Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)
Default DFW Storm and Insurance Advice

Most know the big storms that hit north texas on sunday. Unbelievable that only one death is being reported with all the trees and power lines down. I think we exceeded the 70 mph winds they reported at Love Field.

Anyway, having never made a homeowners claim, would like to get some advice on whether you let the contractors negotiate with your insurance company. I think i'd like to do that myself and only request they make the bids to me. So many offer to cover your deductible so they can jack up the price of the work. I also have so much damage, i don't think any one roofing company can do it all (they will surely claim that they can).

So what would you suggest? Right now, i'm making a list of the damage before i make a claim with Allstate. So far i have:

1. Roof (shingles)
2. Roof attic vents
3. Tree limbs hanging by a thread
4. windows broken
5. siding paint chipped
6. fence dented by hail
7. ac condenser dented by hail
8. gutters?
Attached Images

TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

roof pic
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
WilliamL
Four Point

I have been through a couple of storms with home damage. I have a roofer I trust and had him there with the adjuster for the inspection of the damage. That way they are on the same page. I used Quick roofing, Chad Quick is a good guy.

Just find a good roofer that knows his stuff and let him deal with the adjuster and give you a quality job. Most good roofing companies can help you with other trades for a smoother job (windows, gutters).

Hope this helps.
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
jessBsemple
Four Point

Call the insurance company and get in the rotation. The roofer will most likely tell you that. The insurance company will come out and inspect. They did our house with a drone. I was able to see pictures of rusted nail heads and places where the insulators/granules were worn off (19 year old roof). I thought it would be a big ordeal, but it wasn't! FWIW, I would stick with a (one) contractor.
jessBsemple is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Stay out of it! Let your insurance company and the adjuster handle everything. If you have a question, contact the adjuster or your agent.

I have had the 3rd roof just put on after a storm last May and all I have ever done is to contact my insurance agent, let the adjuster do his work and inspect the final job when done. Never had a problem and everytime the roofer or contractor has covered the deductible. That is what a good agent will do for you, take care of you!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Huntsville

My girl friend lives at Elan City Lights and her building collapsed. She has no clue when she will see insurance money for her car but her apartment unit is on the opposite side that was hit by the crane so everything inside is fine.
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Call your insurance agent. You are doing his job. If you are with Allstate call your agent. Not the 1-800 number. He is there to help YOU!!! He will give you advise on how to move forward. I would get a roofer that I trust out to look at it also
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

I've never liked the idea of letting the roofer (or whomever) 'negotiate' on my behalf with the insurance company - it seems like too much opportunity for shenanigans.
However, a good friend is a contractor that works on damaged buildings (fire, etc.). He said that he has to use the respective insurance company's software to do his bid anyway, so he can't just add stuff or charge more for each sheet of sheetrock, etc. He inputs the materials and the insurance company software tabulates totals.
And besides, didn't we agree to our deductible when we bought the insurance policy? Working some side deal to avoid the deductible has always seemed unethical to me.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
I've never liked the idea of letting the roofer (or whomever) 'negotiate' on my behalf with the insurance company - it seems like too much opportunity for shenanigans.
However, a good friend is a contractor that works on damaged buildings (fire, etc.). He said that he has to use the respective insurance company's software to do his bid anyway, so he can't just add stuff or charge more for each sheet of sheetrock, etc. He inputs the materials and the insurance company software tabulates totals.
And besides, didn't we agree to our deductible when we bought the insurance policy? Working some side deal to avoid the deductible has always seemed unethical to me.
It's highly illegal too and can get yourself in a heap of trouble.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Allstate is pretty well known for being a nightmare to deal with when it comes to hail/wind claims. Get yourself a good roofer and let them handle your claim, because Allstate is notorious for denying "no brainer" claims. I am sending you a PM.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

My boss had an adjuster out this morning. He uses esurance which I think is Allstate. They doing a new roof, gutters, siding, garage doors, grill and I think a couple windows
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

I have zero issue paying the deductible out of pocket. Guessing the total will be big. Just noticed my metal garage doors are hail damaged today as well. First appt for adjuster is next Wednesday. They must be slammed. Also learned today that this was considered a cat claim or catastrophe claim. Seems like that has added to the timeline.

Fence pic attached.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Czechfish
Four Point

New roof and fence for sure...
Czechfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
elkaholic9292
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Chromo CO.

Don’t forget what insurance is...it’s one company paying you to make you whole again, not profit. That’s why contractors use the same (exactimate) software as adjusters. Having been on both sides of the table, I can say it works best when the two people, one who knows the damage and one who knows how to fix it come to an agreement on your behalf. The only shenanigans come from the one who knows the damage gives you $40,000 to fix it, and you try to find a contractor for $20,000 to come out ahead. That $20,000 in your pocket isn’t meant for you to begin with.
elkaholic9292 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #15
Secrest
Four Point

Hunt In: Bronte & Mt. Joy,Tx

Unless the damage is unbearable... wait until after all the summer storms before you make a claim. You could possibly be hit again and wouldn’t want to make 2 claims
Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
Terran28
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever is free and/or cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamL View Post
I have been through a couple of storms with home damage. I have a roofer I trust and had him there with the adjuster for the inspection of the damage. That way they are on the same page. I used Quick roofing, Chad Quick is a good guy.

Just find a good roofer that knows his stuff and let him deal with the adjuster and give you a quality job. Most good roofing companies can help you with other trades for a smoother job (windows, gutters).

Hope this helps.
I agree with William, it probably also helps Chad Quick married my sister...lmao Go with Quick Roofing...
Terran28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiz View Post
My girl friend lives at Elan City Lights and her building collapsed. She has no clue when she will see insurance money for her car but her apartment unit is on the opposite side that was hit by the crane so everything inside is fine.
God bless her! I know they just basically evicted everyone. Again can't believe just one death.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrest View Post
Unless the damage is unbearable... wait until after all the summer storms before you make a claim. You could possibly be hit again and wouldn’t want to make 2 claims
I would go ahead and make the claim. But I might wait until August/Sept to get the repairs completed. Don't wait too long though. You want it to be fairly warm when they replace the roof....so the shingles get a good seal before winter.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Got a phone call from Allstate who said they got "everything" approved for $14,600. this is a roof for 3,200 sf two story house. i almost laughed out loud but was able to hold it in. Neighbor had $49K approved. i'm still waiting on the claim details in writing.

i still haven't talked to a decision maker at allstate. they send out someone to take pictures and a desk adjuster writes up the claim. it took 6 days between inspection and claim which is ridiculous. Lots of work left to do.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

6 days? Ha! I have customers who had to wait 2 weeks for an adjuster and another 7-10 to obtain the claim.

A roofer isn’t “negotiating” with the insurance company, at least not a reputable one. They are working to ensure all the components needed to properly re-roof your house are included in the claim. I have seen claims that measured the WRONG roof or failed to include necessary components like high profile ridge.

I can’t speak for other roofing companies, but my price is the same whether your claim total is $1000 or $100,000, and it’s the same whether the money comes from your or Allstate.
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #21
muley4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rockies, West Texas, Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Got a phone call from Allstate who said they got "everything" approved for $14,600. this is a roof for 3,200 sf two story house. i almost laughed out loud but was able to hold it in. Neighbor had $49K approved. i'm still waiting on the claim details in writing.

i still haven't talked to a decision maker at allstate. they send out someone to take pictures and a desk adjuster writes up the claim. it took 6 days between inspection and claim which is ridiculous. Lots of work left to do.
Ours came out the same way. Sometimes it’s better to work with a roofer if you have one in mind or one you trust. They can act as a middle man and may actually be able to improve your claim and the quality of roof.
muley4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top