter? Why?

Vortex as I didn’t like the picture quality for my eyes. If I got another I would buy a straight vs angled version.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X