No announcement yet.

Getting a newborn to sleep/burp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of y'all lactate when the baby cries?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      That's why they have mother's.

Do any of y'all lactate when the baby cries?

You sound like a great dad

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        i just rocked mine to sleep. Usually a 5 or 10 lb rock would do the trick.
        lol

Comment

We had trouble getting both my boys sleep at night. What finally worked was (PLEASE DON'T CALL CPS) laying them on their tummy. We bought this fancy monitor that goes under the mattress and monitors their breathing. Gave us some piece of mind. Both boys, instantly fixed it. For my oldest, I also put a couple blocks under the head end of his bed to help with the reflux.

Comment

Both of my children had to be on soy formula. All 4 of my grandchildren also. I also had to have it. Mine was undoubtably reflux, caused by a hiatal hernia. Had reflux all my life, thank god for proton pump inhibitors, unless that is what caused my renal cancer.

All you new parents, good luck, i feel your pain and frustration, hope you get these issues taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              You sound like a great dad
              I am a great Dad not a great mother [emoji23]

Comment

All kidding aside, read Baby Wise. It worked like a charm for our firstborn. It's all about pushing a schedule and NOT feeding the baby to sleep. We have several friends that used this same system and all their kids are great sleepers.

I was home to help with that the first one and able to keep keep mama(mostly) on the schedule. He still sleeps great. My second is 9mo and I've been working on the road since she was born. Mama WOULD NOT keep a schedule with her or do what worked so fantastic with the first one. She hasn't been a good sleeper since she was born. I've been home the last two months and have been able to push a true schedule and she's sleeping better, but still not great.

Comment

Congrats 30-30...I feel for you. Thankfully were beyond that phase but onto the terrible 2s. There are numerous causes and remedies to try...Ill try to be brief.

- sodium bicarbonate (main ingredient in gripe water)
                  - make sure Mom isnt eating alot of spicey foods or tomato sauces or milk...the acidic food will get passed on and cause upset tummies
                  - 5Ss...shush, swaddle, sway...I forget the other Ss....my first had to be rocked and patted and shushed...if I didnt hit all three...I was yelled at.
                  - play a noise machine with a heart beat
                  - sleep without a shirt and him without a onesie and have tummy to tummy warming
                  - His tummy may be flipped...or slightly twisted...2 of ours were...see a chiropractor that will literally untwist a childs stomach...in severe cases it might need to be done several times...for our kiddos only once was necessary.

If I was a betting man...Id wager his tummy is tied up in a knot. See an experienced chiropractor and you will likely see a world of difference in feeding and sleeping.

Good luck and God bless.
                  Byron
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-14-2020, 11:25 AM. Reason: DifferentEatSleepNoOilSpake

Comment

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, folks. We are in close contact with his doctor. He has a cleft palate, which makes feeding interesting... once in a while he gets a gulp of formula up his sinuses and simultaneously sneezes, coughs, and spits up... He’s going to have surgery at 11-12 months.

We are feeding formula, and have switched brands a couple times at the doctor’s suggestion. His bed is propped up with a towel and we try to keep him upright for at least 20 minutes or so after feeding before trying to lay him back down. I have always dealt with reflux, so maybe he’s having issues too.

Thanks again folks.

Comment

I'm no help. Our first child was our daughter, slept all night, not a peep. We thought this is easy, lets go again. Son was next, a nightmare, up all night, lasted until 9 or so months.

Jessica was healthy when born, Clay was in the intensive care ward under lights for a couple of days. That may have been the key, we used Similac.

Comment

Lots of comments about reflux or gastro issues. That could very well be the case. However, my youngest acted similar in the evenings and though the night early on. He had eaten so there was no way he was hungry. Wrong! Turns out he ate at 5 then 6 then 7 then 8 - and you know how long it takes to eat. After we figured out he just wanted more food that time of day he slept though the night almost immediately. The others have a much higher chance of being correct, but you may have already tried them too. This was something that was just "not possible" in our minds and turns out that was the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          Congrats 30-30...I feel for you. Thankfully were beyond that phase but onto the terrible 2s. There are numerous causes and remedies to try...Ill try to be brief.

- sodium bicarbonate (main ingredient in gripe water)
                          - make sure Mom isnt eating alot of spicey foods or tomato sauces or milk...the acidic food will get passed on and cause upset tummies
                          - 5Ss...shush, swaddle, sway...I forget the other Ss....my first had to be rocked and patted and shushed...if I didnt hit all three...I was yelled at.
                          - play a noise machine with a heart beat
                          - sleep without a shirt and him without a onesie and have tummy to tummy warming
                          - His tummy may be flipped...or slightly twisted...2 of ours were...see a chiropractor that will literally untwist a childs stomach...in severe cases it might need to be done several times...for our kiddos only once was necessary.

If I was a betting man...Id wager his tummy is tied up in a knot. See an experienced chiropractor and you will likely see a world of difference in feeding and sleeping.

Good luck and God bless.
                          Byron
                          X2 on the chiro. Our son had what the old folks called “colic” , which just means that the baby is crying and they don’t know what causes it. When our baby was 28 days old we went to the chiro to get adjustments, he asked what was wrong with the boy, we said we don’t know. He picked the boy up turned him upside down, manipulated him a little with his fingers and the crying stopped. It stopped completely until he had a reason to cry. I know a lot of folks won’t believe it, but we lived it, so you believe what you want to. Stresses of childbirth are not just on the mother. Try passing yourself through a tube smaller than you are with no help from your own body.

Comment

I am a great Dad not a great mother [emoji23]

Haha, well played

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Haha, well played
                              All in fun my friend

Comment

We had the same problem with our daughter and she still doesn't sleep through the night at 20 months old, but we did find some success with co-sleeping with a Doc-a-tot between my wife and I. We elevated the head with a towel underneath that helped as well. Good luck. It does get better as they say

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X