No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are deer, just walk around and hunt their trails. Good to hear there are actually people who do the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
      There are deer, just walk around and hunt their trails. Good to hear there are actually people who do the right thing
      Im aware there are deer. I bump them frequently walking to and from my stand. Started trying different routes to avoid that with no luck. Really feeling like i just chose a crappy spot.

Comment

I took a shot at a decent buck this morning, he looked all beat up from the rut. Had a black eye or something going on. He came in and was quartering away, I put the pin behind the rib cage and let it fly. He did I huge mule kick and took off like a bat out of hell. When I went to check my arrow I only got 6 1/2". I feel sick. Anyway, I backed out and going back with my dog, I just have to make sure I didn't get lucky. My dog has found two pigs for me so hopefully this buck is dead and she can help find it. I swear if she tracks this buck I'm taking her to Outback.
        Last edited by BigLig; 12-06-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
          I took a shot at a decent buck this morning, he looked all beat up from the rut. Had a black eye or something going on. He came in and was quartering away, I put the pin behind the rib cage and let it fly. He did I huge mule kick and took off like a bat out of hell. When I went to check my arrow and only got 6 1/2". I feel sick. Anyway, I backed out and going back with my dog, I just have to make sure I didn't get lucky. My dog has found two pigs for me so hopefully this buck is dead and she can help find it. I swear if she tracks this buck I'm taking her to Outback.
          Good luck. Sounds like a buck I have video of. Completely busted up 8 point that is now a 5 point. Looks like he has raided everyone's feeder for the past 6 1/2 years successfully. Sucker is huge. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Did that fella Biglig every find his buck? Anyone else get one out there?

Comment

I searched for about two hours with my dog, not a drop of blood.
              Originally posted by Uncle Slim Jim View Post
              Did that fella Biglig every find his buck? Anyone else get one out there?

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
                I searched for about two hours with my dog, not a drop of blood.
                Bummer man. That sucks. Im gonna go sit this afternoon. Hoping the cold front brings em out. Sure would be nice to get my first ever deer.

Comment

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                  Bummer man. That sucks. Im gonna go sit this afternoon. Hoping the cold front brings em out. Sure would be nice to get my first ever deer.

I got my first archery deer out there a few years ago a spike on the last day over acorns I had froze from earlier in the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                    I got my first archery deer out there a few years ago a spike on the last day over acorns I had froze from earlier in the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Seems like a good idea. With all the acorns on the ground they dont seem to give a good god dam about my corn.

Comment

I must be the worst whitetail hunter in texas. 20+ sits, 300+ images on trail cam and 0 pics of deer during daylight (mostly leaves blowing in the wind)
                      . Seems like its time to tear my whole setup down and move to a new spot.

Comment

I must be the worst whitetail hunter in texas. 20+ sits, 300+ images on trail cam and 0 pics of deer during daylight (mostly leaves blowing in the wind)
                        . Seems like its time to tear my whole setup down and move to a new spot.
                        What is your setup like? Wide open pasture setting or dense woods with game trails running through? Ground blind or up in a tree?Chances are if you have deer on camera you aren't far from where you need to be. Could literally move 20 yards and see deer immediately.

Comment

I had three Spikes and a legal 7 point eating corn in front of me today for 20 min at a time. I think the gtown acorn curse might be over!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
                            What is your setup like? Wide open pasture setting or dense woods with game trails running through? Ground blind or up in a tree?Chances are if you have deer on camera you aren't far from where you need to be. Could literally move 20 yards and see deer immediately.

Its a small clearing surrounded by juniper, oaks, and bloodweed. Got a tree stand in an oak. A couple game trails running through. On the other side of my clearing theres a more open spot with several trails intersecting and a copse of oaks that i can build a little brush blind in. Thinking about calling in sick and setting up there tomorrow morning.

Comment

Its a small clearing surrounded by juniper, oaks, and bloodweed. Got a tree stand in an oak. A couple game trails running through. On the other side of my clearing theres a more open spot with several trails intersecting and a copse of oaks that i can build a little brush blind in. Thinking about calling in sick and setting up there tomorrow morning.
                              It sounds like you have one of two things probably happening. You are either setup in or near a bedding area and are busting the deer out when you walk I'm or you are too open/visible in your tree and they see you before you have the chance of seeing them. If you have the luxury of moving 80+ yards away that might help. I also think a ground blind setup would help eliminate the "them seeing you" piece. If you have a feeder, you might consider taking it down. They associate feeders with people and tend to be on high alert out there when they see a feeder. Drop a berry block from tractor supply and just hand corn once a week with 10+ lbs of corn. That will keep them coming to your spot.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
                                It sounds like you have one of two things probably happening. You are either setup in or near a bedding area and are busting the deer out when you walk I'm or you are too open/visible in your tree and they see you before you have the chance of seeing them. If you have the luxury of moving 80+ yards away that might help. I also think a ground blind setup would help eliminate the "them seeing you" piece. If you have a feeder, you might consider taking it down. They associate feeders with people and tend to be on high alert out there when they see a feeder. Drop a berry block from tractor supply and just hand corn once a week with 10+ lbs of corn. That will keep them coming to your spot.

That all sounds good. I was considering doing most of that anyway. Thanks. How do those bio rocks work? I put one out but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Comment

Working...
                                X