No announcement yet.

Corn all year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feed all year and that's why we burn though about 120,000 lbs of corn plus protein all year

Comment

Is there such a thing as cheap protein that can go in a feeder or on the ground after season and be fed through summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley64 View Post
        We typically feed corn until the season starts, then we switch to a simple mixture of water and maple syrup. We take that and hand spray all the small shrubs in the area and it lets the deer make useable food out of normally inedible substances. Hell sometimes we just spray with water and that does the trick. You have to be careful though cause the syrup attracts the snakes something awful.

Holy Aunt Jemima...

So you are saying syrup makes brush deer normally avoid (for whatever reason) now something they will eat? So how do you know you aren't "making them eat" something that will kill them with this concoction? Where did you hear about this? So you could spray syrup on say oleander and they would just munch it right up?

Also..you stated that you sometimes just spray the brush with water to get them to do it? Hell that should make everything edible after a rain right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
          Corn year round with feed pens.
          Us too at the home place.
          The corn that goes outside the pens helps us kill hogs.
          I feed protein in winter and dry summer time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley64 View Post
            We typically feed corn until the season starts, then we switch to a simple mixture of water and maple syrup. We take that and hand spray all the small shrubs in the area and it lets the deer make useable food out of normally inedible substances. Hell sometimes we just spray with water and that does the trick. You have to be careful though cause the syrup attracts the snakes something awful.
            Huh??

Comment

I have a corn feeder several hundred yards form my home. As I turn a curve to go on the farm it is right down the road and someone drives by it multiple times daily. It goes off twice a day heavily year round.There are always deer around it and they have become quite mellow. Very enjoyable to see them there daily.Even better when the rut comes around.

Strictly for entertainment. { I have no hogs }

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                I understand protein keeps them healthy, puts on mass and helps them make in the winter but I am on a pretty low budget and just can't afford the extras. I do what I can when I can. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck this year.
                cottonseed is about the cheapest protein you can get.

Comment

Corn all year?

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                  cottonseed is about the cheapest protein you can get.

After these flooding rains in the Angelo area around harvest time, I’m worried the price is going to be sky high this next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    After these flooding rains in the Angelo area around harvest time, I’m worried the price is going to be sky high this next year.
                    I may have to look in the Lubbock area in January

Comment

Originally posted by W-L-F View Post
                      feed all year and that's why we burn though about 120,000 lbs of corn plus protein all year
                      120,000 pounds????? Wow. How many feeders are y'all running

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Me and my kid was talking about this while driving home on 67 this afternoon.

I may have to try the maple flavored water.

Comment

Here's some biology to consider.

The first part of a deer's stomach, the rumen, is full of microbes. There are different microbes that breakdown different forage substances. The type of microbes increase based on what the deer is eating. There are only so many microbes in the rumen. For example, if the deer is eating a high starch diet, as provided by corn, microbes that breakdown starch build up in the rumen. This is high in energy but low in protein.

While the deer metabolism requires energy to breakdown protein, that energy need is far exceeded by a heavy corn diet. Thus, starch digesters build up in the rumen. This decreases the proportion of microbes that breakdown cellulose (plant cell contents), which occurs in high amounts in forbs (weeds), and hemicellulose, which breaks down more fibrous plant cells such as browse.

So, during the spring and summer, it's advantageous to decrease, or eliminate, corn in order to develop cellulose and hemicellulose microbes in the rumen to increase plant digestion and protein uptake.

In the fall and winter, crank up the energy (corn).

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                            Here's some biology to consider.

The first part of a deer's stomach, the rumen, is full of microbes. There are different microbes that breakdown different forage substances. The type of microbes increase based on what the deer is eating. There are only so many microbes in the rumen. For example, if the deer is eating a high starch diet, as provided by corn, microbes that breakdown starch build up in the rumen. This is high in energy but low in protein.

While the deer metabolism requires energy to breakdown protein, that energy need is far exceeded by a heavy corn diet. Thus, starch digesters build up in the rumen. This decreases the proportion of microbes that breakdown cellulose (plant cell contents), which occurs in high amounts in forbs (weeds), and hemicellulose, which breaks down more fibrous plant cells such as browse.

So, during the spring and summer, it's advantageous to decrease, or eliminate, corn in order to develop cellulose and hemicellulose microbes in the rumen to increase plant digestion and protein uptake.

In the fall and winter, crank up the energy (corn).

that holds true in a corn heavy diet such as hand corning. times corn feeders do not throw out enough corn to cause a change in the microbes.
                            while I do feed corn all year its more of a treat for them as apposed to a staple of their diet.

Comment

sharpstick35;13771445]that holds true in a corn heavy diet such as hand corning. times corn feeders do not throw out enough corn to cause a change in the microbes.
                              while I do feed corn all year its more of a treat for them as apposed to a staple of their diet.

Do you get your Cottonseed in Rocksprings? If so where? I come from Kerrville down 41, so if you dont get it in town where do you grab it from?

Comment

We have always corn feed year round. Only the last 3-4 years have I put out an occasional mineral or protein block while we where out there. I will also put some Chaffhaye out during hunts. 1 bag will be 3-4 sits, just enough to spread around with good scent. Also works great as a cover scent in the blind, just setting the bag in there after spreading some for the hunt. This is the first year I have actually fed protein and I did a mix of 50/50 to corn. Hopefully with all the rain in Rocksprings that it hasnt clogged up my feeder (fingers crossed). Really done feel like dumping out about 500lbs of corn and protein and cleaning a feeder just to hunt. But will.

Comment

Working...
                                X