Pine plantation bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pine plantation bucks

So every year around August i dump a couple of bags of corn, 30 yards inside one of the nastiest pine thickets you can imagine. It borders a fresh clear cut. I always get four or five pope and young bucks on camera this time of year. I only hunt the spot once or twice before the rut to try to catch them in there routine. My problem is that i'm out of state and i cannot continue to bait on a regular basis. Also i believe this is a bedding area that is hard to get in without the bucks busting me. Which in turn leads to no further pics. They bed so close to the corn site that i think its a lost cause. They leave this core area during the rut. Should i get in 1 hours before they come to bed? Or simply leave them alone in this area and try to find another place near to make a kill?

Back when I hunted the Piney Woods I loved to use mock scrapes with freeze dried tarsal glands that I collected. The mock scrapes worked great in pre-rut, that seemed to be the best way to see mature bucks regular. Just don't over do it and the results will be forthcoming.

Comment

I would find a place that allows you to get to your stand from another direction. I had a place that no matter how or at what time I got there, I had a doe bust me. The wind changed direction all day long. I finally up and got another spot.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
        Back when I hunted the Piney Woods I loved to use mock scrapes with freeze dried tarsal glands that I collected. The mock scrapes worked great in pre-rut, that seemed to be the best way to see mature bucks regular. Just don't over do it and the results will be forthcoming.
        I want to know more about freeze dried tarsal glands????

Comment

ttt

Comment

Stay out of the bedding area. Find an oak tree that has some acorns on it. Start hand corning around there.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
              Stay out of the bedding area. Find an oak tree that has some acorns on it. Start hand corning around there.
              I like it.... Stay out... i'm trying... lol

Comment

" pine plantation "

is this a private, lease, community lease or public ?

if no one is going to hunt there stay out or find an alternative route.

if someone is most likely going to hunt there I would sneak there like a ghost an hour early.

i ones had a community lease by Rusk and had the same problem, I tried to avoid an area only for a weekend that i was not there someone shot the deer i have been seen for the last 10 months.

Comment

Working...
                X