Hacks,tips and how to ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hacks,tips and how to ideas

I was thinking a thread of quick fixes and how to's would be nice . These ideas we can apply whether fishing, hunting, camping or just around the house.
    Anyway here's mine : I always disliked hauling propane cylinders in my truck bed. If you have more than one you have the task of securing them with a bungee cord or ratchet strap and they no doubt topple over. Try this next time . Get on old milk crate and put that cylinder in there . This tip is useful if you have more than one as well , purchase a crate for each cylinder you own and when your not using them you can store other items in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great idea for a thread. can't think of anything at the moment, i'll check back so see if something jogs my memory

Comment

I've been doing the milk crate thing for years on the small ones. Never could find a good way to haul the big RV sizes though.

Comment

Done this plenty myself.

Comment

Great tip!

No pics, but this year I decided to make use of the strings from the tops of feeder bags and have been tying them around camp and around my stands as a cheap & free wind indicators. They are about 3-4' long when pulled all the way off the bag and catch the wind well.
          I hang them from the varmint cages on the feeders and limbs near the stand.

Comment

Best part of working for a school district is I can get the milk crates. I use them for everything. Have several for my propane, use them for baseballs, clothes, etc.

Here is something that I do. We live in a rental right now and I don't have much of a "shop" but I love to tinker around and make things. My tail gate is my work table. If I have to cut wood or something, I lay it on the tail gate and strap it down from the ball to the tie down in the bed so it will not move as I cut it. I can stack scrap wood on it to make it tighter. Quick and easy and works. If I don't feel like running an extension cord, it works for the hack saw as well.

Comment

Here's another idea for a workbench - old ironing board. Perfect height if you need to have tools handy while working on a vehicle and good height for standing and working as well.

Comment

If you have a winch on your truck, get you a nice pully to throw in the tool box. Double lining will double your puling power if you get in a bind.

if you buy a tent blind, go ahead and scotch guard the heck out of it before you put it out. this will triple the life of them..

Cutting a rope or cable? Tape it good with duct tape and cut in the middle of the tape to keep from fraying.

Comment

Nice Gar, I use electrical tape on rope before cutting and like scotch guard on boots too.

One from my wife for knife storage. Knives slide around and edges show in a drawer.
                  She filled up a "urn" or vase thingie with black beans, poke the knives in tip down!
                  Handles are up and easy to grab. Works great!!
                  Any small dried bean would work I'd guess? We love it.

Glue a small magnet to one side of scissors or work shears, stick to anything metal so you can "relocate" after using. Mine go back to the same shelf bracket after use, Genius!

Don't answer your phone if your are busy or don't want to talk. It's OK to not answer every dang call if you are a grown up. Kids, that's different.

Buy a bundle of paint stirrers, very handy for all kinds of stuff.

Hang a bucket of paint you are going to use in a few days on a bungee/rope stretched across the bed of your truck so it dangles/swings. Well stirred paint after a few days of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                    Here's another idea for a workbench - old ironing board. Perfect height if you need to have tools handy while working on a vehicle and good height for standing and working as well.
                    I have dis-assembled / cleaned many a pistol on an ironing board.

Comment

I went to using a large Rubbermaid tub to haul my camp gear. It'll fit a stove burner, sleeping bag, hunting backpack, clothes backpack (about 3 days worth of clothes), archery tackle box, and extra propane bottles for the aforementioned burner. Just tape the lid down or use elastic cord and you can toss it in the bed of a pickup or strap it on a trailer and roll on.

Haven't made it yet, but I am going to make an arrow tune out of some 4" PVC and caps. Water tight with a simple gasket and tough enough to just throw the arrows wherever they will fit.

I found a big tackle box at bass pro on sale and I have vanes, super glue, fletching jig, field points, broadheads, a bow scale, Allen wrenches, and a couple other smaller tools in it all organized into sections. Easy to bring to camp.

Sounds stupid, but we bought $10 slip on shoes from Walmart a couple years ago strictly to use wearing on the porch and in the cabin. Saved a LOT of cleaning time at the end of the trip.

There are more, but these are the ones I swear by.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                        I've used an old ironing board with the cushion removed (just expanded metal top) as a fishing cleaning table for years now. Super easy clean up, just hose it down and hang it. If it gets really funky, spray with bleach cleaner, hose and hang up. Light and easy to move, set up. Stable enough for a patio, or weigh the feet down with cinderblocks to REALLY make it stable. My dad bolted two 1X10's on it, and it's wide enough and long enough for two people to work on. He added two screws on the wide end to hang a trash bag to slide the remains into after cleaning a fish.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                          I went to using a large Rubbermaid tub to haul my camp gear. It'll fit a stove burner, sleeping bag, hunting backpack, clothes backpack (about 3 days worth of clothes), archery tackle box, and extra propane bottles for the aforementioned burner. Just tape the lid down or use elastic cord and you can toss it in the bed of a pickup or strap it on a trailer and roll on.

Haven't made it yet, but I am going to make an arrow tune out of some 4" PVC and caps. Water tight with a simple gasket and tough enough to just throw the arrows wherever they will fit.

I found a big tackle box at bass pro on sale and I have vanes, super glue, fletching jig, field points, broadheads, a bow scale, Allen wrenches, and a couple other smaller tools in it all organized into sections. Easy to bring to camp.

Sounds stupid, but we bought $10 slip on shoes from Walmart a couple years ago strictly to use wearing on the porch and in the cabin. Saved a LOT of cleaning time at the end of the trip.

There are more, but these are the ones I swear by.
                          I do all of those! I just bought some huge locking tubs that I can fit all of my stuff in. Whenever I'm ready to go I just toss them in the back of the truck. The slip on shoes really is a time saver

Comment

One my grandad taught me. I like to store loose screws, nails, whatever in glass jars. Screw the lids to the underside of wooden shelves and screw the jar into the lid. Keeps them in one place and out of the way.

Comment

I carry all my stuff in plastic foot lockers. One has hunting gear, one has beach camping gear and another lease gear. Just grab it and go.
                              Always keep a change of clothes in your truck as well

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X